You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Will AD work with an external hard drive?

Recently I bought an AP. I'm rarely at home computer, but I do not have one. To use it turns out only at work from an external portable hard disk. The opportunity to have a program with you, for study and mastering for me is very valuable. Now I'm thinking about buying AD. Will AD work from an external hard drive on other computers?

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.

• Staff

Hi m850,

It's preferred if apps on Windows are installed to the correct/default location on Windows. Apps can be installed onto other internal hdds during the installation by changing the install path. But external ones can be tricky as you first need to have them plugged in before the system boots. On macOS you should be able to run the app from an external drive.

Hi m850,

It's preferred if apps on Windows are installed to the correct/default location on Windows. Apps can be installed onto other internal hdds during the installation by changing the install path. But external ones can be tricky as you first need to have them plugged in before the system boots. On macOS you should be able to run the app from an external drive.

I need the program to work on any PC with windows. As a portable version. What would I be able to learn in my spare time, regardless of whether I am at home or at work. I want to have an instrument with me.

Windows 11 64-bit,

So far AD for Win is no explicite portable version, same as AP here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

This isn't likely to ever happen for a couple of reasons.  Making an app portable like that simply means it's very easy to copy to whomever without them paying for it.  Also, when you connect a drive to a computer, you may find that it assigns that drive a letter or volume inconsistent from the path the file was saved to or open from before, potentially causing problems.

This isn't likely to ever happen for a couple of reasons.  Making an app portable like that simply means it's very easy to copy to whomever without them paying for it.  Also, when you connect a drive to a computer, you may find that it assigns that drive a letter or volume inconsistent from the path the file was saved to or open from before, potentially causing problems.

Those who pay, they will continue to pay. The rest on the torrents download the version they need, and put it without difficulty despite all the protections. This is a problem with which you should not fight. Or rather it makes no sense. Problem

Now AP starts and works directly from a flash drive and it's very convenient. Perhaps not all functions will work as expected, but overall it's nice that the program is launched.

Windows 11 64-bit,