Is there a way to start up AD without any plugins, brushes - whatever is capable of somehow slowing it down?

I have an image which is nigh impossible to edit on my machine, and it was fine until a few days ago (it's part of a larger whole which I can't share publicly).

I am not entirely sure what is going on, but it is impossible for me to edit the bottom line of the attached - it will create new Art Text, zoom - anything when I try to get to edit it except actually edit the text and the. machine. slows. to. a. crawl. with. a. spinning. ball. in. between. each. action. (and yes, that is as annoying as reading that is).

The machine is a regular 15" Retina laptop with 16GB of RAM, an SSD drive and a Core i7, so it's not supposed to be this sluggish.  Just by way of a test, I loaded both the Neon Alleyway and Destroyer tutorial files simultaneously, and that all works fine and fluid, yet this small file appears capable of turning this machine into something that resembles Windows 10 on a Celeron chip with 256k RAM with both Word and Excel loaded.  

For reference, memory usage does not go up (I still have about 10GB free with the two tutorials loaded, nor does CPU utilisation spike, so I'm at a loss as to what is happening.  No performance settings (as enclosed) have been changed over the last few days.

Has my talent for breaking things struck again? :) 

deathtrap.afdesign

post-27302-0-88272200-1492008042_thumb.jpg

Regards, Binc

Warning: dark, twisted sense of humour.  Do not feed after midnight.

Wheat and BS intolerant.  Only use genuine Guinness to lubricate.

Hey BatteriesInc,

I tested this on my Windows machine before putting it on the Mac and it completely locked the app up. I noticed there's a symbol in the Layer Panel on the 'emergencies' layer and pasting that to a new document causes the same behavior. 

There's definitely an issue here. I'll poke it more and report back. 

See?  I told you I'm good at breaking things :)

The font report is actually one of the things I've been wondering about: would it be possible to offer an "embed font in document" option like you can have with LibreOffice documents (File - Properties - Font setting)?  The benefit of that is that it makes editing possible on machines that do not have a font installed without leaving it on the recipient's machine (which would not be right for reasons of font copyright).

If it would help I can provide you with the missing font, but I suspect that's not the actual problem.  This ring is one of five, and it started to get problematic after the fourth ring.  When I duplicated that fourth into a fifth it simply became impossible to work with it, an issue that persisted when I extracted that 5th circle into a separate file.  It's as if there is some gradual degradation or corruption somewhere that became too much to handle on the 5th iteration.

Meanwhile, I'll start to recreate this from scratch - I still need the result :).

Regards, Binc

Well we definitely need to get this logged for you. My only suggestion would be to delete them (if you can) and redo it and dupe it. I can't imagine that just duplicating text on a path is the culprit so hopefully development might be able to figure out what happened.

I wouldn't worry about the font. I don't think it's the issue either, I just got the freeze as the message appeared. The embedding request has already been logged numerous times but if you really want to you can pop it in the appropriate forum.

If you are able to reproduce it again, I'd be keen to know your exact steps. 

Thanks for your time so far :)

I'm much more comfortable with AD as when I drew this thing so I'll do it again from scratch.  

If it goes awry again I'll let you know, but I hope it won't - I actually need to use this thing in a presentation :).

Thanks for the quick pick up - I'm intrigued as to what you'll find.

Edit: it appears that that font embedding request is actually mine to start with  :P .

Regards, Binc