You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Software Massive Lag Spikes

HI all,

I should start off by saying I love Affinity. Even while it can be felt that it requires a few enchancements, it's none the less a polished software package. (I have both.)

Secondly, my workstation is quite high-end. 32GB's of RAM. Current generation i7 processor. 

Unfortunately, I have experienced some ridiculous lag overtime. So much so, that it seemed if I were to so much as sneeze, I'd have to wait it out.

I've noticed some improvement once I switched the Renderer during the Performance tab from my R9 AMD Card to Warp. A considerable one, but never the less, there are times when the lag spikes just keep coming back.

Has anyone experienced these delays?

Again, I'm not talking about some short intervals expected from a new software. I'm talking about long, almost painful freezes while editing developed raw photos. Sometimes, simply by moving them.

Hi.

Yes. All. And to make matters worse, I took Affinity to my laptop to work in a coffee shop.

To insure that I don't face these problems, i decided it would be smart to first develop the raw photo. Export it as JPEG. Then import it into designer so I can work on a banner.

The result?

A lag spike so bad that made me remember Pentium 2 Models with those supposed "Turbo" buttons that don't do jack! lol Note, the laptop has 8 GB ram, so while its a lenovo laptop meant for work, it should not go through this experience. My Photoshop CC on it was perfectly fine.

And yes, sure.  Would you like the Affinity project files or the images themselves? 

Hi,

this is freezing that happens to me from the times it was a beta.

Everything works smooth but as the complexity of the document is going up the nonobvious lagging starts to appear .. now lags takes around 30s .. it feels like it happens randomly.

This freezing forced me to look for a solution or walkaround how I can live with this problem until it will be maybe some day fixed or reduced.

I started to use shapshots and it made things a lot worse. I also have an AMD R9 card .. 

It lags in average every few minutes sometimes even few seconds and it takes up to 30s now .. so you can imagine it's on the edge of usability and it's extremely annoying. The CPU and RAM usage is not spiking or anything .. its just freezed. 

I love Affinity Designer. This happens in all my documents / projects. I tried to play with performance settings but no change, but to be honest I didn't tried to change the renderer to "Warp" since I was guessing that it will make use of CPU rendering instead of GPU which will make it a lot slower in general. 

Please do something with this !

Thank you.

Hi,

this is freezing that happens to me from the times it was a beta.

Everything works smooth but as the complexity of the document is going up the nonobvious lagging starts to appear .. now lags takes around 30s .. it feels like it happens randomly.

This freezing forced me to look for a solution or walkaround how I can live with this problem until it will be maybe some day fixed or reduced.

I started to use shapshots and it made things a lot worse. I also have an AMD R9 card .. 

It lags in average every few minutes sometimes even few seconds and it takes up to 30s now .. so you can imagine it's on the edge of usability and it's extremely annoying. The CPU and RAM usage is not spiking or anything .. its just freezed. 

I love Affinity Designer. This happens in all my documents / projects. I tried to play with performance settings but no change, but to be honest I didn't tried to change the renderer to "Warp" since I was guessing that it will make use of CPU rendering instead of GPU which will make it a lot slower in general. 

Please do something with this !

Thank you.

​On the contrary, it won't.

​GPU acceleration still isn't utilized properly by software algorithms, whether by Affinity or Adobe. You'd really have to look for the results to see a massive difference, no matter how beefy the card is. Most of the performance is drawn from your computer's cores. This is also true for far more intense softwares, like Adobe After Effects.

GPU really shines during the process of a 3D Modeling, but that's another debate altogether.

​I highly recommend that you go for the Warp setting. It is a temporary solution, and you really won't notice a massive difference, other then a relief.

​It looks like we won't be seeing anything further until Affinity introduces support for AMD technologies in a later patch or version.

​On the contrary, it won't.

​GPU acceleration still isn't utilized properly by software algorithms, whether by Affinity or Adobe. You'd really have to look for the results to see a massive difference, no matter how beefy the card is. Most of the performance is drawn from your computer's cores. This is also true for far more intense softwares, like Adobe After Effects.

GPU really shines during the process of a 3D Modeling, but that's another debate altogether.

​I highly recommend that you go for the Warp setting. It is a temporary solution, and you really won't notice a massive difference, other then a relief.

​It looks like we won't be seeing anything further until Affinity introduces support for AMD technologies in a later patch or version.

Actually I know pretty much about GPU and acceleration.

Affinity definitely use in some way a GPU acceleration otherwise the app would be crazy slow compared how responsive otherwise is.

What I was thinking all the time is that it looks like the texture uploading problem or something with LOD system that could have something to do with AMD drivers. My GPU have 8GB of VRAM .. so I cannot believe that id could not fit what I use .. so probably not the case.

The Warp setting just made the rendering slow and the lag was still there. 

It's definitely related to the images put into documents, the bigger the image the more lagging. 

To me it could be a bug.

The pictures that I use in the document should fit into VRAM with no problems yet still have lagging.

I there are plenty of people on this forum referring to this problem .. and few mentioned that they also had AMD card.

It is very important to notice this makes app unusable. I have to optimize my image use and resolution before doing anything and keeping a lot of separate documents. I have also noticed that since I started using snapshot function the lagging is now taking over a minute. 

Please somebody fix this.

Thanks.

Hi Fernando,

what you can do is to use low res images and delete those you don't use .. just for the "designing" phase .. at the end you can replace them with high resolution versions. This is what I did yesterday and seems I can live with it for a while. I wish I could find some better walkaround this problem ..

Andrej

• 2 weeks later...