You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello

So in figure 1 - am trying to join the pen strokes as defined by the strokes as in figure 2 - to construct letter A

However

1) It only works as intended if the lines form a shape such as a triangle and not if the lines are left open as in the figure

post-33533-0-81363700-1491834925_thumb.ppost-33533-0-79545600-1491834945_thumb.p

Am I missing proper workflow ?

2) Also when I use the pen tool to draw a line segment from the node point within the black circle to the top point of the blue stroke to form an A - if I choose the node point on the hexagon (within the black circle)

- the pen tool doesn't function as a pen tool but acts like a node tool.

The hexagon nodes are showing as it's the selected layer - so I can use the nodes as reference points to draw an A

post-33533-0-27543300-1491835785_thumb.p

Am sure my workflow isn't correct - just looking for an easier way to draw the blue lines to connect with each other and through the midpoints of the hexagon.

thanks

post-33533-0-81363700-1491834925_thumb.png

post-33533-0-79545600-1491834945_thumb.png

post-33533-0-27543300-1491835785_thumb.png

Hi, moksha,

AD does not handle unclosed pen strokes as shapes. That is why you can draw a triangle from 3 nodes. Together,  the nodes defines a single closed boundary. Adding 2 more does not define a shape, only a line.

There several different ways to create what you want. What seems easiest to me is like so:

Choose the pen tool, and draw the 2 legs of the A in polygon mode at whatever point size seems appropriate.. Hit "esc" and reset the pen tool to single line mode, and draw the cross bar. Select both strokes, and use the layer command "expand stroke." This changes the lines to a polygons containing the width of the stroke. Again, select all, and use the boolean add operator.

For more complex strokes, the present implementation of expand stroke may add an inordinate number of pints, and then the boolean operation can become somewhat messy.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet