You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Edit in Photo/Designer - add buttons for these commands in the main toolbar

Hi, 

I have been using Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo for more than a year now, and so far, I haven't seen any layer or layers group that I couldn't paste in both Apps with all their functionalities intact, which is totally great! But the downside is that it forces me to create many redundant layers in 2 similar files. When I work on an image file in Affinity Photo for example, I sometimes need to save this same file as an Affinity Designer file to work on it with different tools in Designer. Then, if I edit the original image file in Affinity Photo, I have to replace manually the corresponding image layers in the Affinity Designer file by the updated ones. 

I suppose there are a few ways to get around this, but there is also a very simple solution: the afdesign and afphoto formats look basically like the same format, the only difference, as far as I know, being the application it opens the file into. So why not create an Affinity Designer button in Affinity Photo, and an Affinity Photo button in Affinity Designer, which would allow us to open the current file in the other Affinity App?

Let's say I have created an image in Affinity Photo, and I need to add a compound shape for example. I would click the Affinity Designer button in the Affinity Photo App, which would open the file seamlessly in Affinity Designer, then I would create my compound shape, click the Affinity Photo button, edit it further in Photo, etc. The advantage of this method is that you are always working on the same file, instead of juggling between two similar files containing identical items that you would have to update manually.

Depending on the programming of the Apps, you could even go one step further and replace the Photo Persona in Affinity Designer by a whole Affinity Photo persona when Affinity Photo is installed on the computer, and add an Affinity Designer Persona in Affinity Photo, when Designer is installed.

Is it possible to implement such a functionality in the Affinity Apps?

Hi Glyphs,

You can already do this in Affinity apps. If you are in Photo go to menu File ▸ Edit in Designer... and vice versa to switch the document between apps.

Great! Believe it or not, I totally forgot that there already was a command for this:) I'll rephrase what I wrote then: Is it possible to have the Edit in Designer and Edit in Photo commands as Persona buttons? It would be even faster to switch between Apps this way.

• Staff

Hi Glyphs,

This thread is already in the Feature Requests section - i've edited the title to make the request more clear. Note that you can set a custom shortcut for these commands in Affinity Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts section (set the first dropdown to Draw - or Photo in case of Affinity Photo - and the second to File, then search the command from the list below - they are in the same order as the menus).