You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preferences... more, more.

Maybe its just me but I love to have LOTS of options.

What I have been seen lately on most apps is that the Preferences are rather skimpy.

And, from what I saw in Affinity Designer, even though it is not as skimpy as some, it doesn't provides us with as many preferences as it could.

For example, the ability to edit keyboard shortcuts, how the boolean operation should operate by default (dynamic or static), etc.

Of course, as more options are added, more possible preferences will appear. But do consider the possibility to add options for whatever you can, to preferences.

I say this because, when I'm programming and I find that my sub-routines for tools can behave in different ways when I adjust some parameters, instead of hard-coding those parameters in my code, I try to present them as preferences or adjustable parameters.

Yes, I do know that too many users don't even visit the preferences dialog (their loss), but the ones who do, love to have lots of options.

• Staff

Preferences can be immensely useful. They can also be an easy-way-out for a developer - if he has written a feature that does not work consistently in a way which a majority of users would expect. Ideally, if your feature can be implemented *without* any prefs options, it should be. That's why we're very careful what goes in there.

We also have the "Assistant Manager" - which mediates what the app should "do by itself, because it's probably right".

Keyboard shortcut customisation is a feature within itself - and it will be done - but not for the initial launch.

I'll give some thought to whether or not the bool ops should have a prefs checkbox.

Thanks,

AndyS

Customization = speed and comfort.  Great customization is why I choose to use Serif DrawPlus on my tablet PC over other programs.  That and other great features of course, but without the customization, it simply would be much more difficult to do.  I'm working in a very small screen and maximizing the drawing area while having access to the tools I need are absolutely critical.  DrawPlus allows this so that is why I use DrawPlus.  The greater the customization, the more likely I am to use the program.

• 3 years later...

About Assistant:
I hate when every Adjustment tool makes new adjustment layer without my decisssion.
Ok, I have to press Delete in Dialogue window, but in the Assistant Manager i get only two options. It would be nice to have the possibility to automaticaly Merge the change or Abadon it.

The pollution of Adjustment Layers makes me nervous and diminishes the possibility to keep my document well organised.