You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I've been watching the AP tutorials on YT. The gentlemen narrating the videos is awesome, as I am learning a lot, much more easily than I've ever learned on Photoshop.

So now I've come across a picture that I want to restore, but I don't know how to approach this task, as the photo has many color distortions. Can someone take a look at it and steer me to a video or start me off with some instructional support?

Would really appreciate it... :)

The file is too big for this forum, so here's the direct link from my server.

http://bangemout.com/ap

Thanks...

Hi, may be it is better to start with the RAW. I´m astonished that magenta is (for me!) only very few to reduce in AP.

Regards

lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

First, I should say that I am NOT a "retoucher." Second, I found it nearly impossible to work with the RAW file and get to a point that was much better than the original .afphoto file you posted. Anyway, here's what I did. In order, I added the following adjustment layers:

1 - Selective Color - There is a really weird set of color casts, plus those yellow stripes or shadows on the left arm are strange

2 - White Balance - warm it up (I didn't go as far as the solution just above)

3 - Added a PIXEL layer and set the Blend Mode to Color. Used this to "rosy" up the cheeks a bit, and tone down the yellow arms

4 - HSL - increased the saturation slightly

post-12953-0-34321800-1491838319_thumb.jpg

Then I did a "Merge Visible," duplicated the layer, and did a Frequency Separation. I worked mostly on the Low Frequency portion to smooth out some of the texture. The result I got:

post-12953-0-61571500-1491838341_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

That´s fine! But the first one has not so much magenta as I see.

AP and Pixelmator can´t open the NEF, Gimp does: 120x160 px (29 MB). It is to see the same color problem as in the afphoto.

But the problem is not longer one.

I saved the report (to apple) after break of AP, if someone want it, please tell me.

Best

lars

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

One more go-around. I added another White Balance layer on top, but masked it so I could warm up just the skin.

post-12953-0-82466400-1491840382_thumb.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17