You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry if one just past so this question is ignorant, just wondering if there will be able sales on Affinity Designer soon? I already have it for Windows and definitely do not regret it, but I would also like to buy it on mac so I can use it on my school laptop. I know $50 isn't that much to begin with, just wondering if there are any sales around the corner I should know about before I pay full price.

On past evidence, Serif seem to offer discounts to mark a special occasion (e.g. Apple Design Awards, launch of the Windows version, etc) so you might want to hold off for a week or two to see if the eagerly awaited 1.6 update is accompanied by a discount offer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

No longer valid.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 month later...

@Alfred thanks for the Info. especially considering you guys raised the price to 55€ recently this thing is really in need of a sale in my opinion.

Assuming that "you guys" refers to Serif, there are two points worth noting:

1. The price rise was determined by Apple*

2. I am not a Serif employee

*The price of the Windows versions of the Affinity apps is the same as the price of the Mac versions. Since the Mac versions are sold via the Mac App Store, the price is set according to Apple's pricing matrix; the Eurozone price of Tier 50 products in the MAS was increased to 54,99€ three weeks ago (2nd May, 2017) but at current exchange rates this is still slightly less than the £48.99 charged to UK customers.

Alfred spacer.png

okay, I dont have any Idea on what apple is doing. and I certainly dont see whether or not you changed the US price from here without checking it explicitly, so well.

but I think the same price as mac is slightly unfair to windows people because the affinity store doesnt send 30% into oblivion.

I'm sure there would be complaints from Mac users if they had to pay $50 whilst Windows users only had to pay $35, but in any case there must be some costs associated with the running of the Affinity Store.

Alfred spacer.png

well they would complain but that's the Apple store (or pretty much any other big store handling this stuff). and 30% cuts isnt enough for them as far as I remember a dev also has to pay a yearly fee or whatever to do anything.

selling the software directly on the website for mac as well would also allow them to choose their price freely.

apple's sudden increase of the Euro prices is not really funny in my opinion, last time I checked the US Dollar was lower in value than the Euro so already 1:1ing the prices was annyoing enough.

apple's sudden increase of the Euro prices is not really funny in my opinion, last time I checked the US Dollar was lower in value than the Euro so already 1:1ing the prices was annoying enough.

I hear you. Apple's increase of the sterling prices (from £39.99 to £48.99) at the beginning of the year was similarly unfunny.

According to XE.com a few minutes ago, 54.99 EUR = 47.67 GBP = 61.84 USD. Or looking at it another way, 49.99 USD = 44.47 EUR = 38.55 GBP.

Alfred spacer.png

well whatever their more or less annoying reason it put me off from buying this for myself for now (I am riding on the License of my boss who purchased it for the company but with just me using it (well there's only me and my boss and my boss couldnt even use it if she wanted to, due to knowledge) it is no problem to use it both at work and at home. since I control, own or use all the related machines.) the 40€ sale back when we bought it was long story short awesome, but I didnt have any money left at that time.

but I think the same price as mac is slightly unfair to windows people because the affinity store doesnt send 30% into oblivion.

It isn't exactly into oblivion. When developers sell through the Mac App Store (MAS), Apple's 30% covers the cost of downloading the apps  (& updates) from Apple's hosting service rather than from whatever hosting service Serif uses, which Serif has to pay for. High volume 'e-commerce' grade hosting is not the most expensive thing in the world but neither is it particularly cheap.

That 30% additionally covers the costs associated with customer billing, reporting & submitting taxes to the various taxing authorities around the world where MAS apps are sold, providing built-in DRM, securing personally identifiable customer data from hackers, & so on. It also all but eliminates Serif's need to buy additional advertising to market the Affinity apps to Mac users, & to a lesser extent to Windows users as well.

Considering that Apple now has MAS versions localized for about 100 countries & regions, for developers interested in expanding their worldwide marketing opportunities at a reasonable cost, that 30% buys a lot more than one might think. Maybe that's why even industry heavyweights like Adobe & Autodesk have a MAS presence.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm a new user of both the forum and Affinity products.

I've taken an interest in the suite just a few days ago and was pondering whether to buy it already or wait for the 1.6 version (and the supposedly following discount).

Affinity made it easy for me by offering both Designer and Photo for 39.99 today (probably because of the iPad release). 

So @Zaughtilo and anyone waiting for a discount: looks like you're in luck, too!

Cheers

I just hope it lasts until friday when I get new money.

I would not make too much of this but on the Affinity US Photo page, it says "Was $49.99; Now only $39.99" -- there is no mention of a temporary discount like there used to be. The Affinity US Designer page has the same verbiage.

Affinity Photo 

I just (just for the sake of it, also because it's fun to compare) kicked open the japanese page (since that's the other language I can understand besides German and English) and there it pretty much says:

the normal price is (insert regional price here, in my case 54,99€) but from now on it's (regional reduced price, in my case 43,99€)

no joke. the locale and the currency work independent of each other.

key word being "normal price" https://translate.google.com/#ja/en/通常価格

also the archive shows from december the same wording on AF-photo.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161219072717/https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

for starters not everything here has a mac. I have a PC that I got 2012 from the discounter, and now I am upgrading it with dead-cheap used xeons. also not everyone here is using affinity professionally a a large business or whatever.

also when affinity 2 comes, we will have to pay again (which isnt too bad of a model, but I still had to mention it)

I just hope it lasts until friday when I get new money.

The launch offer for APh on iPad is set to last for two weeks. ^_^

Alfred spacer.png

Serif are virtually giving this software away. If it was any cheaper, they'd have to pay YOU.

That's true.

On 6/6/2017 at 12:09 PM, My1 said:

also when affinity 2 comes, we will have to pay again (which isnt too bad of a model, but I still had to mention it)

That's also true, but I think that by then we will have written off the expenses and gladly pay whatever reduced update fee they throw at us (they mentioned as much somewhere).

Also, I love FOSS and have used Gimp and Krita a lot over the years, as they are both pretty capable softwares (especially Krita, in its nieche), but their combination in my opinion is still missing something, so I never could abandon Adobe for good. With Photo and Designer (and soon Publisher), I feel like I can finally break the chains, with little more than 100$. Where else can we get as much stuff?

well with a reduced update price it is ofc a lot better than buying new, but on the other hand it's a big "let's see" for v2, because we know pretty much next to nothing about it and first we need to get 1.6 out

Yeah, no doubt about that, but it also means it could take years to get to v2, all the while updating free of charge!

I don't know, maybe I'm just psyched because last tuesday I didn't know about Affinity and now I feel like a child with a new, amazing, surprisingly unexpensive toy.

We'll see!

true, affinity is awesome, I am riding on the license of my boss (she cant even use affinity, so no problem for that) but wanna get myself an own license, but with the recent price raise in Europe (thanks apple by the way) a sale is pretty damn helpful.