You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush vs. Pencil (Designer Draw Persona)

{I mistakenly said Pen tool a couple of times (corrected); I meant to only compare Pencil & Brush in Draw Persona.}

In Draw Persona, both the Brush tool and the Pencil tool {<—wrong! see below} can be used to draw with vector brushes (StrokePalette>Style>'Texture Line'). 

The obvious differences between Brush & Pencil (that I can see) are:

- The last drawn Pencil tool line is automatically selected – not so for Brush tool.

(This would be my criteria for picking one over the other.)

- A Brush tool line cannot have a fill.

- While the Pencil tool's stroke colour can be chosen with the Colour-Pickers 'stroke' ring, 

when you use the Brush, the Colour-Picker switches to two 'fill' circles.

¿ What is the thinking behind this? Why does the vector Brush's Colour Picker have two circles?

thanks,

- pbass

My understanding is that the the brush tool, used w. vector brushes, is meant for creating textured strokes, as in a painting. When the pen tool uses a vector brush for the stroke, the vector texture will enclose a fill. The fill can be a bitmap, not just a color. So the textured stroke can high light the image fill. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

My understanding is that the the brush tool, used w. vector brushes, is meant for creating textured strokes, as in a painting. When the pen tool uses a vector brush for the stroke, the vector texture will enclose a fill. The fill can be a bitmap, not just a color. So the textured stroke can high light the image fill. 

I see I made typos in my OP, and referred to the Pen tool when I meant Pencil tool – now corrected.

I was pointing out the differences between the Pencil tool (not the Pen tool) and the Brush tool

– both of which can draw vectors with 'Texture Line Style'.  {<—My misapprehension, see next post.}

(Although the Pencil can have a fill, I'm talking about both tool's Stroke.)

Wondering specifically about the reason for the Pencil & Brush's different Colour-pickers.

Ok, a lightbulb just went on!

I had thought that Pencil tool could start off with a 'Texture Line' Style (i.e., a vector brush); but

I realize now that when you select that kind of Stroke, it automatically goes back to pure vector line ('Solid Line' Style). I hadn't noticed that before.

You can change a Pencil line's Stroke to 'Texture Line', after the fact; but not while drawing. Got it.

The developers' choice of a double-sphere colour-picker for the vector Brush tool confused me – with no fill available, it can only have a stroke, right? (Even if the stroke is derived from bit-map image.)