You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

dxf file support? + spiral shape?

Hello,  I just want to say that I love Affinity Designer and learning vector design with it seems quite easy.  (While at college I opened up Illustrator several times and ended up hopelessly lost despite a fairly solid knowlege of Photoshop itself, but then I never took a Graphics Design course either and that probably would have helped...)  I especially enjoy working with your shapes and making interesting patterns!

The reason I am asking for dxf file exporting is because my sister has a paper cutting machine (similar to the Silhouette Cameo) which uses those files to automatically cut shapes.  So theoretically it would be super quick to transfer said file to her and then cut a bunch of designs into cardstock or other materials to make easy stencils. 

I realize this is a bit of a niche request.  :-)  She told me it would be a bit of a hassle trying to export an svg file into dxf.  Since I've never done it before I have no idea. . .

Another feature request while I'm at it: maybe a spiral shape, tweakable in multiple amazing ways? 

Thank you guys for all your work, you rock!  Also I have been studying your zine from corner to corner and it's been a lot of help for an image I'm working on from my sketchbook which may be hopelessly advanced for me but oh well, it's worth a try. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I was thinking about a spiral shape a while ago.  Maybe when I get some time.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 3 weeks later...

Yes illustrators spiral "shape" is pretty basic with no way to adjust it other than size.

I imagine an Affinity Designer spiral would have some options to control size, space in between lines, flip, start and end points etc...

Yes.... I would love it if AD would give us easy access to natural/organic grids and page divisions using different ratios like phi, π, tri, hex, pent, and other scales based on nature's geometries....

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

That stuff is coming soon.  And I've already included constants for Phi, pi and others in our expression parsing, so you can specify positions or sizes as a ratio of those values.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Oh man, that's exciting to hear! I guess I gotta read up on the documentation... Is there a specific section to look at @Ben regarding theses constants?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

Not yet... the expression parsing is a little involved so it does need to be documented.  There have been a couple of threads on the forum about it.

My dream is that one day we'll have context assistance when you enter values into an expression aware edit box.  The main reason being that the constants available (and their names) depend on context of what you are editing.

I'll have a word with the documentation guys about getting something done for expressions.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB