Hi,

it seems to me that the feature "Mask to Below" does not work properly. When I have a layer (B&W) prepared to become a Mask and I do click "Mask to Below" it inserts some corrupted Pixel layer to the layer below :(

Thanks

Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Professional Photographer based in Prague

Affinity Photo user - cur.ver. 1.7.1.404 @ Win 10

Hi,

yes, sure. Attachments included.... ;)

Jindra

post-34283-0-46785800-1491591283_thumb.png

post-34283-0-99490900-1491591468_thumb.png

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Masks are applied based on their alpha channel, not by their luminocity if I understand correctly. Could you try with a pixel layer where parts are translucent?

OK, shojtsy, good idea, thus it lead us deeper into the problem..... Eventhough it works so that the existence of pixel leaves the "unmasked" parts - which is actually vice versa of what I whould expect, but still it does at least something :D Second thing is you can not Invert it as it only inverts colors not pixels to transparency of course..... Third it is still labeled "(Pixel)" instead of "(Mask)".....

However the most important of all is that you usually do masks out of pictures/layers that are black, white and gradient and the result sould be transparent part, thus exactly opposite to what it is doing :huh:

Please for other comments (if someone encounteres such problem)

Thanks

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Thanks shojtsy, that one works at least for my purpose I do need it :)

At first I have solved it by letting the layer to be (Pixel) layer and setting it to "Lighter color", which worked for blacks and whites, but not for gradient (shadows) :D

While working with your advice I came to another 2 bugs ! :D

So towards Serif now:

SECOND BUG:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX DELETE - I found this one to be just my mistake....... :rolleyes:

THIRD BUG: when I do Ctrl + Z on the step "Rasterize to Mask" there is no picture at the screen and you have to move mouse over the picture to get the picture visible square by square to become visible again :D  Whauuuuuuuuu WHAT A BUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:  Remove it please ASAP as this is really a silly bug :lol:

However guys, still you did a good job, I do understand there has to be o lot of work behind it ;)

Thanks

Jindra

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

To illustrate the "THIRD BUG" I have inserted an attachment.....

In yellow are my post-notes ;)

post-34283-0-20941800-1491663187_thumb.png

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

Hi Jindra

The pixel layer still being called a pixel layer after using mask to below is intended. This is because it is still a pixel layer and you can drag it back out on to it's own layer at anytime at any time without any need to convert it back.

Your third bug is a simple re-draw error. This can actually be fixed quickly by slightly zooming on the document to force the re-draw. I shall get this one reported if it has not been already

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi,

OK, thanks for reporting the THIRD bug towards development team and thanks for that hint to temporarily overcome it (easier then rolling mouse over the whole image) ;)

Ad "Mask to Below":

As off I used the advice from Shojtsy, I do use Rasterize Mask followed by moving the mask to the layer I do need it to.... However I still do not get the point of the feature "Mask to Below". Might be just my fault, but I have thought it should work in different way....

Also on right-mouse-click I would expect "Apply mask" function, which would crop the layer to save memory (destructive step, but might be useful).... however this belongs more to "Feature requests" discussion more.... :rolleyes:

Thanks

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

In order to get the "Apply mask" functionality you have described, look for "Rasterize" in the right click menu. However I do think that there is lot of confusing things about it:

- the name is confusing if the layer is already a pixel (raster) layer and not vector.

- the Rasterize is never grayed out for pixel layers. But if it is a simple pixel layer it does nothing. An indication would be good that rasterize would make sense for this layer or not.

- after cropping an image the removed area remains in memory, and hidden outside of viewable boundaries. It is removed when Rasterize is done on each and every pixel layer. I don't like the design of that.

Hi fotojindral,

Regular grayscale pixel layers are just that - pixel layers - they don't work as a mask unless you convert them going to menu Layer ▸ Rasterise To Mask as @shojtsy pointed out (that would be the "equivalent" of the Apply mask functionality you are referring to. As soon as you do the conversion the pixel layer becomes a mask and affects the whole document (all layers). When you right-click the mask in the Layers panel and select Mask  to Below what you are doing is nesting the mask to the layer that's immediately below it (it can also be an adjustment or a filter not necessarily a pixel layer - although those have built-in masks as well). From this point forward the mask only affects the layer that's nested to and not all layers. The reverse of this operation is right-clicking the thumbnail of the mask in the Layers panel and select Release Mask.

Like other things in the program, there's more than one way to perform these actions: you can also do the same operation dragging the mask layer directly in the Layers panel to the position you want - so in this case to "Mask To Below" drag the mask layer over the thumbnail of the pixel layer to nest it. And similarly click and drag the mask thumbnail to "outside" the pixel layer it's nested to to "detach" it from that pixel layer.

I still think that "on right-mouse-click I would expect "Apply mask" function, which would crop the layer to save memory (destructive step" refers to what simple Rasterize does. 

Yes, shojtsy, I surely vote for that one. As I have wrote in comment #10 it is up to Serif whether they implement this feature.... If you guys (to: Serif) want it in "New features" discussion I will move it there :D

Thanks

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

I mean what you describe as expected behavior for "Apply Mask" it is already a feature. Just the menu item is named differently. The name is Rasterize.

:D OK, thanks ;) Would not figure it out.... then, yes, just change of the name/label would be enought :D

Jindra

www.fotojindra.cz

today also I stumbled over this problem.
In my case I use Affinity Photo for post processing my renderings out of a 3D software. There we often get renderings with antialiasing and the alpha seems different. At least I get a better result when I use the black and white information for masking instead of the alpha on a rendering. This is especially obvious when adding an Ambient Occlusion layer on only parts of the image. If I use the alpha as a mask I get an ugly rim in my picture.
I am glad that I bought Affinity Photo but also find many workflows within AP unnecessarily complicated. In this specific case also because I have not yet found an easy way to invert a mask or how to past other black and white information into an existing mask.