You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @Nimit Dholakia,

It's great to know there's already people excited about an iPad version (I know I am), but it's really a little to too soon to reply your questions. There's still considerable work to be done in Affinity Designer and soon Affinity Photo will be out too. Even if we wanted, it's hard to predict when the development of the iPad version would be complete. There's always some bumps on the road and things may get delayed. As soon as there's some more concrete information, you can bet it will be posted here on the forums.

I'm glad to know you're enjoying the Mac version :)

• 2 weeks later...

As we snuk out the teaser yesterday I just wanted to add that it shows a recent proof of concept with Designer running natively on an iPad, it's something the devs have made happen before but the code has changed a lot since then so it was a bit of a refresher to have another look. It is far from being ready as the app needs further tailoring to the iPad, with a new UI and new control methods. What's great to know is that the underlying code is solid and very fluid, very fast, so that bodes well for the future.

As MEB said, there is nothing concrete yet but here are some honest indicators from the team about where things are heading...

Timescales, really not sure, just as MEB said, and bumps on the road would change any fixed date we would dream up anyway. The team will want to develop the OS X platform apps with a focus on delivering the features that designers need before spending lots of time on other platforms.

Purchase, yes it's a separate purchase for the iPad but it will be very low cost, a fraction of the cost of Affinity apps for Mac – and that price point is already low!

Interoperability, files will be transportable between platforms as well as between apps. A design could start in Affinity Designer for Mac, move to Affinity Photo for Mac and on to Affinity Designer for iPad without losing anything, like it was made to work that way!

What hardware will you need? Not 100% sure yet, having the latest gear will give you the best experience with 64-bit processing built in but the team are also hoping to achieve iPad 2 compatibility.

:D

Thanks!

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

I cant wait for this to happen! If the rumors of a larger IPad are true. I will be be like a kid on christmas day! Put these together and Ronny will never leave the house! lol

Hi, i don't know where i can post my question ! But i think here is good ! 

AD is not out on ipad. But i would like to know if an ipad is useful as graphic designer, because i'm hesitant ( i want to buy one, but i'm not sure)

What kind of app i can use except Procreate… or iDraw (or AD  ;) ) to create a draft of my composition of my print design ?  

If i have to buy one active pen and for what ? 

Thank you for your answer. 

Clém !

When can we expect a version for my refrigerator? Or my car navigation system? Inquiring minds want to know!

OK, to be honest, I would far more appreciate a stable system for Mac OS X, without too many features, small footprint. Please don't bloat this great software with absurd wishes! Without a smartphone (I'm still smarter than a damn phone!) and without an iPad I really don't need a mobile version.

If I want to make a drawing while out of office, I prefer a sketch pad and a pencil because it is rain & water proof, shock resistant, doesn't need recharges or batteries, works in the arctics, deserts and jungles, doesn't have a 'best before x' stamp, and doesn't lose it's value.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

I'll agree about wanting a stable more polished Mac OS X product first, but I would also appreciate an iPad version while out and about because it doesn't need sharpening, is capable of communicating with others instantly in real-time, doesn't involve the killing of trees for both surface and implement, and.. you get the picture. Different people have different needs, wants and desires.

I understand the point you were making, but condescension to others who don't share your opinion doesn't help your case. ;)

Journey forth my friend, by body if needs be...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.14 beta || USB Keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, Wacom Intous 3 Tablet

Maybe you didn't read the sarcasm in the first line.

I just don't understand the wish lists for software. Sounds like coding a software is point and click. Instead of just trying to exploit the software as it is, some small minded people demand features which the majority won't need. This will lead to higher prices, a cluttered GUI, newer machines with even more RAM, more bugs and a larger footprint. People just can't wait for a development process. I'm waiting for someone to demand a musical annotation feature in Affinity Designer...

Interesting: Most feature demands come from people who don't use the software on a professional basis.

Even more interesting: Most people demand an iPad version to be free. 

As I said: I personally prefer a rock solid, fast and bug free application for my desktop and not a so-so application on my desktop and a kinky version for an iPad.

hobbyists discuss new camera features

photographers discuss new software

masters discuss light

Man one little video and inspires so much excitement and debate.  I don't think we have anything to worry about I am confident the resources over at affinity are focused and have a plan. Thanks for the teaser guys haha business as usual.

• Staff

Things are never as clear as they may seem to be from the outside... Why were we playing with our iPads? Well, one of the reasons is that when you play with the iPad version which is CPU-starved, you find bottlenecks very easily and I have now been able to improve the performance of certain layer effects in all versions (i.e. the desktop machine benefits from this) and have set myself some other targets to look at or do differently to speed up all versions of Affinity. There have been precisely zero extra features added to the desktop version and not one unnecessary line of code has changed. The iOS version is a separate target and builds using the shared back-end as-is without modification, so there are no harmful side-effects to stability or bloat.

I'd personally like an iPad version - but that's because I can imagine where I'd use it, and also because I've actually been able to use it and I can see that it's actually quite a lot of fun! That said, we wouldn't let it have any negative effects on the desktop version - there's no need and no point :)

Want to know what your UI design will look like on an iPad? Well, there's no need to export it or 'mirror' it onto the iPad's screen - just load the file/handoff straight to it and then tap a button to hide the editor UI! Make tweaks to your design on the device itself - it's really liberating! :)

Thank you Matt for allowing us to have a bit of insight from your point of view. It was definitely needed. I never doubted the rational, reasoning or sensibility of the affinity team. It is really nice to see that there everyone on the inside is as passionate about affinity designer as many of us are on the outside :)