You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD fixed ratio rectangle shape - draw persona

I'd like to be able to set the ratio when drawing a rectangle so could be 4:3 or 16:9 or 16:3 or whatever. Is this possible? if so where do I find this option?

Additionally I'd like to be able to create a fix sized shape. So when the shape tool is selected I could set the width/height and then just place the shape exactly with those dimensions. Again is this posisble? if so how do I do this?

Yes this is possible. You can plug in the exact dimensions in the W and H fields in the Transform studio.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

And having plugged in one dimension, you can use that value in an expression for the other dimension. For example, if you've set the height (H) to a particular value and you want a 4:3 rectangle, just type h*4/3 in the width (W) box.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

As above. If the Transform is not visible  go to View > Studio and check Transform. Should be on bottom right. Open and you can set size and where to put it.

Thank you.

And having plugged in one dimension, you can use that value in an expression for the other dimension. For example, if you've set the height (H) to a particular value and you want a 4:3 rectangle, just type h*4/3 in the width (W) box.

Perfect, thank you.

So you're saying that as long as you type both the W and H in the W field in the formular h*x/x, both fields will automatically be updated. This strangely doesn't work for me. I get a random dimension in W, and H stays the same.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

So you're saying that as long as you type both the W and H in the W field in the formular h*x/x, both fields will automatically be updated. This strangely doesn't work for me. I get a random dimension in W, and H stays the same.

Hi bleduc,

Like Alfred, I'm under W 10 and the method works perfectly here.

For example, for a rectangle with a width of 116.2 mm, if I type for height 116.2 * 4/3 I get 154.9 mm as expected.

If you type something in the W field, only the W field will change. ;) If you type both w and h in the W field, it will use the current width and height to calculate the new width. So with a current width of 116.2 mm and a height of 154.9 mm, typing h-w in the W field will change the width to 38.7 mm.

Hi bleduc,

Like Alfred, I'm under W 10 and the method works perfectly here.

For example, for a rectangle with a width of 116.2 mm, if I type for height 116.2 * 4/3 I get 154.9 mm as expected.

Or rather, for a rectangle with a width of 116.2 mm, if you type w*4/3 for the height, the program will use 116.2 as the value of w, and it will therefore calculate the height as 154.9 mm. :)

Alfred spacer.png

Or rather, for a rectangle with a width of 116.2 mm, if you type w*4/3 for the height, the program will use 116.2 as the value of w, and it will therefore calculate the height as 154.9 mm. :)

For example, for a rectangle with a width of 116.2 mm, if I type for height 116.2 * 4/3 I get 154.9 mm as expected

It seems to me that's exactly what I said! :)

For example, for a rectangle with a width of 116.2 mm, if I type for height 116.2 * 4/3 I get 154.9 mm as expected

It seems to me that's exactly what I said! :)

It seems to me what you said is that you type 116.2 * 4/3 but what I said is that you type w * 4/3. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

It seems to me what you said is that you type 116.2 * 4/3 but what I said is that you type w * 4/3. ;)

Ah, OK Alfred, thanks for the clarification: I finally understood! :rolleyes: I thought you used w as a generic term! But if I type L * 4/3 (L for width on the French version) the operation does not take place and the height does not vary. I am therefore obliged to enter the value in the field of the height, whence 116.2 * 4/3 and not L * 4/3.

It may also be what happens to bleduc for whom the operation does not work either.

Another way of coming at the same thing could be...

Make your original box with dimensions of the ratio you want. In the case of 4:3, use 4x3, 400x300 etc.

Now with the dimensions linked, change one of the dimensions to the actual size you need. The other will follow.

(or use constrain drag on screen).

Another way of coming at the same thing could be...

Make your original box with dimensions of the ratio you want. In the case of 4:3, use 4x3, 400x300 etc.

Now with the dimensions linked, change one of the dimensions to the actual size you need. The other will follow.

(or use constrain drag on screen).

Sure enough it's another solution, thank you JimmyJack.

But if I type L * 4/3 (L for width on the French version) the operation does not take place and the height does not vary.

Confirmed here: this doesn't seem to have been localized for other language versions, so you still have to type w for the width and h for the height. Please note that this is case sensitive, so W and H don't work.

I've spotted another localization issue, as shown in the attached screenshot.

post-8358-0-97088400-1491660195_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png

Confirmed here: this doesn't seem to have been localized for other language versions, so you still have to type w for the width and h for the height. Please note that this is case sensitive, so W and H don't work.

Unfortunately, I had tried L and I, and in both cases I do not get any results!

Edit:

Effectively the T (I do not see the ratio with height) of the transformation panel turns into H (which is more logical) but the two letters should be in lower case.

Trying again just now, I noticed that the tooltip for 'L' in the Transform panel is « Largeur » but the tooltip for 'T' in the Transform panel is « Hauteur » instead of « Taille », which would explain the 'H' in my screenshot. The Skew/Shear control is labelled 'S' but the tooltip is « Distorsion ».

Edit:

Effectively the T (I do not see the ratio with height) of the transformation panel turns into H (which is more logical) but the two letters should be in lower case.

I think it's a question of language rather than logic. Just as in the French version you need to use h rather than t for the height, in the German version you need to use w rather than b for the width.

Alfred spacer.png

Trying again just now, I noticed that the tooltip for 'L' in the Transform panel is « Largeur » but the tooltip for 'T' in the Transform panel is « Hauteur » instead of « Taille », which would explain the 'H' in my screenshot. The Skew/Shear control is labelled 'S' but the tooltip is « Distorsion ».

I think it's a question of language rather than logic. Just as in the French version you need to use h rather than t for the height, in the German version you need to use w rather than b for the width.

Yes and the difference in display between the transformation panel and the page is not a big problem since the height and width of an object are easily identifiable.

Thank you to the ones who answered my question. I think I get it now.