Sign in to follow this  
AlanH

Minimum Blur not committing at small values in Photo

I'm trying to emulate one of my old PSP9 tricks for making fine lines more readable: one of your contributors suggested using Affinity Photo's Maximum and Minimum Blur filters to emulate PSP's Erode and Dilate.

Using the split-screen preview, I see a useful degree of black-line dilation at blur levels between 0.5 and 1.9 pixels. However, when I click Apply, the image reverts to its original appearance. Only when I set the blur to greater than 2 pixels will the filter effect commit with the Apply button.

Is there something wrong with this - and is this filter really the best way for me to emulate PSP's 'Erode' effect?

Thanks,

Alan

Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54

post-36674-0-05880500-1491486115_thumb.jpg

Hi AlanH,

You are not seeing the image at 100% zoom. Since the filters are applied dynamically the preview changes slightly depending on the zoom level. If you set the zoom level to 100% you should get an accurate preview of what you will get after hitting the Apply button. If they still don't match then something is wrong.

Thanks, MEB, but It's not working for me! Did I understand your reference to 100% zoom correctly?

In this second example I have made sure view is set to 100%. Again, I can get a useful effect on preview (just wanting to broaden the thin black lines), but it will not apply.

I could not attach the screen capture MP4, so it's here: https://youtu.be/3rvplnQO0wc

Cheers,

Alan

[Edited - movie clip re-homed on YouTube]