Sign in to follow this  
Schubi63

[Fixed] AD crashes when moving artboard around

Hi guys,

I am fucked up beyond all repair. I am working on a project file with several artboards, symbols etc. ... and now my file has fucked up in the way, that if I move an exsiting artboard or a copy of one (I have to create more app-screens) AD just crashes. Now I stuck and don't know how to continue working with all the former work which is in that project-file...

Cheers, Stefan.

AD_CrashBug.txt

Affinity Designer | Affinity Photo | Affinity Publisher

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;
MacBookPro (13 inch, Early 2015); 3.1 GHz i7 CPU; 16 GB RAM

UPDATE:

I just started to see what happens if I copy, step by step, all the stuff from let's say the "buggy file" over to a new file. Copying element works. But when I copy an artboad into the new file and move the artboard there - AD crashes as well. :/

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Hi Schubi63,

Can you please upload the file using this link for us to take a look?

Don't forget to add you forum's username (@Schubi63) to the file name.

Thanks.

Hi MEB, yes I can - if everything goes confidential.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Yes, you are uploading directly to Serif's dropbox account.

All files will be deleted after being checked.

Good to know.

I uppded a .ZIP which contains the file, a .mov (desktop screening) of how-to-reproduce the bug and the crash report. Can you give me feedback if the .ZIP file was upped correctly?

Thank you soo much guys.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Thanks for the files Schubi63. Yes, it was uploaded correctly.

I'm also able to replicate the crash here. I'm passing the files to the dev team.

Hi MEB, thanks to you too.

I wanted to say, that the reason why the file got broken - might be that I accidently used a symbol into a symbol. I think it was like that. There was a point that the canvas wasn't drawn correctly anymore and so I went back in history a couple of steps to make it unhappen - and saved the file. Unfortunately not into a new file. 

So what are the next steps?

I'm sure the dev team will find the bug and fix the case so that it might not happen in future releases

But what does it mean to me now? Do I have to rebuild the whole content/file?

I hoped there is a chance to get that file fixed by e.g. deleting a corrupt symbol - but I just got rid of all symbols in the file, but AD is still crashing.

So I am afraid, that if I copy some content to a new file - that I copy the corrupt data as well and have wasted lots of time again. I hope to hear some good news from you. 

Thanks for taking your time. Stefan.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Ok ... NOW I am really pissed. 

I have to deliver content to my customer ( so I can't really wait until there will be a bug-fix or not) and so I thought I can re-created that file by copying the content step by step (I did't copy the symbols - I released the symbols before) but somehow I still got a problematic file now. AD crashes while I modified the artboard number 5 - which is nearly the half of the original amount of the corrupted original file.

And going back to a former AD Beta is not possible ... AD points out an error message, that I have to buy a retail version before. WTF.

Now I stuck and don't know what to do...

BTW:

I forgot that I will loose all globalColors and assignments of all objects when I started to re-create my work - AD users will loose endless hours ... especially if they have to do everything not only a second time. I'm completely confused and don't know how to continue now... :(

UPDATE - No1:

Hi MEB, the crashes are definitely caused by the existence of symbols. If you remove all symbols out of the symbol-library then you can move or scale artboards again, without bringing AD to crash!

UPDATE - No2:

Hey MEB, I isolated the bug a bit more ... you don't need have to clear the symbols lib. Try this:

select the entire content of artboard "phone_P_10_GameLvl_1_Start" (the second to the last) and in the symbols tab click on "Abtrennen" ("release" or "cut" must be the English function name to brake the connection to symbols). Then you can move and modify all artboards again!  

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Looks like AD is not yet ready to be used in professional work where time matters. It is unstable too much, thus risky to use. I also had numerous issues and you need to have great deal of patience when working with the bugs. The dev team could devote more time to beta testing and quality to provide bullet-proof features.

I wouldn't go so far to say AD is not ready to be used in professional work where time matters. In my short time as freelancer it's now one of my second project which is a bit bulkier ( I need multiple artboards for several states (of a software) and each for a number of target-devices, in landscape and portrait).

So the usage of symbols is a great time-saver, but somehow I have "learned" to not to use them as easy as I would do with normal objects like rectangles. That's a real shame!, Because they work and make sense. And I remember that I used the Beta of AD for my first big professional project last year - because I definitely wanted to use symbols. Back in the days I really missed something like "references" / "smart-objects" / "symbols" in the official release.

So I am still happy to have that piece of software.

And I really like the fast-response of the support-/dev-team here on the affinity forum. Even though I did not get a "fixed-project-file" back from here. But I'm sure that the next Beta will include bug fixes for all of these symbol-issues.

Last year I was posting a lot of bugs, questions and feature requests. And like I said, I was really surprised about the the response time, also the fixing and release-rate of the Betas. It was that great that I thought about asking to join their dev-team as a QAer. Because it was very similar to my last permanent position. In that company I worked on an authoring software for multi-touch devices for 5 years (from design to daily usage). And although they had a QA team - countless bugs where found by using the software regularly and in huge projects. Same here! I completely understand the situation with AD, the bugs, the fixes, the releases, the Betas - everything. I still loving it. :)

Finally: the more I use AD, there more bugs I'll find & post, the better the product will be in the near future, with every beta and release.

So keep on creating great software.

macOS Sierra 10.13.6;

Well I have the exact same problem and the exact same situation! Needed to give the file to customer today and now I"m rushing to create a new file from blank, hoping it will not start to crash when I move an artboard.