You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a mac pro with 4 hard drives and have tried the trial version of Affinity Photo but I have a few questions before I buy a licence:

(1) Can I download AP from the Mac app store to each hard drive/OS in turn? (if not how can I ensure AP is on each HDD?)

(2) By the end of this year I am hoping to have a new desktop mac - how can I easily transfer or add AP licence to the new machine?

If I could ask another question here ...

Is there a plan to integrate file management with Affinity Photo at any point in the near future?  This is important to me as it saves a lot of time jumping from one app to another and I prefer to work seamlessly.

Thanks in advance of any answers

Raysto

• Staff

Hi Raysto,

1) Is each hard drive its own operating system?

2) You can re-download the app on any future Macs you own by logging into the Mac App Store with your Apple ID and navigating to the Purchases tab.

We don't have any plans to add a file manager to Affinity Photo but we do plan on creating Digital Asset Management software in the future :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi raysto. Welcome to the forums.  :)  Some things you might find useful to know:

1. The Mac Affinity apps must be in the root level Applications folder of the startup drive. So for each of your drives that has an OS on it, follow Callum's #2 item after starting up from that drive, which will install a copy in that drive's Applications folder.

2. Updates are also distributed through the Mac App Store (MAS). Use the Updates tab for that.

3. Note that Affinity Photo requires Mavericks or later & that the Apple Photos extensions require El Capitan or later.

4. All MAS apps are covered by the same Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions. From that document:

App Store Content:

- The term “App” includes apps, iMessage and Apple Watch apps, in-app purchases, extensions (such as keyboards), stickers, and subscriptions made available in an app.

- You can use Apps on any device that you own or control.

- Individuals acting on behalf of a commercial enterprise, governmental organization or educational institution (an “Enterprise”) may download and sync Apps for use by either ( i ) a single individual on one or more devices owned or controlled by an Enterprise; or ( ii ) multiple individuals on a single shared device owned or controlled by an Enterprise. For the sake of clarity, each device used serially or collectively by multiple users requires a separate license.

5. There are no separate license keys for the Mac Affinity apps. As with all MAS apps, they are authorized automatically via the Apple ID used to purchase & download them through the MAS.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Many thanks for those comprehensive answers and the welcome.

Yes each hdd in my Mac Pro has a separate OS, three of which are El Capitan. The other one is mountain lion which I understand doesn't work for Affinity Photo (I keep it to use old apps when I need to).

I'm intrigued to know how the digital asset management software will work with AP.

Raysto