thorium666

Windows 10 1703 (Creators Update) : Photo/Designer completely fail to start with 0xC0000005

Dear Community,

don't upgrade to Windows 10 1703, both Photo & Designer fail to start after the upgrade with crash 0xC0000005. Appdata cleaning and application reinstallation is not helping. 

For now the suite is completly without function. 

keep Apple away...

Hi Thorium666,

I've just done an installation of Windows 10 1703 on a Virtual Machine and both applications (and the current customer betas) run up without crashing.

Are you able to go to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\CrashReports and %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports and attach any files found in these locations.

In addition to that can you attach the SystemInformation.txt and Log.txt files found in 
%AppData%\Affinity\Designer\1.0\ or %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0\

Lastly if you could attach some images showing the contents of the 'Details' tab of Task Manager showing what applications are running?

Thanks

Hi Thorium666,

Yesterday, I had the same issue and solved it.

Somehow Affinity Designer's profile became corrupted, I think.

I solved it by doing the following:

1. Keep the CTRL key pressed when you start Designer. A "Clear User Data" dialog will appear. 
  2. Choose Select All
  3. Click the Clear button

Designer will start with a default User data profile without any errors.

Of course this leaves a question for the developers as to what caused the user profile corruption..

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks all here!

I will try this evening. Both Designer and Photo are crashign in the same way. For Photo i yesterday already renamed AppData%\Affinity\Photo\ to AppData%\Affinity\Photo_ so it has created a new, clean folder with fresh settings. Still the same crash. I will check all the other tips here this evening and attach requested logs if required. 

keep Apple away...

Dear Sean P,

Enclosed you will find my crash reports for Designer 1.5.2.58 on Windows 10 Pro version 1703  64-bit.

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

{edited: just removed the file}

Cheers,

Dave

I wonder if it's a particular setting that's causing the trouble. I installed the Windows 10 update a couple of days ago, and Designer/Photo are working fine.

Hi Thorium666,

Yesterday, I had the same issue and solved it.

Somehow Affinity Designer's profile became corrupted, I think.

I solved it by doing the following:

1. Keep the CTRL key pressed when you start Designer. A "Clear User Data" dialog will appear. 
  2. Choose Select All
  3. Click the Clear button

Hi, 

this is not working, it is crashing dirtectly on click, ctrl makes no difference.

What is in the dump files? I don't want to upload it here for public access where it is unclear what the content of it is. It is not a good idea to offer here memory dumps in free 4 all access. 

keep Apple away...

Hi, 

this is not working, it is crashing dirtectly on click, ctrl makes no difference.

What is in the dump files? I don't want to upload it here for public access where it is unclear what the content of it is. It is not a good idea to offer here memory dumps in free 4 all access. 

That's fair enough,

Would you be willing to upload the requested information from my post here to our Internal Dropbox account here please? That way they are not publically accessible.

Thanks.

Just a note related to "fail to start with 0xC0000005":
- Riva tuner (mostly comes with msi afterburner) must be turned off if you are using it

- From what I have seen if your "renderer" fails, means gpu restarts etc. The application will crash like that.

A little bit more on the GPU note: @Sean P

- Installing the drivers through the geforce experience will reload the driver and will make any affinity product crash because they don't handle the case. << This is a bug, should definitively be fixed, most applications handle this.

- If a bug happens on the GPU it will also restart the driver, this is both valid on AMD and NVIDIA side. (Mostly the reason systems don't fail nowadays, it's not because they are bug free, but because they handle crashes better).

- If you overclocked your card, cpu, pci-e, it's possible that your system is a bit unstable for some use cases like AD or AP.

PS: I'm runing 1703, and all the previous insiders for that matter and they all work fine.

Crashs are either due to AD/AP having a weird particular issue (that happens) or some conflict with your system.

No problems here with either Current or Beta with the creators update applied today.

I suggest that you update your GPU drivers to the latest versions from the GPU Card manufacturers web sites,

Win 10 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch
 - Sys : Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

No GPU  restarts ( i know how they are looking like).

Files uploaded. Driver for Titan X is last actual (updated yesterday, no difference).

But good tip. I have excluded photo.exe from rivatuner (without disabling it what makes here no sense - it is required for GPU cooling regulation and OC) and the app is not crashing. Still, rivatuner is the same since months....

keep Apple away...

I have a Quadro 600 card capable of Direct X 11, but immediately after Creators update I have gotten the Direct X 10 warning message.  Affinity Photo ran fine the night before the update with the same card and driver as the morning after.  I have a separate post awaiting approval, but finally found this thread.  This may well be related to the issue I have in the Chrome browser...hardware acceleration must be disabled to avoid freezes and crashes, especially when doing anything with bookmarks.  So, the update has changed something in the way the system interacts with various graphics cards.  I also had to repair Environment Variables, uninstall and re-install 3 other applications and install the correct graphics drivers as the update installed some completely unrelated...lucky I had a display at all.