You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

help with moving/transforming image separate from canvas

Hi, I am new to affinity photo and just switched over from photoshop. I open an image in affinity photo, then I create new document of size I want to work with like I used to do in photoshop. I want to move the image into the new document and be able to move the image around without moving the canvas. the image is bigger than the canvas and I want to transform image to make it smaller but not exact size of canvas because I was to crop some of it off but be able to move image around to get it in right spot. It's hard to explain, but I want to move the image layer separate from actual canvas/document size like I do in photoshop, but it won't let me. does anyone know what I mean? Thank you 

• Staff

Hi emilytironi,

Welcome to the forums.

It may be easier for you to begin with a blank canvas already set to the size you want it via New Document. Then using File > Place select your image to insert and place onto the canvas, then using the Move tool or the Transform panel you can resize the image.