You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like to add text in a color other than black onto an image. I have looked at this question and the answers therein, but they seem to address both a specialized use case and the solutions did not work for me: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/34675-how-to-change-text-color/

This is what I did:

--create document

--add layer

--choose font

--type text

--add fill layer

--select artistic text frame

--choose color from color wheel

--no result

--select artistic text frame

--highlight text

--choose color from color wheel

--no result

Apparently there are lots of threads on Google addressing this issue. 

Does anyone know which solution works?

• Staff

Hi user099,

Welcome to the forums.

Select the Artistic Text Tool, now on the Context Toolbar you'll have an option for Fill, click and select your colour. Now click and drag on the canvas to set the size and then start typing. If you want to edit this colour, select the Text layer and the Context Toolbar will switch so you can select Fill again.

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, user099 said:

How do you "change the color"? That is the question. 

The same way that you would for any other object: select the text object(s) & set their fill color using the Studio Color or Swatches Panel, the Fill item in the Context toolbar, etc.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

"The same way" is exactly what I'm trying to learn. 

Here's an image. One of the letters was selected using the magic wand tool. 

598c3dec194a9_ScreenShot2017-08-10at7_03_20AM.png.84a4eb28047eb669a888adbfdf10435b.png

Now I select the new color. 

598c3e2ae8801_ScreenShot2017-08-10at7_05_46AM.png.c33bd9d7b4a1f81e691632f5d3e3ba9c.png

Click on the image using the Bucket Fill tool? Nothing happens. 

Context menu? I see no menu identified as "context menu." 

Click on the image with the pointer? Nothing. 

So the solution is...?

If I go into "Recolor" and click on a similar option, a pop-up menu permits me to play with the sliders but the image is not affected.

Clicking on the image does nothing. There is no "Apply" button on the pop up menu. 

Clicking on one of the proposed options does nothing. 

No "Apply" button there either. 

There must be some Affinity way of executing or implementing commends that I'm unaware of. 

Just tried the 'Return' key. That didn't do anything either. 

598c40dd9b152_ScreenShot2017-08-10at7_15_33AM.png.ed39a17079a84f21fd4a5a7bdb1f7012.png598c41271aa1b_ScreenShot2017-08-10at7_18_40AM.png.e108aaf18ac6650116f0f0eed2d1b236.png

There is a Context Toolbar (not menu) associated with the different tools. It is just below the main toolbar. Its contents change depending on the tool selected, so for example the Flood Fill (bucket) tool only has a Tolerance setting & a checkbox to fill contiguous areas when checked. The Move Tool (the primary pointer tool) has different contents (since there is no context for the Move Tool in which tolerance or contiguous areas makes sense).

If you use any of the selection tools (magic wand, selection brush, marquee select, etc.) to create a "marching ants" moving dashed path around some part of a pixel layer, the Flood Fill tool will only have an effect within the selection, & you must click somewhere within the selection for that to work -- there is no "Apply" button because clicking applies the tool's function.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

user099,

You are working with a pixel layer there which means the text is not editable anymore and can't be selected as a single text object/layer to change its colour attributes from the context toolbar.

Since the" text" is contained part of pixel layer you have to select it with the (pixel) selections tools first and then fill the selection with a colour or apply an adjustments to that selection to manipulate its colour through the adjustment. After you have created selection, use the Flood Fill Tool to fill the selection with colour clicking inside it (make sure the correct layer is selected in the layers panel) or click the Adjustments icon on the bottom of the Layers panel and add a Recolour or HSL Adjustment. Use the slider of the adjustment dialog to control the colour.

• 3 years later...

You simply CANNOT change the text color in any easy way. There are so many weird bells and whistles with affinty, it is unacceptable.

I tried all kinds of stuff, including the stuff here. Best I got was changing the color of the fringes of the text(???) like if I was editing a stroke color. PS! I don't have a stroke on the text. 

What about simply cutting a selection, for pasting it in another file? Ctrl and Cut/Copy? Nope. Cannot be done. 

Moving back to photoshop. 

11 hours ago, Dudesen said:

You simply CANNOT change the text color in any easy way. There are so many weird bells and whistles with affinty, it is unacceptable.

I tried all kinds of stuff, including the stuff here. Best I got was changing the color of the fringes of the text(???) like if I was editing a stroke color. PS! I don't have a stroke on the text. 

What about simply cutting a selection, for pasting it in another file? Ctrl and Cut/Copy? Nope. Cannot be done. 

Moving back to photoshop. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

It sounds like you may have a couple of problems, but we would need to see some screenshots and maybe a sample .afphoto document to be sure.

1. It sounds like you do not have text, but an image of text. That is, a pixel image rather than true text, which would be a vector. There are ways of changing the color of pixel text, but we would need to see it to know what to advise.
  2. If cutting a selection isn't working, it sounds like you are working with an image layer (will show as (Image) in the Layers panel) rather than a (Pixel) layer. You'll need to Rasterize it before you can work with the pixels. Layer > Rasterize in the menu will do it, or you can right-click on it in the Layers panel and choose Rasterize.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1