You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hey Affinity team,

The minimum 4 characters rule for forum searches is kind of ridiculous. Just a few examples for very common abbreviations one would use to find the desired topics:

RAW

HDR

Nik

All below 4 characters and therefore those words don't work in the forum search.

I would suggest that you lower the minimum to 3 characters.

Thanks

Patrick

Check out my site: https://five.photos

The forum's search feature leaves a lot to be desired, even for four or more character searches. I almost never use it, instead using Google or Bing. To restrict their results to this site, just add "site:affinity.serif.com" to your queries, for example like this:

RAW site:affinity.serif.com

But if you do that, you will see why 4 or more characters are required. Using Google, RAW generates about 3400 hits. HDR generates about 950, & NIK about 575.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:30 AM, R C-R said:

The forum's search feature leaves a lot to be desired, even for four or more character searches. I almost never use it, instead using Google or Bing. To restrict their results to this site, just add "site:affinity.serif.com" to your queries, for example like this:

RAW site:affinity.serif.com

But if you do that, you will see why 4 or more characters are required. Using Google, RAW generates about 3400 hits. HDR generates about 950, & NIK about 575.

I do the same thing. If you use Google Chrome you can add this query to the Manage Search Engines section in Settings - this will allow you add a custom keyword which can be used in the address bar to make things quicker. When I want to search the Affinity forum, I type in "aff + keyword" which is the equivalent to typing the "keyword site:http://forum.affinity.serif.com You can also use Google's Tool option to filter search results by day, week, month etc...

We're planning to update the forum software in the future which will hopefully allow us to better configure the search feature.