You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AI export from Rhino doesnt show any artwork in Affinity Designer

Hi, exporting artwork from Rhino3D as Adobe Illustrator file type, whilst it opens into Rhino ok, and displays also the artwork in photoshop, if I launch Affinity Designer and use File>Open and open the ai file, all i see is a white page !

attached a simple test, a 2cm square with a 1cm circle in middle.

Can anyone see it ?

Try opening it into Photoshop, its there alright !

Steve1

2cm square box with 1cm dia circle.AI

That is because AD only really opens the PDF portion of an AI file when AI saves its file with a copy as pdf (which is AI's default setting).

Rhino saves an AI file without the pdf portion. If Rhino can export to PDF, use that format.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have selected a simple 10x10mm square drawn in Rhino and gone export as pdf, up pops pdf24 (sheep icon), this prog thinks A4 A3 etc etc, as do all pdf maker progs. so ok that.

Open it in AD and I get an A4 shape with that square somewhere within, very much as the preview in pdf24.

When I export a selected item it should be touching the edges of the export frame.

I take artwork into photoshop and by having a box drawn around it, and selecting that box every time, I guarantee all the various parts will be same scale and in register.

This is giving my shape an A4 box in AD but I havent drawn an A4 box, so each export will vary and nothing will be in register.

If I open this pdf into Photoshop I just get the 10x10 open up, with transparent background, so Photoshop treats it correctly., no A4 white file with 10x20 box within it.

How do I get this to do this in AD ?

Rhino is at fault here for not including export as eps, which makes whatever you select hug the edge of the exported file.

They don't consider the world outside of 3D, no desire to allow users to also use graphics progs. A very insular approach.

Steve1