You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have panels designed to test quality in high resolution displays. One panel has different sections that should show fine differences between shades of grey. 

The 1-100 scale of the 'grayness' sliders is not fine enough. And the coherency between other scales is not clear (though the internal numbers could be correct.) For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 in 'grayness' shows up RGB values of  3/3/3, 5/5/5, 8/8/8, 10/10/10, 13/13/13. 

Obviously, we have 16 bit color in the system, and doubtless much better internally. We can export out to 16bit TIFF, which is the format that I need. So, I need that kind of precision in the color of my slides. 

Is there a 16bit color picker available by some means that I haven't discovered yet? Is there another suggestion?

Thank you.

LFE_GreenCone_Test.afdesign

Should I presume that no response means that

• I am not explaining myself well?

Current color pickers offer 0-255 for each color r, g and b

But we use gradients that should go beyond this all the time. 

Movies use 12 bits of color, that is, 0-4096 x R, G, B

UHD TV is commonly using 10 (0-1024 x RGB), and soon to commonly use 12

Shall I assume that there is: 

• no 16bit color picker (or better than 8 or 10bit) or

• no method of getting finer than the integers of 1-100 or 0-255 with Affinity Designer?

• even though the program colors are capable of far greater

• cameras deliver 12-14 bits

• cinema requirements are 12bit

Is this something I should put in the Future Requests section?

Not meant to be snarky...I am just on a quest...with a great need.  Thanks.

Hello Testtools,

it is already included :)

9bjUACf.png

just go into the settings(the menu symbol on the top right) of the Color and select 16bit.

eua4Xys.png

hope it helps. :)

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Wow~! MyClay, however did you find that? Many thanks.

For others who want to find this, on Designer 1.5.5 it is only in the color panel that you get from pulling down

View:Studio:Color, then any pull down except for LAB and HSL.

After done in that panel it shows up in the standard panels, but not the Apple Color Panel. And, it shows up in other tabs of other drawings and new drawings. That being the case, this really should be included in the Preferences GUI.

Again, thanks. This is terrific.

Should I presume that no response means that

• I am not explaining myself well?

Current color pickers offer 0-255 for each color r, g and b

But we use gradients that should go beyond this all the time. 

Movies use 12 bits of color, that is, 0-4096 x R, G, B

UHD TV is commonly using 10 (0-1024 x RGB), and soon to commonly use 12

Shall I assume that there is: 

• no 16bit color picker (or better than 8 or 10bit) or

• no method of getting finer than the integers of 1-100 or 0-255 with Affinity Designer?

• even though the program colors are capable of far greater

• cameras deliver 12-14 bits

• cinema requirements are 12bit

Is this something I should put in the Future Requests section?

Not meant to be snarky...I am just on a quest...with a great need.  Thanks.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19787-rgb-0-256-vs-10bit/

I also had to ask, did not discover that at first glance  :D

Thanks to you too MBd for pointing out that link.

I have a few other items on my list of things that I can't believe I was the first to notice, and can't find even though searching. I hope they are all already taken care of with a few clues from the crowd of associates.

Wow~! MyClay, however did you find that? Many thanks.

I don't know if it is how MyClay found it, but it is mentioned in the built-in help topic "Color panel." From the Color selection preferences and color models section:

Depending on the color model selected, you can also choose to work in 8 bit, 16 bit or Percentage mode.

{...}

2. (Optional) From the Panel Preferences menu, select 8 bit, 16 bit or Percentage.

After done in that panel it shows up in the standard panels, but not the Apple Color Panel. And, it shows up in other tabs of other drawings and new drawings. That being the case, this really should be included in the Preferences GUI.

The Apple Color Picker is a utility built into OS X; it is not a part of the Affinity apps. Its RGB slider mode appears to be limited to 8 bit values (0-255) regardless of the bit depth of the Affinity document. Also, it has its own color profile selector (details here in the incorrectly named "To Set the Color Space for a Swatch" section), which is independent of the profile set for the Affinity document.

In contrast, as you have seen the Affinity color mode options set in the Studio Colors panel preferences are applied throughout the UI wherever applicable. They are also "sticky," meaning they will retain the last mode the user selected each time the Affinity app is launched. There is no need for a preference for this -- each user can choose the option they prefer & freely switch among them on the fly depending on the needs of the moment.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for all the clues R C-R.

Here's the problem that someone like me faces.  

The first instinct is going to the Search under the Help menu. That proves fruitless. Color Picker and Color Panel gets nothing of value. 

Then, selecting the built in help slowly brings a useless page with a big logo...oh, there's the new Menu symbol...why waste a step? put the glossary on the first page. Whatever. Now what? What to choose. Color? Which of the sub-categories? Pick one. The one you recommended doesn't exist. 

Ah! Search. Color Picker goes in the wrong direction. Only tells of that feature and the recommended other topics are a rabbit hole, never delivering the idea of Panel.

If I had thought of Color Panel, I would have looked in the color panel of the Fill box on the main top bar that I have been using successfully...I would never have thought of going to View:Studio:Color – why would I? And even then the obscure Pref tool changes depending on the style, and I would have given up if I didn't see it right in front of me from my clay's post.

Now I know. But, it is beyond cumbersome. And I still can't find Color Panel: Color selection preferences and color models

Having used it for a few days, I think I disagree with your concept of Preferences as well. Perhaps it is because I don't like keeping the Color Panel open all the time because the pull downs from the top bar are so convenient but missing that pref tool. But I really believe that it is because I will always now work in 16bit and it is my instinct to set that from the applications preferences panel.

But, thanks. Don't mean to vent on you in particular, but in case a Affinity person needs to know how a not unintelligent 32 year user of Mac graphic programs expects to think with his tools and their help. 

@TestTools

A glossary of all the terms used in Affinity or any other similarly complex graphics app would be huge, far too large for a single help page. I am guessing you mean a table of contents or something similar, right? I don't know why users have to click on the menu symbol to display the hierarchical topics list on the left, but it is not that unusual -- help for Apple's Safari, Contacts, Mail, & several other apps default to opening with their topic lists hidden as well.

As for how slow an app's main help page opens, that seems to depend on several factors, including how recently the built-in help (for any app) was last accessed, how the files in the app's help bundle are structured (particularly for multi-language support), & how large the help bundle is. Affinity Designer's help bundle is unusually large, over 82 MB, & its structure is very complex. In comparison, Mail's help bundle is only 2 MB, yet at least on my system Mail's main help page is just as if not slower to open than Affinity's. Go figure.  :unsure:

But that aside, users should be able to find relevant help topics using the search box at the top of the main help page window, instead of having to browse through a long topic list. But in reality that often does not work as well as one might hope, not just for Affinity but also for quite a few other apps, particularly those that have a large number of help pages like AD does. Sometimes that is because it hard to know what word or phrase to search for, but in this instance it is because the AD U.S. English help topic localizations erroneously use the British "colour" spelling in many of the help pages. If you search on "Colour Panel" the help page will be the first search result, & in it you will find the section I mentioned titled "Colour selection preferences and colour models."  :wacko:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Amazing...thanks again.

Indeed; Help is uncharted territory and one suspects that AI will eventually get us out of these Dark Ages. I didn't mention before that I had also spent several dozen hours internet searching and watching Affinity videos.

I am writing a post now that will show my ignorance in getting a good TIF export. Hopefully it gets solved as quickly...20 or 30 minutes making a Forum post certainly is better than the dozens of hours looking for that solution too.