You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to prevent Photo from pixelating my image while dragging layers? I'm guessing it's a performance related feature, but I want to turn it off so that I can always keep a sharp eye on things at all times.

When I say pixelating, I mean that it degrades in quality while I am dragging. But, after I release the mouse, it renders at full quality again. Also, it only seems to happen in certain situations. Like, only certain zoom levels and sometimes only certain layers are affected.

I don't have AP, but I've encountered something similar in AD. A few days ago I was working w. a large grid of vector circles. The vectors took up 12 Mb of file space. Not certain about the number but I think it was around 1296 circles/sq". I was using them as a layer mask for a photo.  When I tried to move them around the canvas, there would be 1st a very blurred grid, followed by one better defined, followed by one that was accurate. Each level of redraw took more than a few seconds to do. If I zoomed in, it was a little quicker. It appear that the screen rendering starts at a square near the center of the view, and proceeds outwards. My recollection is that I was using a 1 px grid on an 8.5" x 11" canvas, and that performance did not approach usual speed until I was zoomed to about a 2" square. 

Conceivably, if you are zoomed in to where the screen is only showing layers within the view that are affected while dragging, the screen redraw might not try to update the whole image.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks for the suggestion but it's not the ideal solution I am looking for. At times, I need to see the whole image clearly while moving things, so zooming in isn't always an option.

I'm just looking for a way to prevent this behavior permanently. Like an option to turn it off and always render at full quality.

What blend modes are you using for your layers? If they are not all passthrough or normal, then everything that has to be blended will require re-rendering to accurately show onscreen. If you want that to occur for every tiny movement of a layer, your system will need a very great amount of processing power to do that without a noticeable lag.

What are the specs of your computer?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Whatever the default blend mode is. I didn't change anything in regards to the layer modes. I copied some pixels from a second document I had open and pasted into my main document.

Here are my computer specs...

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
  • 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
  • DELL U2515H (2560x1440@59Hz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (EVGA)
  • APPS: 596GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-08A7B2 (SATA)

In Edit > Preference > Performance

Try changing Retina Rendering to... High Quality (Slowest)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.