You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not all those who wander are lost

But some of us actually are. Speaking for myself, of course. I am so darn pleased with this program! Having read through nearly all of the posts here to try to familiarize myself with stuff, I realize that the intent is to target the professional niche. I am low end hobbyist and fall far outside your target but you might want to know that I find it incredibly more user friendly than AI (which I bought and had to give away. Just could not get it). My entire experience is bitmap and I suspect I will have to change my mindset considerably. 

Too late to make a long story short. My first attempt at making something I can use is attached. It is far from finished but have hit the first stumbling block. I want to fill in the space between the two curves. In bitmap territory this is easy. I tried to compromise by painting in a pixel layer but even that is not controllable ie. I can't select the area I want to fill because it is not a path or shape but the inverse of the path or shape if you know what I mean. I can't help but feel I am using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. Is there some way to make this area a shape so I can mess with it? I tried some geometry options but nothing seemed to work.first letter.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Nevermore,

What you have to do is called a boolean operation. You want to subtract the inner shape from the outer shape, to generate a new one composed by the area between the previous two. To do this select both shapes, and click on Subtract (the second button on the second section on the toolbar at the top counting from righ).

You may also want to center the stroke. To do it, with the object selected change to the Node Tool, click on the width button on the context toolbar and change the Align to Align Stroke to Center.

You can now fill the object with the color you want, clicking on the Fill button on the context toolbar and choosing a color.