In photoshop when I had the move tool activated by default i had it set to select layer. In Affinity I cannot seem to find this setting. When clicking on a design it always selects the top level group, but I would much rather have it select the layer I've clicked. 

Is this possible?

There's no option to toggle "auto-select" for the move tool. It's been requested before and could be a feature that's added in the future. There's an Edit all Layers option in the Layers Panel that when disabled should allow you to only work on the layer that's selected in the Layers Panel.

Does this mean when you select an object, the slected object jumps to the slected layer inside the layer panel? Because every time when I select a object, I have to search for the object inside the layer panel....  :(

Hi createsean,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Although not a solution this may help for now: If you press ⌘ (cmd) (CTRL if you are using Windows) and click an object on canvas it should "force" select it no matter its position on the Layers hierarchy.

@ZombieRofl,

Go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface section and check Show Selection in Layers Panel to have the object highlighted/visible all the time in the Layers panel when you select it on canvas.

Another reason for implementing the ability to turn off "auto select" is that it allows you to move an object while your mouse cursor is not on top of it.  Sometimes the mouse cursor is distracting when you're trying to place an object.

Hi, I just wanted to add my voice towards option to disable the auto selection. As a long time user of Photoshop, the current behaviour drives me to randomly selecting layers that I am not interested in, moving them around when I was not intending to, and aligning objects which I was not expecting to align.

This feature needs to be addressed. I work in a office and Im getting in trouble from muttering obscenities when the blasted thing keeps flipping between layers when all I want to do is just rotate the layer I'm working on. 

44 minutes ago, Borus.fcyea said:

Thanks for the welcome. But eeh, haha... you moderated my artist name? 

Yea, If you feel the need you could put it in a forum signature (that I think becomes available when you have made a few more valid posts). Signatures can be hidden by any forum user who would prefer not to see them...

Would you accept Borus.ninja ? (or just Borus)

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

37 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yea, If you feel the need you could put it in a forum signature (that I think becomes available when you have made a few more valid posts). Signatures can be hidden by any forum user who would prefer not to see them...

Would you accept Borus.ninja ? (or just Borus)

I would accept Borus.fukyea 

If this topic is way back from April 2017, why doesn't something as auto-select checkbox exists after almost 2 and a half years?

10 hours ago, Histmy said:

If this topic is way back from April 2017, why doesn't something as auto-select checkbox exists after almost 2 and a half years?

It does exist. Look in preferences > User Interface for "Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers list" to enable or disable this feature.

Affinity Photo 1.7.3, Affinity Designer 1.7.3, Affinity Publisher 1.7.3; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.155 & Affinity Designer 1.7.3.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 13.1.2

19 hours ago, R C-R said:

It does exist. Look in preferences > User Interface for "Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers list" to enable or disable this feature.

Maybe I am blind AF but I can't seem to find it.

Screenshot_1.png

10 minutes ago, Histmy said:

Maybe I am blind AF but I can't seem to find it.

Try "Show Selection in Layers Panel"

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.7.3.475 Beta

5 minutes ago, Histmy said:
10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Try "Show Selection in Layers Panel"

Can you please specify what it should do?

Put a check in the box next to the option "Show Selection in Layers Panel" in Preferences > User Interface (as in your screenshot) then close the preferences dialog. New selections made after that will auto-scroll the layers panel to display the highlighted selection

Patrick Connor
Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Latest releases on each platform 

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Put a check in the box next to the option "Show Selection in Layers Panel" in Preferences > User Interface (as in your screenshot) then close the preferences dialog. New selections made after that will auto-scroll the layers panel to display the highlighted selection

I don't see any difference between it being off and on. And I wanted to turn the "auto-select" feature off - if I select one layer on the right, I want to be able to click anywhere and move just the layer I selected. Is there a way to do that?

On 9/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Histmy said:

I don't see any difference between it being off and on. And I wanted to turn the "auto-select" feature off - if I select one layer on the right, I want to be able to click anywhere and move just the layer I selected. Is there a way to do that?

The difference is that once your layer list is larger then the Layers palette, then when you auto select, then the layer list auto scrolls to the activated/highlighted layer. 

But agree, not what you are asking for. Auto select is a UX thing that may help some users, but irritates others. Including me. For example when I paint and have separate layers for background / sketch / foreground / highlights etc., it is very easy to auto select wrong layer, especially background and paint inside it. And all the advantage of digital painting, a chance to have things separated, is lost. 

Disable auto select (or at least a proper full locking) is a must have feature.