You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

There's no option to toggle "auto-select" for the move tool. It's been requested before and could be a feature that's added in the future. There's an Edit all Layers option in the Layers Panel that when disabled should allow you to only work on the layer that's selected in the Layers Panel.

• Staff

Hi createsean,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Although not a solution this may help for now: If you press ⌘ (cmd) (CTRL if you are using Windows) and click an object on canvas it should "force" select it no matter its position on the Layers hierarchy.

@ZombieRofl,

Go to Affinity Preferences, User Interface section and check Show Selection in Layers Panel to have the object highlighted/visible all the time in the Layers panel when you select it on canvas.

• 9 months later...

Hi, I just wanted to add my voice towards option to disable the auto selection. As a long time user of Photoshop, the current behaviour drives me to randomly selecting layers that I am not interested in, moving them around when I was not intending to, and aligning objects which I was not expecting to align.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This feature needs to be addressed. I work in a office and Im getting in trouble from muttering obscenities when the blasted thing keeps flipping between layers when all I want to do is just rotate the layer I'm working on. 

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

@Borus.fcyea

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

(note I have moderated your username)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
44 minutes ago, Borus.fcyea said:

Thanks for the welcome. But eeh, haha... you moderated my artist name? 

Yea, If you feel the need you could put it in a forum signature (that I think becomes available when you have made a few more valid posts). Signatures can be hidden by any forum user who would prefer not to see them...

Would you accept Borus.ninja ? (or just Borus)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

37 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yea, If you feel the need you could put it in a forum signature (that I think becomes available when you have made a few more valid posts). Signatures can be hidden by any forum user who would prefer not to see them...

Would you accept Borus.ninja ? (or just Borus)

I would accept Borus.fukyea 

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, Histmy said:

If this topic is way back from April 2017, why doesn't something as auto-select checkbox exists after almost 2 and a half years?

It does exist. Look in preferences > User Interface for "Auto-scroll to show selection in Layers list" to enable or disable this feature.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

10 minutes ago, Histmy said:

Maybe I am blind AF but I can't seem to find it.

Try "Show Selection in Layers Panel"

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
5 minutes ago, Histmy said:
10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Try "Show Selection in Layers Panel"

Can you please specify what it should do?

Put a check in the box next to the option "Show Selection in Layers Panel" in Preferences > User Interface (as in your screenshot) then close the preferences dialog. New selections made after that will auto-scroll the layers panel to display the highlighted selection

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Put a check in the box next to the option "Show Selection in Layers Panel" in Preferences > User Interface (as in your screenshot) then close the preferences dialog. New selections made after that will auto-scroll the layers panel to display the highlighted selection

I don't see any difference between it being off and on. And I wanted to turn the "auto-select" feature off - if I select one layer on the right, I want to be able to click anywhere and move just the layer I selected. Is there a way to do that?

On 9/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Histmy said:

I don't see any difference between it being off and on. And I wanted to turn the "auto-select" feature off - if I select one layer on the right, I want to be able to click anywhere and move just the layer I selected. Is there a way to do that?

The difference is that once your layer list is larger then the Layers palette, then when you auto select, then the layer list auto scrolls to the activated/highlighted layer. 

But agree, not what you are asking for. Auto select is a UX thing that may help some users, but irritates others. Including me. For example when I paint and have separate layers for background / sketch / foreground / highlights etc., it is very easy to auto select wrong layer, especially background and paint inside it. And all the advantage of digital painting, a chance to have things separated, is lost. 

Disable auto select (or at least a proper full locking) is a must have feature.