You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, FunStorm said:

+1 - my post in this thread celebrated 3 years a few days ago :(

Get in line pal, we don't like queue jumpers around here

My very first post to this forum in November 2016 is still waiting to have that bug fixed 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:05 AM, gbldavid said:

+1 Please add abbility to disable auto-selection function.

Just seeing how many people who signed up for the Forum, alone to respond to this, should be a good indicator that it would be a valuable improvement to the software! 💻💛

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

12+ years using photoshop and saw a great deal of videos on how ell affinity photo is. Saw they had a sale and bought all 3 and decided to try it out. Within minutes I started to look for a way to disable auto select which led me here. After reading all 3 pages spanning several years and still no implementing this feature, I’m safe to say thank you for taking my money and would gladly play 3x as much to continue using adobe. Not hating, not an adobe fanboy, just stating here was practically a person right on the edge of switching to be free of adobe (and they have issues as well) and willing to invest and affinity failed to deliver. Such a simple request to allow us to turn auto select off… Yes I even took the time to sign up and make an account just to say this. That should tell you guys something that your community cares for this product and you should probably listen.

Edited by Ian.F
Wanted to add a couple more sentences.

4 hours ago, Ian.F said:

12+ years using photoshop and saw a great deal of videos on how ell affinity photo is. Saw they had a sale and bought all 3 and decided to try it out. Within minutes I started to look for a way to disable auto select which led me here. After reading all 3 pages spanning several years and still no implementing this feature, I’m safe to say thank you for taking my money and would gladly play 3x as much to continue using adobe. Not hating, not an adobe fanboy, just stating here was practically a person right on the edge of switching to be free of adobe (and they have issues as well) and willing to invest and affinity failed to deliver. Such a simple request to allow us to turn auto select off… Yes I even took the time to sign up and make an account just to say this. That should tell you guys something that your community cares for this product and you should probably listen.

I could not agree more! Thank you so much for taking your time to write this!

-maybe one day, there is a reason to switch from adobe, not because of the prices, but because of the features and implementations of community (basic) needs and ideas...

Hope that day will arrive soon! 

Because I really want to like or even love Affinity! 

Shocked to see this community request is still ignored.

Affinity, please add "disable auto-select". It's a simple checkbox to lock this annoying behavior, no big deal code-wise.

Some people (like me) work with many layers / objects and of course we select by layer name for many reasons like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Affinity, please take us seriously. 

I'm a designer and programmer, I'd say a pro user, 21 years experience with Photoshop and I made my switch to Affinity a few years ago. That is: I tried to. 

I still have to use my old Photoshop CS6 where Affinity Photo still does not deliver. 

Other examples:

- Advanced mask editing (curves etc.)

- Custom dithering (exporting png/gif files is still very limited and dithering cannot be disabled or modified resulting in very large files)

- the export preview window (I guess that needs no explanation)

- Lock screen rotation! It's nice to be able to rotate it, but please add a lock for those of us whose workflow is disturbed by it.

I could go on, but I also still got some work to do.

Please Affinity, take some time to fix our ever repeated requests to get us pro users to fully embrace your otherwise great piece of software.
Contact me for further explanations (and possible solutions).

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, thojk said:

Please add "disable auto-select" to make it more comfortable. 

This is a questions forum. There is a forum where we can submit requests for Features, Features Requests and Suggestions. As you can see someone turned this thread into a feature request, and should have posted in the correct forum.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchased Affinity a couple years ago, excited and impressed with the possibilities of it. I have not used it to the extent I have been only the past 6 months. The jumping to other layers as others have posted in this topic, has been excruciating. It is extremely stressful after you think you are drawing on one layer, and somehow the below layer is selected, you are unaware and spend a long time to find out you were drawing on the WRONG layer. SERIOUSLY, why is this an issue? I see I am not the only one that is frustrated. I don't understand the suggestions above. To me, locking a layer, means, CANNOT edit, but this is not the case. The other thing is, if you turn a layer off, you should not be able to edit it, but that is not the case. Here, I am thinking that I am working on the layer that I want to be working to be working on an UNSEEN turned off layer. Makes no sense.

• 1 month later...

I want to be able to select layers in Affinity Photo like I do it in Photoshop and Clipstudio:

Left clicking in the canvas does nothing. Ctrl+Clicking a layer selects layer, Shift+Ctrl clicking another layer adds another layer to the selection. Also I don't want all those layers and things highlighted on mouseover like in Affinity Photo with default settings.

Am I understanding this thread correctly that there is no way of changing the settings to be like that?

On 11/30/2021 at 4:26 AM, r47926 said:

Am I understanding this thread correctly that there is no way of changing the settings to be like that?

Yes.  All three of the Affinity apps are in essence variations of the same vector illustration program with the same underlying engine, but with different tools and parts of the interface exposed to the user, such as Affinity Photo offering a set of tools primarily organized around working with raster data and Affinity Publisher offering multi-page documents with master pages along with mail merge.

As a result, selection works like it does in a vector illustration app (Illustrator/Inkscape/CorelDraw) rather than the way they work in a more traditional photo editor (such as Photoshop).

• 3 months later...

I've been working with PS and AI for years now. But since the subscription model isn't my cup of tea I decided to try something new. Affinity Designer it is. I opened one of my PSD files today to work in it, well works like a charm. But in a file with 30/40 layers and several groups the 'auto selection' function is killing me! Why the hack does it auto select, tried everything in the program and now it brought me here. 

Im still in my free trial, but this looks like a key functionality missing here.

I guess I won't be contributing much in the future, but for me this might the one to pass because of this. Easy designs will do the trick while blocking some layers, but since PS has this option always in sight, this isn't just an 'hide-it-away' functionality for lots of users. 

• 6 months later...

I don't know what's more annoying; the lack of a toggle for this layer selection nightmare or the fact that there's a thread for this going back to 2016 and it appears to be blatantly ignored by the Affinity Team. Please. For the love of Christ give us an option to toggle automatic layer selection. It slows me down so much doing concept art/digital painting that I'm forced to stick with Photoshop. I'll buy the licenses three more times if you would just add the toggle!

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @KaitosArt,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Please check the Auto-select options available to set the desired Auto-select behaviour in Affinity Photo (Move Tool, Auto Select dropdown in the context toolbar). You can find a description of all the options and how they work here (on the beginning of the Settings section, on top).

• 1 month later...

Hi there @MEB
Thanks for the reply!
But actually, I was looking for an option to draw in Affinity Design with the tool PEN TOOL and make it not select the line I've draw with the Node Tool.
I just want to feel like I'm drawing with a pen, without the program to auto select the line I've just made. Because this breaks the work flow so hard and make it a problem to understand how the line I've drew looks like.