You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi hokic,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Regarding the full lock feature: when a layer is locked you cannot select it from the canvas (only from the Layers panel which we consider a deliberate action) thus preventing it from being painted/modified. The only exception to this is the background layer (on the bottom of the layers stack) which we deliberately made selectable even when locked (for technical reasons). To prevent it from being painted/changed accidentally place/create a new pixel layer below it in the Layers panel. This turns your background layer unselectable again on canvas.

Hey, MEB,

thank you for the trick you suggest, that may solve the unwanted auto select. And you are right, locking works for all other layers, my experience was not exact, after a few unintended painting on the background I have lost the trust into the locking, but background is really exception. I have checked. 

To be honest, I have to try to paint some more to get into the flow and get some experience to test how it works for me. At this moment I feel that ability to paint on locked layer makes more sense once I can do it only when I select the layer manually. Yet I still feel that there is some space for mistakes with no full lock. Because I know I have made those even in Photoshop (I use CS3) where there is no auto select so I need to select layers manually from the layers window and yet time to time (maybe while being lazy naming them) I do select a wrong one, so full lock helps me protects those finished = eliminate space for my mistakes. 

But your information definitely helps to understand that the space for mistakes in Photo is much smaller then I have thought. Thank you.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree. The ability to disable auto-select is a dealbreaker for me. I've used Photoshop daily for 25 years and I've never had autoselect on.

I have gotten used to how Illustrator auto-select works, constantly locking and unlocking elements in order to work on them. In Photoshop, my workflow is to work on a specific layer unless / until I choose another layer to work on.

Otherwise, I'm amazed by Affinity Photo so far!

Hey Affinity let me put it like this:

Your only path forward here is to listen to your users and turn them into evangelists who will convince their coworkers and colleagues to switch from Photoshop. Take a look at when this thread was created and ask yourself if you think you're doing a good job on this front?

Adobe is driving long time users away because they're making irresponsible UX changes that are ruining workflows that we've used forever. The most recent version actually ruined the workflow that this thread is asking you to support. It creates a weird delay after you press Ctrl which slows things down. If you want to capture this large, increasingly frustrated user-base from Photoshop. Now is the time.

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased Affinity the other day and I'm quite surprised this isn't a feature! I'd love to see it implemented in Photo and Designer. Maybe even have it as an option in Publisher as well, because there are many situations where partial opacity layers are massively interrupting my workflow.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm being driven crazy by the way the next curve/layer in the layers list is automatically selected when I delete a curve. It's a particular problem on the iPad app, where I often need to select and delete a large number of objects throughout my design (line overshoots after drawing with overlapping curves and running the Divide function). This is most efficiently done with the Add to Selection option activated, however when I select and delete a set of curves, another curve somewhere on the canvas gets automatically selected. With Add to Selection still active, when I select the next object(s) I intend to delete, the automatic selection remains included in my selection and gets inadvertently deleted with it. The auto-selected object is often beyond the boundaries of the current view so there's no clear visual cue that it's happened, and sometimes I don't notice the missing objects until much later in my workflow, when it's far too late to correct the mistake with the Undo command. To prevent this from happening I have to remember to 'deselect all' after every select > delete operation, which is very tedious and is easy to forget. Please give us the option to disable this Auto Selection function!!!   

• 2 weeks later...

I would add my voice with all the others from the last three years... Turning off Auto-Select is absolutely necessary and NEEDS to happen asap. Also on a somewhat related note, I don't want to see any bounding box or transform handles surrounding the selected layer. If I want to transform a layer, I should be able to hit a keyboard shortcut to make the bounding box and handles appear. (preferably Command + T because I haven't found any use for Show Character) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, landed here after many attempts to find how to not auto select the layer in affinity photo.

I am trying to avoid painting on the wrong layer and delete the wrong layer, just a prevention of me accidentally selecting other layer will save the day.

None of the "tricks" mentioned above actually solve the auto selecting layer 🤦‍♂️

Please don't suggest more "tricks", but actually let us disable it 😞

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to add my voice to request being able to disable auto-selecting layers; it's particularly frustrating with small objects within groups, as mis-clicking causes you to deselect the current layer, and trying to simply re-click to select what you were working on causes you to select the entire group you were working on instead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the love of god, PLEASE fix this issue!!!  It's incredibly counter intuitive, and I see absolutely no value in having this function in the first place.  Like many have already said, it constantly interferes with workflow and the issues it causes when working with many small layers is enough to make you shout obscenities at your screen.  I have been a long time user of serif programs but the constant frustration with this is a deal breaker!!

• 1 month later...

after 3 years the issue is still here, are you really listening to all these users? because you don't add this feature, I lost 50 percent of time when trying to clicking on exactly the item I want to move and lost it when clicking on other places. Apparently you as developers don't want to see the how complex of our works are. This is very frustrating! Stop living in your dream world and start to listen! 

• 4 weeks later...