You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel tool and alternate options

Hi,

Recently I've been playing with the pixel tool. I have seen that the pixel tool doesn't have antialiasing like the regular brush, and the stokes seems sharper.

But, when I select the Pixel Tool, at the end of the stroke options bar, I see an option named 'Alternate' with three possible values: Erase, Background color, Undo from snapshot. I didn't found info about such options. What are such options for ?

Regards,

Javier.

• Staff

The 'Alternate' dropdown allows you to specify which option will be used when dragging with the CTRL modifier held down. If you select 'Erase' and look at the hint line it will show "DRAG+Ctrl to erase". If you change the dropdown to 'Background colour' the hint line will show "DRAG+Ctrl to use background color".

I was surprised to not see this mentioned in the help - I will see if we can get this added.

Thanks, I've seen that. Really useful, why not add the Alternate options for the normal brush ?

You may not have noticed that the Studio Color panel is context aware & the large round color swatches represent different things depending on the tool selected. For the Paint Brush Tool, they represent a 'primary' & a 'secondary' color; for the Pixel tool & for some other functions, the 'secondary' color is the background color. By default, the X keyboard shortcut toggles the selected color between the two swatches.

So in effect, the X key functions for the Paint Brush tool much like Drag+CTRL does for the Pixel tool's alternate background color mode. Also, holding down the alt/option key & dragging changes the tool to a color picker, one that works anywhere on the screen, not just on the canvas, giving users a quick way to set either swatch to any color visible anywhere on the screen.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7