You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Suggestion: captioned/subtitles added to tutorial videos

Just a suggestion for the current and future deaf/hard of hearing users - please add captioned/subtitles to the tutorial videos for both Designer and Photo. If possible, please let me know when it's added so I can watch those videos to learn something fully (like fully accessed to information without any guesswork). Thanks!  :)

• Staff

ASLdesigner,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Thanks for the suggestion. Having been involved with hard of hearing and BSL users for over 25 years I do appreciate the reason for your request. I have already asked the documentation team to make the scripts available, and potentially add titling, but was told that scripts do not exist for most of them. We currently do not have subtitling facilities but plan to improve our video facilities. I will point this thread out to them.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

That is a good idea. If it not possible,

I have a partial solution: to point with an arrow the name of tool the narrator speaks.

For example, if the tutorial mentions how to move a layer to the top, by selecting it and drag it to where you want, then show the arrow and "select and drag layer" should come on the screen.

Thanks, Patrick and yes, please point it out to them. Perhaps having some kind of voice to text converter app or program that do the work for the developers while doing the videos. Or have the interns doing the transcripts and/or captioning/subtitling. That's what unpaid interns/volunteers do with the additional tasks no one else wanna do.  :)

Good idea, Yasir!

Thanks, Patrick and yes, please point it out to them. Perhaps having some kind of voice to text converter app or program that do the work for the developers while doing the videos. Or have the interns doing the transcripts and/or captioning/subtitling. That's what unpaid interns/volunteers do with the additional tasks no one else wanna do.  :)

Good idea, Yasir!

I'm pretty sure youtube does that automatically and since all videos are now supposed to be on youtube...that should work

just checked it out and it was like 100% accurate 

James just has the prototype kind of voice which googles speech recognition algorithms can just chew away like... :)

he can probably ask google for some money for training their AI in such a way, teaching the AI proper English  :D 

hope that helps

cheers 

I'm pretty sure youtube does that automatically and since all videos are now supposed to be on youtube...that should work

just checked it out and it was like 100% accurate 

James just has the prototype kind of voice which googles speech recognition algorithms can just chew away like... :)

he can probably ask google for some money for training their AI in such a way, teaching the AI proper English  :D 

hope that helps

cheers 

MBd - it's true re: youtube but unfortunately, even though it has improved a lot over the years since it first came out...it's not perfect and still make mistakes. If I'm learning something, I rather to have the accurate information such as this to design and don't wish to experience frustrations like not knowing what is it it erred on if the video doesn't use the arrow to point at the specific object.  :blink:  Ideally, if they provide transcripts, not only we can follow the videos, we can read them again for references.  ;)

It would be nice to have a transcript of the video and I have mentioned this to other video creators. I like the idea of the arrow to where the instructor is placing the mouse. In addition, a pause in speaking allowing the student to find the spot and then be able to follow further would be most helpful. Sometimes when instructors have done things so many times themselves, it is easy to either miss a step in the instructions or move along so quickly, the student is not able to follow.

• 1 year later...