You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboards, Bleeds, Margins

This is a complete edit, I am re-writing my request for help in the hopes a clearer explanation will get some feedback from the community.

Goal

To have a single project, with multiple artboards that are all the same size, and that each one shows me where my bleeds are so I can design within printable boundaries.

Questions

1. Is there a way to resize all artboards in one shot?

2. Is there a way to change the margins and/or bleeds, across all artboards, in one shot?

3. Is there are a way to set or change guides, across all artboards, in one shot?

4. Is it better to use margins or guides to visually show where the bleeds are?

Thankful for any help, I'm really stuck.

• Staff

Hi Koda,

Welcome to the forums.

There's no easy way to resize all of them in one go, you can follow the advice given by RC-R on this post. Margins and guides are specific to each artboard, so unless you set them up manually the other way involves setting the guides etc up on one artboard and then copying it.

Features like these may be added to Affinity Publisher as they are more suited to a desktop publishing app.

Ah ok, I was hoping I could do everything in Designer, I'm slowly starting to feel comfortable in this software, and to learn something else is easier said than done, I'm pretty new to this world and Designer is the first program of all the ones I tried that is intuitive and gives me hope that I can actually design some stuff. I thought it was great that I could design something then output it for publication, all in one app, finally.

Anyway, thanks for clearing this up. I will do it manually one artboard at a time, to me it's worth the extra time if it means I can continue working with just one application.

Can you take an extra minute to answer #4 above? I want to make the right decision before I edit all of the artboards.

@Koda, "Can you take an extra minute to answer #4 above? I want to make the right decision before I edit all of the artboards. Is it better to use margins or guides to visually show where the bleeds are?"

-=-=-=-=

An experienced user/moderator MEB recommended this is an earlier post:

Currently there's no bleed preview. This will be added in a future update/version. Meanwhile you can use a stroked rectangle (with document + bleed dimensions) to simulate the bleed preview.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/38261-new-user-some-questions/

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

• 2 years later...

I had some success in creating an asset out of an artboard. I set up the artboard up as I wanted, with margins, guides, grid etc. then created an asset out of this (make sure you have the artboard selected with the artboard tool). Set the view mode to "list" in the assets window, as the preview is invisible, but you can just drag it on the canvas and have an artboard exactly like the other one.