You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Although I use my Mac and Affinity Designer in standard English, I often work with Spanish text.
I’ve noticed that if I type a character that uses a Spanish accent, for example; é. in a font that dose not support them, Affinity Designer will automatically replace said letter with the equivalent from the ’Lucida Grande’ font. Even if other fonts might be a closer match in style to the original font.
Is there any way for the user to specify which replacement font Designer reaches for in these situations?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

... Affinity Designer will automatically replace said letter with the equivalent from the ’Lucida Grande’ font. Even if other fonts might be a closer match in style to the original font.

Is there any way for the user to specify which replacement font Designer reaches for in these situations?

I don't think there is any way for AD to know what any particular user might consider to be the closest style match or any way to specify that as a personal preference, but you can always highlight the character & use the Character panel to select a different font. Not the most elegant solution but it should work, if only on a character by character basis.

Also, not directly related but maybe useful if you don't know about it, in recent OS X versions you can choose among the various glyph variations for characters like e or n by holding down the key when you type it. That pops up a small menu showing all of them in a numbered list, so you can either tap the number key or click on one of them to use that variation. I don't seem to have any fonts installed on my Mac that don't include all the common accented characters, so I cannot say for sure what happens if you are using one that does not, but the popup menu trick works with both Affinity apps, so you may find this a more convenient way to enter those characters.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you MikeW & R-C-R for the reply’s, most appreciated.

R-C-R my thought was, given that I new which fonts I would be using, that I might be able to set in advance which font for Affinity to fall back on for the special characters. But I confess it didn’t occur to me that the auto substitution was happening at an OS level, rather than at an App level.
Thankfully the current job doesn’t have a huge amount of text so there are few enough Spanish characters, that I can change them on an individual basis as I have done before. It just would have been nice time saver if I could have had a say on the fallback font.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M