You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo, using all areas to identify boundarys

Hi,

I postetd this allready in the questions and feedback area, but it might be better here.

Further - I am german, so please don´t hit me for my bad english... :)

Architects (like me) often use Adobe Photoshop for coloring black lined drawings, floor-plans and elevations etc...

For this it is very helpfull to use all areas for the "bucket" tool or the "magic wand" to identify areas to be filled with color.

Then one layer is used for the colors, another for the boundary lines (as an imported line drawing, floor plan etc. as eps or pdf)

Currently Affinity Photo only uses objects on the working-layer to identify boundarys for Areas wich are to be filled with colour (e.g. with the bucket/fill areas tool).

Much better would be to have the outlines on another layer...

With this, to colorize black-lined drawings is very fast and easy and would be a big benefit!

Best regards,

Eike

post-55618-0-25763900-1490955148_thumb.jpg

Great idea … but here’s a little trick that seems to provide a workaround for the mean time:

• Use the Magic Wand (Flood Select Tool) to select all shapes you want to have filled with the same color.
  • Create a new pixel layer. Your selection should stay intact.
  • Select the new layer and use the Paint Bucket (Flood Fill Tool) on your selection.
  • After repeating these steps for the different colours, merge the newly created pixel layers containing the fills.

Okay, it is somewhat cumbersome, but at least you will be able to disentangle your drawing from the fills …  :)

Hi A_B_C,

thanks for the "trick". For sure it works, but, as you mentioned.... it takes time and - which is harder to handle with- if you have a complex drawing with lets say 150 Windows to be selected, and after 135 you make a mistake and double click, the whole selection is gone and you start again...

The other way would be much saver and easyer.

You can also select everything black as a color in the line drawing, invert the selection and jump to the other layer and then fill with bucket...

But also if you then wnant to change something you have to cancel your selection and start again. For easy drawings okay - but would not persuade to kick Adobe...

As the option of using all layer is existing for the selecting brush, it should not be a huge problem to implement it also to magic wand and paint bucket.

As I think, as a non expert in developing apps ;)