You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I don't believe Adobe are deprecating Classic CC, they have just added a new product, but created by confusion by messing with the names.

Re the subscription model, I think it is very good value, my problem with it is that if for any reason they change the terms, eg double the price, you have to cough up or lose the product.

On1's latest offering, currently in public beta, is getting very close as a developing option, but the browser is a long way short of Lr. As far as an alternative  DAM being a reincarnation of Lr, that is fine with me, I like Lr.

If On1 get the final ducks in place and have a real alternative to Lr in the same app as develop and effects, offering a seamless, non destructive workflow it will be a game changer. Affinity, Pixelmator etc will have to run to catch up.

1 hour ago, MBd said:

Deprecation of LR CC Classic?

I think you drunk the wrong cup of tea, mate, lol 

The money is in hosting customers data...  LR Classic CC will go the same way as LR perpetual licenses...  Once LR CC has feature parity with LR Classic CC, LR Classic will be as dead as making buggy whips...  IMHO...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

4 minutes ago, MBd said:

IYHO....

IMHO affinity should start putting real updates on desktop out there but who gives a dam? bo pun intended :226_penguin:

affinitys file format is totally proprietary btw as well, although your point was more about licensing and that is valid, sure 

"will be" and "is" are two very different things sometimes though as you can (or rather can't) see with affinity updates 

I think we are arguing on the same side... :)

I think the challenge with Serif is that the number of developers is quite small and they are very aggressive on the feature set that they would like to deliver.

They may have bitten off more than they can chew...

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) Mac OS 13 | 4.2 GHz Quad Core Intel-Core i7 | 64GB Ram | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB

Adobe Photography (Lightroom and Photoshop) | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2 | Capture One Pro (for now) | Topaz Labs Photography Suite | Fast Raw Viewer | NeoFinder

17 minutes ago, KC Honie said:

The money is in hosting customers data...  LR Classic CC will go the same way as LR perpetual licenses...  Once LR CC has feature parity with LR Classic CC, LR Classic will be as dead as buggy whips...  IMHO...

If Lr CC has feature parity with Lr Classic they will be the same product! As long as I can do what I need who cares what the product is called.

1 minute ago, pugwash said:

If Lr CC has feature parity with Lr Classic they will be the same product! As long as I can do what I need who cares what the product is called.

LR CC requires that you store your files on Adobe's cloud (a significant cost for large amounts of data)...

I for one will NEVER allow my IP to be stored anywhere but on media that I explicitly control...

I quite agree, I'll keep my images where I control them. Lr CC is designed to facilitate sharing of images taken with mobile devices, target = the selfie market. Classic is aimed at serious photographers, who have been Adobe's main market for years. They are trying to expand their market not alienate huge numbers of customers. I don't know what effect the subscription model had on customer number, but I do know a lot of users would not use it if there was a viable alternative.

37 minutes ago, MBd said:

1TB for 20 a month inclusive all software is not really that expensive, it's backup included cause adobe makes sure the data stays safe 

if you look at flickr and what other pictures are out there most IP vanishes honestly anyway and if the professional guys trust it and more importantly their clients do, you probably can as well

if adobe screwed up they really would have a BIG problem with their company so they really have an interest in protecting the customer data

of course at this affinity sites everyone gathers and says it's all very bad but infact most people are just fine and want features which adobe has, and now expands

The problem arises when you need to 10 or 15+ TB of data...

36 minutes ago, pugwash said:

I quite agree, I'll keep my images where I control them. Lr CC is designed to facilitate sharing of images taken with mobile devices, target = the selfie market. Classic is aimed at serious photographers, who have been Adobe's main market for years. They are trying to expand their market not alienate huge numbers of customers. I don't know what effect the subscription model had on customer number, but I do know a lot of users would not use it if there was a viable alternative.

I completely agree that LR CC is indeed aimed at the "smartphone" photographer, but I suspect the data subscription model will be so lucrative that they try to shift everyone to that platform...

Because there has been such a lack of alternatives the subscription model has been very successful.  I suspect the 1st competitor that comes along that can import LR edits and has a stand alone poduct,  will be wildly successful.

Personally I've always organized photos by folder and using filename (which starts with date YYMNDD). On1 handles this beautifully. Being able to add tags and organise be these is great. I do this in Librarything with my books and Pepperplate with my recipes.

Ideal would be a combination of these. Access folder structure and allow filename and tag searching.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.

3 hours ago, pugwash said:

I don't believe Adobe are deprecating Classic CC, they have just added a new product, but created by confusion by messing with the names.

Re the subscription model, I think it is very good value, my problem with it is that if for any reason they change the terms, eg double the price, you have to cough up or lose the product.

It seems to me that what Adobe is deprecating is the non-subscription model, & given the company's history I certainly would not rule out changes in the terms that result in higher costs for users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

12 hours ago, PhilipPeake said:

I read today that Lightroom Classic (perpetual license, not cloud based) will receive no updates after the end of 2017.

That is definitely not true. Lightroom Classic CC will be developed alongside Lightroom CC. Seems you are talking about Lightroom 6. This will be supported until end of 2017 by adding new cameras.

10 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

That is definitely not true. Lightroom Classic CC will be developed alongside Lightroom CC.

I think @PhilipPeake was talking about there being no further development of a perpetually licensed version of Lightroom -- IOW, Lightroom 6 is the last version users can buy outright, without requiring a Creative Cloud subscription to receive updates. From Adobe's Photoshop Blog (emphasis added):

Lightroom 6

Lightroom 6 is the last standalone version of Lightroom that can be purchased outside of a Creative Cloud membership.  There will not be a Lightroom 7 perpetual offering.   Lightroom 6 will remain for sale for an undetermined amount of time, but will no longer be updated with camera support or bug fixes after the end of 2017.  Lightroom 6.13 with support for the Nikon D850 will be released on October 26, 2017.

So it seems fairly obvious that while Adobe is trying to spin this as nothing more than "rebranding" the original Lightroom app, it is doing much more than that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

16 hours ago, KC Honie said:

LR Classic CC will go the same way as LR perpetual licenses...  Once LR CC has feature parity with LR Classic CC, LR Classic will be as dead as making buggy whips...  IMHO...

I think this is a very reasonable assumption given Adobe's history.

30 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

Probably he thought so. But, nevertheless, his statement was wrong.

That is a matter of opinion/interpretation. His statement included the parenthetical qualifier, "(perpetual license, not cloud based)," which made it clear at least to me that he was referring specifically to the non-subscription version of the local storage/folder oriented app, whatever Adobe choses to call it. Calling it "Classic" is just a smokescreen -- it is the "CC" part that people should be paying attention to.

Affinity Photo 

Hello! Why are you all guessing and interpreting?

I stated nothing, but this:

The statement "I read today that Lightroom Classic (perpetual license, not cloud based) will receive no updates after the end of 2017.“ is wrong. And it is. No way out.

And I added: „You are talking about Lightroom 6.“ Can’t see, why to turn sumersaults about this …

30 minutes ago, mac_heibu said:

And I added: „You are talking about Lightroom 6.“ Can’t see, why to turn sumersaults about this …

Simply put, it is because Adobe is making all future Lightroom updates dependent on a CC subscription, which means users who have already paid for LR 6 will have no choice other than to buy into one of the subscription plans & start using the Classic CC version if they want to keep LR up-to-date, including the much needed performance improvements that Adobe says it is working on, any bug fixes, or broader camera support.

It is also because it has been widely reported all over the web that despite the new 'rebranded' name & a few added features, "Lightroom Classic" is the same "Lightroom" app people have been using for a decade. That is why careful interpretation of Adobe's marketing hype is important -- like the old saying goes, if it walks like a duck & quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck.

Affinity Photo 

2 hours ago, Goughy said:

Damn!!!