You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Newbie having issues with font color

Hi,

I am new to Affinity Photo and amn having problems establishing a consistent work flow with assigning/changing font colors.

The issue I'm having now is that outlines are appearing around letters even though outlined is NOT selected in fx. I can't get rid of them, have looked in the manual an done a search, but no joy.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and how to stop it? 

Also, in the color picker, I don't get what the red line through a color means. 

Thanks!

Red line equals no color.

Look at the symbol/proxy for the line on the color tab when you have the text selected. It should use that circle with the line through it. As well, you can set the line weight to zero when the text is selected on the line tab or the context menu that appears when an object is selected.

Hate to admit it, but after the first line, no idea what you are talking about. 

What do you mean "symbol/proxy for the line on the color tab"? Also, I don't see any place to set the line weight.  Also don't know what the "line tab" is.  

I am on a Mac. The text is in a text frame.  

An object can have an outline applied either via the FX, or via the outline (Stroke) properties shown in the swatches and context menu.

If you look at the following screen shot, there is an outline applied to some text. The Stroke in the screen shot is red and has a weight of 6.125 pt. With the text selected, those properties are specifically shown in the property bar.

The color itself is also shown in the Swatches tab (like here) and the Color tab (not displayed). The Stroke tab (also not displayed) would show just the stroke weight and other line/stroke properties.

post-255-0-19072000-1490903034_thumb.png

You can set the Stroke weight to 0 (zero) like shown in the following screen shot and there will be no stroke on the object (text in your case) but it will retain a color property and the color would appear if the Stroke weight is above zero.

post-255-0-52072300-1490903150_thumb.png

If you look at the following screen shot, here I have used the proxy--the symbol for the stroke on the Swatches tab (and Color tab)--to remove the stroke. The proxies are a solid circle for Fill. a "hollow" circle for a Stroke.

post-255-0-97219500-1490903269_thumb.png

By selecting the proxy for the Stroke (the hollow circle) and then clicking on the smaller proxy of the solid circle with a line through it, I can also remove strokes on objects. And if I did so with the hollow circle selected (the Stroke proxy), then it would also show as a hollow circle with a red line through it.

Mike

Should it still not be obvious what the diagonal red line on a white background means, think of it like the international "no" symbol seen on road & other signage. In effect it means "no color." In addition to the color & swatches panels it also appears in some of the export dialogs to set the matte (background) color to transparent for the formats that support transparency.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Mike, 

Thanks so so much! It turned out that the reason I couldn't see the stroke tool is because my screen is not wide enough. I wasn't seeing anything after "character." Duh.  Really appreciate the detailed help!