You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Learn how to make your own Smoke brush Today! (Video Training)

Batman.jpg

Good morning everyone!  It is Tuesday and I have another video tutorial for you!  Since so many of you asked for it I decided I needed to show you how to do it yourself. Today, I will be sharing with you my technique for creating your very own smoke brush.  Also I have a big announcement that I am super excited about. Make sure you watch the video all the way until the end! I have thought about doing this for along time and I hope these videos help!

I would love to see how you use the information I give you in your own work! Please post your work in this thread so I can see how my videos have helped you!

Thank you all for your really inspiring comments, works and Ideas!  Those of you who have taken the time to reached out to me I like to say thankyou, I really appreciate your kind words and support it proves to me that it worth it!

Click here  to view the course 

Smoke brush 3 demo.afbrushes.zip

Cheers Ronnie, nice tut and great to see you offering courses for Designer. Like the Batman logo too.

I'll have to explore some more of the textured side of things in a piece soon. I'm usually the smooth gradient sort myself.  ;)

Cheers Ronnie, nice tut and great to see you offering courses for Designer. Like the Batman logo too.

I'll have to explore some more of the textured side of things in a piece soon. I'm usually the smooth gradient sort myself.  ;)

Thanks Retro! Yah I love to see what you do with textures in your work!

Thank you so much! This post explains some of the difficulties I had making a brush in Affinity earlier. I'll have to try it out and see what I can manage. (I've got to say that pixel based drawing doesn't make too much sense in a vector program, but it IS nice that it is there. Maybe someday we'll be able make/import our own vector brushes, too.) *Fingers crossed*.

I'm loving this program though. It is so powerful.

Ronnie, great to see you using the Refine Selection option and explaining it so well - you certainly have massive knowledge of the program! :D

Thanks Matt! I had some experience with similar functionality and was happy to see it in AD! it is super powerful tool people may be missing out on and I felt it definitely needed to be highlighted for people who missed it

Thank you so much! This post explains some of the difficulties I had making a brush in Affinity earlier. I'll have to try it out and see what I can manage. (I've got to say that pixel based drawing doesn't make too much sense in a vector program, but it IS nice that it is there. Maybe someday we'll be able make/import our own vector brushes, too.) *Fingers crossed*.

I'm loving this program though. It is so powerful.

You are welcome! There another type of brush you can make that has some similarities and functions of what you get from a vector brush. You have to stay tuned to my channel to get an explanation so make sure you subscribe :) As for your comment on  Pixels in a vector application you have to see how some artist work and how they jump back and forth between two applications to achieve a particular or a unique style. AD is a Hybrid of both worlds in my opinion. getting the best of both worlds for under 100 bucks is just insane to me! 

I am not sure exactly what type of work you do or art you create, but depending on what type of art or design you are creating you will know when to use vector and when to use pixels and when to use both. This important to decide at the beginning of a project because the final output or export will decide how you should approach your project.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, I'm very new to Affinity Designer and I hope to learn as much as I can. Here's my question. RonnieMcbride, in your video on how to make smoke brushes, you selected the layer and then selected the "Select Sampled Colour". I'm not seeing that option in my menu. 

Hello everyone, I'm very new to Affinity Designer and I hope to learn as much as I can. Here's my question. RonnieMcbride, in your video on how to make smoke brushes, you selected the layer and then selected the "Select Sampled Colour". I'm not seeing that option in my menu. 

Hello ,David. I think the reason why you are not seeing this option is because you might be in the Draw persona. You need to be in the pixel Persona.

Hope that helps :)