You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

MacOS users have luck, since 01. March the program RightFontApp works with Affinity Photo/Designer.

https://www.facebook.com/RightFontApp/

Sadly I haven´t found such a convenient solution yet for Windows users.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

Hi MEB and myclay. I'm on a Mac. Auto font activation really is a must, maybe not so much in Designer and Photo but surely in the upcoming Publisher? Frustrating as I really want to move away from Adobe and Quark but this is a big sticking point. Maybe I need to harass all the font management bods individually until one comes up with the goods?!

And on Windows, FontExpert and Affinity work just fine with auto activation as well.

Andrew
-
Win10 x64 AMD Threadripper 1950x, 64GB, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD + 2TB, dual GTX 1080ti
Dual Monitor Dell Ultra HD 4k P2715Q 27-Inch

Just in case somebody was looking for Windows font management software - outstanding, free, auto-activating fonts, working with Affinity:

nexus font manager from http://www.xiles.net/

cant imagine working without it.

nezumi, thanks for this ref. Would you mind explaining how nexusfont works...

1. You can set some fonts as defaults (always active) and the other fonts get activated as you want them?

2. In Affinity (AD and AP) when you select a font, nexusfont controls the Affinity droplist indicating which are active and which it can install for the moment?

3. Once installed on a Win system, nexusfont is automatically involved in all Win applications such as Word, Excel, etc?

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

No problem jer. I can tell you how I am using it. For more info you can always check help by visiting:

http://help.xiles.net/nexusfont/index_en.html

Nexusfont will automatically make system believe that fonts displayed in nexus are installed, but without actually installing them. You can install some fonts from the nexus UI if you want them to stay available after you turn off nexus. Otherwise when you turn off nexus system will stop seeing fonts. This is very cool way to keep your system light and not bloated by installing hundreds of fonts. You can keep them in any folder (or folders) and just turn on Nexus before you start working to make them available.

So this is how I am using it - I organized my fonts in folders categorized by look of the font. Script fonts, thick fonts, thin fonts, futuristic, antique... Lot of folders with different font types. All of them I have in one folder called simply "organized fonts". Now, by pointing in Nexus to main folder I will make ALL the fonts from all the categories available in the system. If I point to specific category folder - only fonts from that folder will be available (plus installed ones - those are available always).

But nexusfont has another great option - you can create so called "collections". How it works? Lets say I need for my project fonts from different categories, but I dont want to make all the categories available - want to keep it organized, light, I dont want to browse through thousands of fonts to look for the one I need for a project. I can create collection named as specific job - for example "flyer 1" and add to this collection fonts from different categories/folders. Beauty of it? Nexus is not actually physically copying fonts, is not creating new folders on disk - all those collections are just inside of nexus and fonts are kept as you organized them. Then when you want to work on "flyer 1" job you just point to that collection and nexus will make fonts chosen just for that collection available in the system. You can create as many collections as you want.

So to answer your questions:

- all the fonts installed in the system are the ones that are always active. All the other fonts are active as long as Nexusfont is running.

- Nexusfont is not controlling Affinity - is controlling system itself. All the organizing, activating is done inside of nexusfont. Affinity will see fonts that Nexus wants it to see.

- yes, Nexus makes all the applications to see chosen fonts as long as it runs. Once closed you will only see fonts that are actually installed in the system.

Hope you can understand something from it. Its free, give it a go. If you like it you can always donate a few $ to creator. It was weird at the beginning but now I cant imagine how I would work without it.

Fontexplorer X does auto activation and deactivation for any application.

double the price of Affinity Designer though (just somehow skewed relations)

but I need something of this kind at some point as well so thanks for the hint 

I was looking at RightFontApp a while back when they also had a discount and introduced this sort of compatibility with AD but anyhow did not convince me at that time 

No problem jer. I can tell you how I am using it. For more info you can always check help by visiting:

http://help.xiles.net/nexusfont/index_en.html

Hope you can understand something from it. Its free, give it a go. If you like it you can always donate a few $ to creator. It was weird at the beginning but now I cant imagine how I would work without it.

nezumi, sooo helpful! I understand and thanks for writing that out so completely. nexusfont certainly looks worthwhile.

♥  WIN 10 AD & AP  ♥  Lenovo Legion Y520 15.6" Laptop

Hi myclay,

True, but it doesn't support automatic font activation in Affinity apps (unless i'm missing something).

RightFont page says: RightFont 3.3.0 released! 1. Added Affinity Designer/Photo support.

What else could this support mean than autoactivation? Normal font activation works for any app regardless if it "supports" or not. It is a system service.

RightFont looks mostly nice as I tested it, interface has some rough spots. Seems it copies fonts to its own vault when imported (which is unnecessary, maybe even bad) and has trouble importing many older fonts (even if they are legit OTF). Seems I stay with FontBook for now, limited as it is. Generally at the moment there is no need for me to juggle thousands of font (though there is a folder in my HD containing those), a hundred is enough and can be controlled with FontBook sets.

I can create collection named as specific job - for example "flyer 1" and add to this collection fonts from different categories/folders. Beauty of it? Nexus is not actually physically copying fonts, is not creating new folders on disk - all those collections are just inside of nexus and fonts are kept as you organized them. Then when you want to work on "flyer 1" job you just point to that collection and nexus will make fonts chosen just for that collection available in the system.

What you've described is "loading" (or temporary installation) of a collection of fonts, allowing those fonts to be used subsequently in any application. That is quite different from auto-activation, which I understand to mean that your font manager hooks into an application so that it can automatically load the required fonts for any document that the user opens.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

What you've described is "loading" (or temporary installation) of a collection of fonts, allowing those fonts to be used subsequently in any application. That is quite different from auto-activation, which I understand to mean that your font manager hooks into an application so that it can automatically load the required fonts for any document that the user opens.

Sure, it might be technically different. Practically I click on a collection related to project and I got needed fonts. Plus - when I want to create new project using exactly same fonts then in previous one - I just do the same - click on collection. Done. I never used software with auto-activation as you described it so sorry if it was confusing to somebody.