You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Affinity Photo and all the users!

I love to make big panoramas. The function ”New panorama” works like magic :-) However, when I uses RAW files I wish Affinity could create a big panorama in the RAW format. Instead, in the process then it create a panorama its also apply a tone curve to the new panorama. Its like having an jpg images in front of me. I can´t recover any details in the hi lights and shadows for exempel. That is not professional! 

I have tried to use ”assistant option” : change tone curve ”take no action” and exposure ”take no action”. And when tried to make a panorama. But that does not work. I don’t get a panorama in raw…

Is it possible to create a panorama in RAW? 

How?

If not. I really wish that it will improve for the future Affinty photo 1.6!

Best regards from Peter in Sweden.

(Thanks for all the video tutorials. They have been very helpful. But not for this specific problem.)

• Staff

Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forums.

After a RAW file has been developed/processed it's not really a RAW file anymore, the same applies to when saving/exporting. You can't usually save or export to a RAW format, some apps do allow you to save/export to DNG which is a RAW format but Affinity Photo doesn't have this feature.

It may be better for you to change your workflow, process your RAW files first. Make the adjustments to highlights and shadows and export them as 16Bit Tiff files ,then use these files to create your panorama.

Hi Lee D and thank you for your advice!

I have tried that workflow already. I developed raw images very carefully and exported them to jpg. Affinity photo stitched the images together in a good way. I was at first very pleased but then I realized that it have some ”auto level adjustment” as default in the process. My panorama was overexposed (the hi lights was blown out) and I become disappointed. Another person in this forum had the same issue (overexposed panorama)

Is it possible to turn off this kind of ”auto level adjustment” in panorama?

Some people may like this ”auto level” but most professionals don´t. They prefer consistency in the workflow instead. 

I vill try to export my images to Tiff format instead and hopefully I vill get a better result.

Hello again!

Now I have experiment a lot with different file formats to achieve the best panorama. I exported raw files to 16 bit tiff as you suggest (135 Mb/image!!). Although I deliberately underexposed the raw files (no clipping highlights areas) the panorama had blown out highlights areas. From a technical point of view I was very disappointed.

But from an artistic point of view I was quite satisfied. The blown out areas was very small and I vill make a big print of this panorama.  

Then I added the same raw files (not developed) the panorama hade even more blown out areas :-(  My first panorama with jpg images (developed from raw) was better than raw. That was strange!

I complained about clipped highlights on my first panorama from jpg (developed from raw). I was wrong. When I now used ”develop persona” and show clipped highlights I hade no clipped areas. My apologies… It vill take a few more days before I master this program ;-) But the overall image was overexposed.    

Hello, the comments so far don't indicate whether AP can assemble a panorama from RAW files only whether it can export as RAW. I also prefer RAW as basic material (but do note that your tutorials also state that it is the equivalent of a photographic negative in that it needs o be developed to be usable) and use panoramas extensively in video composing. But I have experienced no clipping from JPEG images assembled as panoramas, only some rather weird side effects (see post re artefacts)

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi Peter, hi all,

I believe I have just done with AP what you intended to do - create a panorama of RAW files and not have it automatically tone mapped to 8 or 16 bit, so you retain the full dynamic range. Here is the thread:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/39898-hdr-imagespanoramas-from-single-raw-files/

In short, process the RAW files to 32 bit EXR first, then stitch these and finally (optionally) apply the tone mapping to taste.

Matthias.

So far I have had only one failure with panorama stitching in AP 1.5+. That is reported elsewhere. The results direct from the process are as good as one can possibly expect, especially if saved to tiff. I use this extensively because for landscape history projects it is an ideal format, previously difficult to create even in PS. RAW format leaves enormous files that can't really be used doesn't it? Since the last beta this component is greatly improved.

Now I see what is meant. A new panorama has bleached out as experienced above. It is also possible the the comment made by me under Panorama Artefacts could be due to processing outside RAW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Affinity is a great product and still fairly new compared to Adobe's products. We can only hope (big hint) that the team at Affinity will make on their priority list to convert the panorama stitched images to DNG as Lightroom does. In most cases it is best to adjust the image (highlights/shadows) as good as possible in the develop persona, or in my case Capture One pro, first before doing the stitching. Then save it as TIFF. Again, on the road to making Affinity Photo the ultimate software, this will be a nice feature to add. Or Affinity just work on making a Lightroom competition software.