You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving Interface Layouts

Since the program obviously already saves the current configuration upon exiting and loads that configuration upon starting, all that's needed is code  to "save configuration as" and "load configuration".  Why is that so difficult? (✿◕‿◕✿)

(05mar2020) Ryzen 1800x, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 442.50 (01mar20), LG Ultra HD (2), Win 10 Pro x64 18363.657, Affinity Photo/Designer 1.8.1.604 beta & Publisher 1.8.2.603 beta

4 hours ago, jaftwo said:

Since the program obviously already saves the current configuration upon exiting and loads that configuration upon starting, all that's needed is code  to "save configuration as" and "load configuration".  Why is that so difficult? (✿◕‿◕✿)

Something a delay in implementation is not due to something being difficult, but merely to it having a low priority among all the other things that Serif is working on. Or, sometimes, it really is more difficult than we might realize, since we can't see the code :)

In this case, Serif have said that we should watch for an implementation of studio presets in the 1.9 beta. With luck that will satisfy this request.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

not due to something being difficult, but merely to it having a low priority (...) more difficult than we might realize, since we can't see the code

I understand this thought concerning priority and effort for bug solutions. ... But compared to the complexity of the new "New..." window an UI for saved panel sets appears...

815858442_mohreangel.jpg.89134b390c9dc93f76c0d06420c48139.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Fingers crossed. I recently lost my layers panel and had to reset my (meticulously created custom made.. ;0) layout.. About priority, I agree there are more important issues. Like Contiguous filling with all layers (and one that does not crash on big files) ...

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Something a delay in implementation is not due to something being difficult, but merely to it having a low priority among all the other things that Serif is working on. Or, sometimes, it really is more difficult than we might realize, since we can't see the code :)

In this case, Serif have said that we should watch for an implementation of studio presets in the 1.9 beta. With luck that will satisfy this request.

Yes, I understand that and realize my post was a bit "pushy".  This request is three pages long and was started in 2017.  I'll have a look at how the config is saved now and make a backup script to restore it for now.

(05mar2020) Ryzen 1800x, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 442.50 (01mar20), LG Ultra HD (2), Win 10 Pro x64 18363.657, Affinity Photo/Designer 1.8.1.604 beta & Publisher 1.8.2.603 beta

18 minutes ago, jaftwo said:

I'll have a look at how the config is saved now and make a backup script to restore it for now.

In case you are in Windows this might help:
 https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/93612-windows-spaceman-workspace-manager-for-affinty/

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

15 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Thanks, I'll give it a look.  However, if the developers of Photo change the format of the xml code, it may not work, so keeping a backup of WindowProfile.xml is the way go for now.

• 2 weeks later...

+1 To saving an interface layouts. Adding to that, sharing the layouts in round-tripping. If I set up my interface in Photo with a bunch of my palettes on my second monitor I would also like it if that information was a global pref that Publisher can read. It's annoying when I'm in Publisher and I click on the Photo button and all of my palettes that were arranged with care are no longer in place. I'm back to the default UI for Photo.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 4:00 PM, thomaso said:

I'd just like to confirm I've tried this Spaceman program on Windows (with Photo) and it runs fine, but there are a few points to it working:

1. You need to exit your current Affinity window to "save" your existing layout.
  2. Then run the spaceman.bat (don't run as admin, it doesn't need it)
  3. Save the backup as whatever you like, but it's best not to use spaces. For example, I named mine: affinity-photo-workspace-1
  4. Open Affinity again and if you want to test the backup works, go to Views > Studio > Reset Studio
  5. Run the spaceman.bat again and restore the backup you created

(NB. This doesn't work on MacOS)

Remember that in the same place (probably Downloads) you opened the spaceman.bat and created the backup, there will be a folder called "Workspaces". You need to make sure that is in the same location when you open spaceman.bat to restore the workspace backup (but spaceman.bat shouldn't be in the Workspaces folder)

To keep it simple, I created a folder in Program Files called Affinity Spaceman (like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Affinity Spaceman), see image:

spaceman-affinity.png

Edited by D_WW
Edit1: Added Quote to Spaceman link. Edit2: Made instructions clearer

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Snap said:

Is this a feature yet? It's mid 2020

Serif have hinted they've implemented something in 1.9, but we don't know for sure when the beta for that release will be available.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1