You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Saving Interface Layouts

unfortunately unplugging a monitor does reset positions of the panels quite severely... would be nice if they could be reset to optimal positions with optimal layout with a command. I kinda hate that panels accumulate to the center of the screen several times a day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Photoshop artist with 20 years of experience here. I'm really trying to like Affinity. But this is a deal breaker for me. Suggesting that this is a useless feature is truly remarkable.

I work on about 10 different types of projects.

Sometimes I'm painting with a nearly blank canvas. Other times I'm doing film poster work with a few dozen masks.  Other times I'm doing model photo retouching.  Some documents have 200 layers and dozens of effects. Others require as much screen real estate as possible. I have different UI setups for everything. 

Anyone who thinks this is a matter of "not resetting" from the last setup is frankly missing the point. This is about versatility.

If you want to create a work environment that matches the dozens of ways people make images, you need a workspace that reflects that.

This is a major limitation of Affinity. 

I move stuff between three computers (all are only in my use) and really would like to store and restore different UI setups and even send some via email to laptop or back.

The must is a very flexible GUI that user can adjust as anyway pleased. And best in that is so far the Blender 3D modeling software.

And I laugh to people who for years were "Oh, blender GUI is so terrible, and far from user friendly" only to just repeat some of the Maya or 3Ds Max users habits. While Blender was/is only one that allows to really make the best GUI for the project or for the user (as you can save the GUI with the project itself as well!). 

The same thing is with the Photoshop and GIMP etc. Where so many is hyping how great the Photoshop GUI is, while GIMP was far more userfiendly and more powerful for most parts that were possible to do with it. 

And again with AP, I find its GUI most parts better than Ps, but really would need more customization possibilities and way to save and store them quickly. 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Glyphs said:

Still no way to save Interface Layouts? I just updated Affinity Designer & Photo to versions 1.6, and both my custom interfaces are gone, replaced by the default ones. Saving Interface Layouts would help, at least in this instance.

Just had the same experience.  It's frustrating to have to set everything up *again*.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Over 20 years with psd, but new to Affinity. I'm here in the first hour, following a web search on "how do I save my workspace in Affinity Photo? The verdict is "you can't?" That's a big deal breaker. If using the thing is a pain, there's no way I'm going to open it regularly. I go back and forth between tasks, and go from one monitor to two desktop displays. Speed, and frankly, joy, come from knowing where everything is all of the time. I don't need a cyclone hitting my studio. And it would be nice to allow kids to learn on their own setup. From a quick search, this isn't even on your radar. Please. It's worse than frustrating. 

Edit:

I just went from my desktop display + laptop screen to just the laptop in Designer. My relative palette layout stayed about the same. When I plugged back into my desktop display, the palettes stayed fairly close but were now under the the app's header bar and the only palette I could move was the tool palette. Everything was frozen, had to force close the app and restart.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I totally agree that the option of being able to save customized workspaces is an absolute must have with Affinity Photo. When I discovered that you actually cannot do it, even after the update to version 1.6.7, I just couldn't believe it... Although I'd really like to switch away from Adobe it's not all bad what Photoshop (or Bridge) – and possibly other Adobe applications – have offered so far...

Speaking of this I also do miss the option of calling that big color wheel (HUD Color picker) right onto the screen with Control + Option + Cmd + Click (Mac) – this feature should be in Affinity Photo as soon as possible, as well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Gravel said:

Can anyone confirm if this is on the to-do list yet? Is it coming?

It is very time-consuming and annoying to re-set everything up every time there's an upgrade, etc.

Hi @Gravel,

welcome to the forum.

There is a thread that lists the current feature road map (a.k.a. to-do list). See here.

'Saving workspaces' is not part of it.

But I am not sure if 'saving workspaces' is considered a main feature of if it will come as a usability feature along with one of the main features.

In other words,

we'll have to wait and see ;)

Cheers,

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that it's disheartening to hear that saving a workspace isn't considered important. I find both Photo and Designer unusable without it, and I wonder who the intended audience is? Not folks who work as I do. The "persona" concept shows that there was a bit of thought given to the issue but possibly not much real world observation? It's sad- from what I can see the apps are phenomenal.

3 hours ago, davidstong said:

to hear that saving a workspace isn't considered important.

Hi @davidstong,

if you read through this section of the forum and perhaps in other sections, too, you will find many posts that consider this or that feature to be important or 'extremely important' or even essential (or a 'deal breaker').

We (the forum users) have to look at it in two different ways:
1) To me it seems very valueable that Affinity offers the opportunity to freely post feature suggestions. This is a great source of ideas to Serif.
2) There are so many expectations from so many users involved that it becomes part of the process that users come to think this is all disheartening and frustrating because non of the 'important' labelled features are not there yet.

With all those feature suggestions at hand Serif has to make tough and clear decisions about priorities. We should trust that the developer team knows best what has to be done next.

There are so many request but not so many people to fulfill them :)

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...