You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All,

I'm attempting to make a simple logo for my organization. If you'll take a look at the image file I've attached, you'll get a better idea of my dilemma. I'd like to have my drop shadow show up where the 'K' intersects (goes over the top of) the ellipse. I've made a number of stabs at this and so far I've not found the proper solution.

I made a copy of the logo and then attempted to use the intersect button to create a shape that is exactly the same as my intersection so I could just apply my shadow to the newly created shape, but that doesn't work since my ellipse shape is in fact just a stroke around a circle. Any ideas on how to easily accomplish this?

Thank you!

P.S. I'm not sure if I explained that very well, so please let me know if more explanation is needed.

post-37311-0-85812000-1490723705_thumb.png

I would create two circles, one smaller than the other, and subtract the smaller one from the larger one to look like the one you have now. Then do your copy of the K and make the piece you need for applying the drop shadow to.

Hi ahelton,

Draw the circle, the letter and copy the letter for later use.
Convert the circle and letter to curves and then vectorize the outlines.
Select the whole and do "Divide".
Select the parts crossing the circle, put them an external shadow.
Finally, paste the letter you copied to hide the shadow on the letter.

Edit:

If you want the reverse effect (the circle shading to the letter), proceed in the same way but instead of duplicating the letter, duplicate the circle.

post-37692-0-76103800-1490727903_thumb.png

post-37692-0-00302900-1490728995_thumb.png

.... but I was sure "stroked circle" was going to get all the attention.  :D

I suspect that most of us would rather eat a donut than stroke it! :lol:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I have the impression that the problem of the original poster has not yet been solved. I believe he or she wants to make the stem of the letter K disappear behind the ring, while making the ring disappear behind the leg of the letter at the same time. And that creates an issue. As soon as you apply a drop shadow to a “patch” intended to create the desired effect, you will always get a seam somewhere, won’t you? … hmm …  :unsure:

(I believe you cannot get this effect without using a dedicated shape for the drop shadow itself.)

I have the impression that the problem of the original poster has not yet been solved. I believe he or she wants to make the stem of the letter K disappear behind the ring, while making the ring disappear behind the leg of the letter at the same time. And that creates an issue. As soon as you apply a drop shadow to a “patch” intended to create the desired effect, you will always get a seam somewhere, won’t you? … hmm …  :unsure:

(I believe you cannot get this effect without using a dedicated shape for the drop shadow itself.)

Yes, this is what I wanted, but was having a hard time describing it. I've gotten close to what I want by fiddling around, but it has certainly been a challenge.

The good thing about the replies above; however, is that I now know about the donut option as well as using the subtract feature to make my "hollow circle."

Yeah, a more complicated recipe. But not too crazy.

post-12544-0-77233700-1490738372_thumb.png

@Alfred: My mom always told me "don't play with your food!" But, those donuts make me go nuts!!  :wub:

Here's mainly the leg on the K with a shadow.

attachicon.gifUntitled-2.png

I clipped the little piece into the circle, added the drop shadow.

Can you expand on what you mean by "clipping the little piece into the circle." I think I may have arrived at something similar, but just curious how you accomplished this as I'm not over good at Affinity Designer yet.

Drag the piece of the K "into" the circle. Really, when you are dragging something in the layers panel intended to be clipped into another object, you drag the piece to be clipped up to the clipping object (the circle in this case) and you will see a horizontal bar change in length and position from the left. When it is its shortest length let go of the mouse button.