You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[BUG - RAW development?] after batch processing RAW -> JPEG pictures are too dark (pictures don't look the same as the RAW(original))

meeexx

//edit: I've been told to move it to "bugs on mac"

Dear all,

when I batch process several RAW (*.CR2) files to jpeg all jpegs are way too dark. They don't look nearly like the original. When I use the develop persona for each single RAW file instead, the files look almost the same like the original (but also a little darker then the original). This applies only, when all assistants (except for lens correction) are activated prior to processing (View > Assistant Manager > Develop Assistant). If all of these assistants are deactivated, the pictures differ a lot from the originals and are also way too dark - compared to the RAW files (files look like after batch processing).

Do you have an idea, what could be the reason for this? I am shooting pictures only in RAW with my camera and need to batch process all RAWs to jpegs afterwards. For now, I can't do this with Affinity Photo, because each single jpeg is way too dark.

For my understanding:

The Affinity Photo RAW converter should not change the RAW file in any way, as long as I don't change anything while developing (just import -> export to jpeg). Am I right? This is not the case when using Affinity Photo for RAW development - at least for me. The pictures always differ from the RAW file (they already differ after importing. Exporting seems not to be the problem).

sometimes differ slightly: single processing in develop persona with assistants activated.

sometimes differ very much: batch processing or single processing and all assistants deactivated.

When using "Camera RAW" (just import -> export to jpeg) without any changes, after exporting the pictures look exactly the same like the originals (RAW). So the RAW files are not corrupt.

Affinity Photo: latest version available on app store

Camera: Canon EOS 70D (latest firmware)

Thank you very much in advance for any hints

meeexx

Hi meeex

The Affinity Photo RAW converter should not change the RAW file in any way, as long as I don't change anything while developing (just import -> export to jpeg).

This is not strictly true. Naturally RAW files are extremely dark and grey due to the data directly from the sensor. When opening in a viewer or app, a tone curve and gamma correction is applied to bring it up to a more expected level. The tone curve can be dreived from the camera data or applied by the engine used in the app, which differs from app to app but the difference is not necessarily wrong, just different.

Saying that there is something funky going off with the batch process. it does not seem to be using the same curve or correction as the develop persona which is resulting in these darker images. I'll get this logged with the developers as this does look like it can be improved somewhat

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i use arw in affinity photo

I have this problem too

it's very  serious

With jpeg  has adifferent colors

and then deformation

Color saturation error

The blue sky is   disappears  WTF????

arw   with Adobe Lightroom was no problem

and  Strange white side    WTF????????????

It's this  affinity photo   bug?   raw

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have the same issue, but I'm using a Surface 4 with Windows and not a mac.

When I'm exporting the image to a JPEG everything is fine, but when I'm running a batch job doing the same thing all my images gets really dark. I have tried a lot of different settings, but nothing seems to work. I have attached a file so you can see the differences between batch job and a normal export.

Affinity Photo: 1.5.2

Camera: Canon EOS 750D (latest firmware)

post-60202-0-91823300-1495908017_thumb.png

Hi all

Open Raw files using anything other than the Develop persona is usuang a very basic RAW pipeline so it is only adding a simple curve instead of the more sophisticated treament in the Develop persona. This is intended in the current version, however the team are working on changing this so it applies more of the develop style treatments when using other areas of the app

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• 9 months later...

Any Update to this?

Im still facing the same issue, having to just process 100 .CR2 to .jpg a full year later (Windows 10, latest Affinity)

- .jpg files are way darker than in develop persona default

- exif information is getting lost

-> No way to use affinity for a serious raw workflow. (I wont save raw and jpg just cause affinity cant batch convert properly..)

I would expect the batch process to just open the raw, apply the same magic as develop persona does per default when opening a raw, and just save the image as jpg.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2018 at 11:06 AM, derwissel said:

Any Update to this?

Im still facing the same issue, having to just process 100 .CR2 to .jpg a full year later (Windows 10, latest Affinity)

- .jpg files are way darker than in develop persona default

- exif information is getting lost

-> No way to use affinity for a serious raw workflow. (I wont save raw and jpg just cause affinity cant batch convert properly..)

I would expect the batch process to just open the raw, apply the same magic as develop persona does per default when opening a raw, and just save the image as jpg.

I just posted this exact question, I came across the same issues and I'm new, this is a bad deal if i can't process 500 photos in batch.....simply will not do

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2017 at 4:36 PM, Chris_K said:

Hi all

Open Raw files using anything other than the Develop persona is usuang a very basic RAW pipeline so it is only adding a simple curve instead of the more sophisticated treament in the Develop persona. This is intended in the current version, however the team are working on changing this so it applies more of the develop style treatments when using other areas of the app

Cheers

Is this still an issue? I was hoping to use Affinity Photo to batch connect Nikon NEF files to JPGs. Thank you.

• Staff

@affin-sm

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums 

Yes, this has not yet been resolved, sorry 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have tried opening several RAW files at once (first with 40 files, then 10..) and every time Affinity crashes. I can't even get to the develop phase! Anyone else have the same problem? It seems that if I want to modify my RAW files and convert them to JPEGs I must open one raw file at a time - meaning that delivering photos to my friend takes forever if the process is this slow and inefficient. I'm hoping that the issue will be fixed soon. I wouldn't want my licence to be wasted...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 4/6/2019 at 11:35 AM, stewartvp said:

is Affinity still in active development?

Absolutely, there is a very active beta for Mac and Windows 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 month later...

True, but unfortunately the same issue is still present in the newest 1.7.125 beta of Affinity Photo—developing without any active filter/adjustment results in perceivably correct shading compared to batch importing with saving as either JPG or PNG that produces notably darker shades (apparently, roughly the upper third of the histogram is never used). I am quite puzzled how such a serious drawback can survive in the program for such a long time..? APh seems to be the goto solution for RAW processing, but a critically flawed batch import is rendering the whole program much less (if at all) useful for professional work.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Darthvirc said:

Any way I can get a refund? 

If you purchased directly from Serif at serif.com within the past 14 days, email affinityreturns@serif.com and they can arrange that for you.

If you purchased from Apple or Microsoft you'll need to check their return/refund policies.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1