You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there

So there are a couple issues happening.  Hence the request on reinstalling Designer. 

Exporting to PDF using a preset, but tried alternatives, works rarely and randomly.  Image added.  The right side is the correct version. I have only be able to do this once.  All other attempts result in the version on the left.  Same presets only 450 was used in down-sampling.   Size doesn't matter preset doesn't matter.  Same looking lineart pdf.  The one time it worked was right after a reboot - yes I have done that many more times now.

Over the last couple days there have also been constant crashing.  Randomly - like when its in the background and I am not using it.  Or right after or trying to do a export. 

The only thing different on my machine was that I uploaded then tried to uninstall AI Trail version - just to try the idea of exporting the pdf I need to send to the printers. 

My machine spec's

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7,
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB

I did email this in to support (about the issue not about a reinstall here - thought I would also try here.

post-35525-0-77454500-1490644684_thumb.png

post-35525-0-95136500-1490644692_thumb.png

• Staff

Hi Renée

Welcome to the forums.

Some effects may not be able to be exported be PDF without rasterising. When exporting to PDF, try changing the Rasterise drop down to Unsupported properties or Everything and then try exporting. 

Hi Renée

Welcome to the forums.

Some effects may not be able to be exported be PDF without rasterising. When exporting to PDF, try changing the Rasterise drop down to Unsupported properties or Everything and then try exporting. 

Hi there

So now all attempts at exporting a pdf - using different images, different sizes trying 'unsupported / everything' has only crashed the program, everytime.  Suggestions?

Hi Renée,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you please upload the original .afdesign file using this link so we can take a look?

Don't forget to add your forums's username  (@Renée) to the file name.

Thanks.

Done thanks for your help! The other thing is the printer is saying (when I sent him a trial pdf of one I did get)

"The layout is correct. The pdf’s page size and geometry is fine. The image they are using is CMYK. They will have to go into photoshop and build spot colours, to make it into a duotone.  Can’t really help you here unless I see the photoshop image."  

The image I did send I very meticulously (I thought) put everything in two Pantone colours.... sigh.  Yes I did click 'honour spot colour'

Hi Renée,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Can you please upload the original .afdesign file using this link so we can take a look?

Don't forget to add your forums's username  (@Renée) to the file name.

Thanks.

Hi

just wondering if there has been any updates?

• Staff

Hi Renée,

I've been checking your file yesterday using the default presets (for print/pdf/x) but was also unable to get a working file. The program never crashed but was taking way to long to export or become irresponsive (i was also using other programs while exporting so i'm not sure it may have caused it). 

I've then changed the document dpi to 300, rasterised the whole group layer inside Affinity, and then exported to PDF (for print) which did export the file in a couple minutes (it was just a single pixel layer) but again it should also have worked with the PDF (flatten) preset (set to 300 dpi) which didn't happen either - was taking too long again -, so i've passed the file to the dev team to be looked at.

[EDIT] I've tried again today with the Windows version using the PDF (flatten) preset, leaving Affinity Photo alone exporting the file and it did end up exporting it after half an hour (more or less). Hopefully someone from the dev team will be able to give you more details.

Hi Renée,

I've been checking your file yesterday using the default presets (for print/pdf/x) but was also unable to get a working file. The program never crashed but was taking way to long to export or become irresponsive (i was also using other programs while exporting so i'm not sure it may have caused it). 

I've then changed the document dpi to 300, rasterised the whole group layer inside Affinity, and then exported to PDF (for print) which did export the file in a couple minutes (it was just a single pixel layer) but again it should also have worked with the PDF (flatten) preset (set to 300 dpi) which didn't happen either - was taking too long again -, so i've passed the file to the dev team to be looked at.

[EDIT] I've tried again today with the Windows version using the PDF (flatten) preset, leaving Affinity Photo alone exporting the file and it did end up exporting it after half an hour (more or less). Hopefully someone from the dev team will be able to give you more details.

Thank you for your efforts!

I hope they sort out what I need to do to get it to the printer. I just hate the idea of having to do a rebuild in AI - it would be months worth of work to redo from scratch all the images for this project.

I see though that others are having a number of pdf export issues - so I see I am not alone in this :) Thanks again.

Hi Renée,

Hi there

Ahh... anything as yet?