You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

@MrArtist

You said money/cost isn't the issue but quite obviously for you it is a big one. Just consider how much space you have devoted to pricing, discounts, your bargain hunting mind-set, etc. You are also perhaps overlooking that the licensing terms that permit installing the app on multiple Macs or Windows but not both only applies to personal, non-comercial use. So for professional users this is a moot point -- they still need to buy one license per computer, whether or not they are the same platform.

But aside from any of that, there still is the issue of there being no way for Serif/Affinity to know who has purchased the MAS versions. Whether you think that is crazy or not makes no difference. Selling through the MAS has been hugely successful for the company. In fact, it is unlikely there ever would have been Windows versions at all if not for the income generated from those sales. So what really would be crazy is for Serif/Affinity to abandon that revenue stream, particularly just so they could offer a token discount to non-professional, multi-platform users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@MrArtist

You said money/cost isn't the issue but quite obviously for you it is a big one

No, it isn't the issue, that's why I said it, and please stop putting words and thoughts into my mouth.

Money is obviously an issue but it's separate to the fact that I'd be paying twice to use the product on two computers, i.e. paying twice to go from A to B as per the car hire rental example whereas one-platform users can use it many times as they like for one fee.  

I'm merely trying to point out how to grab sales and what works and what doesn't. For me the sales process and licensing isn't working and for nearly decades I have bought into a lot of software. The three sales hurdles I mentioned earlier each put me off my stride and I failed the purchasing course at the starting line. Additionally MAS doesn't really work for me, you or Affinity but it does for Apple. MAS takes a huge chunk in fees, what is it, 30%+?. By all your reasoning about development and costs, are Mac users therefore subsiding Win users?

You are also perhaps overlooking that the licensing terms that permit installing the app on multiple Macs or Windows but not both only applies to personal, non-comercial use......

Well that's not necessarily true either.

So for professional users this is a moot point -- they still need to buy one license per computer, whether or not they are the same platform.

That's not right either. According to the Windows Affinity license, it says:

"As a commercial enterprise, you can download, install, use and run one copy of the Serif Software for use either:

a. by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use, own or control, or

b. by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control."

I cannot find the Mac license to check what that says but one would assume it's the same.

So what really would be crazy is for Serif/Affinity to abandon that revenue stream, particularly just so they could offer a token discount to non-professional, multi-platform users.

I couldn't care less (as a user) about the limitations and problems caused by MAS and I'm not asking for anyone to abandon revenue streams (you're putting word in my mouth again), but do I really have to say it again; I am one of those (potential) revenue streams that now isn't? And where are we drawing the line between pro and non-pro users? You have no idea what camp I'm in at home or work?

Forget I even asked, or fed back here on this forum about what I think. The mind-set is already in place it seems and I'm out before I even got in, as I suspect many others are (though you'd probably never meet or hear from them). Anyone currently wanting and paying for both platforms accepts the deal, pays twice and swallows that slightly difficult hurdle (except, it seems, the person who started this question).

Sales 101

Don't make the customer work too hard to buy things, don't let the customer feel trapped or stitched for extra costs. Make the customer feel good about their purchase, make the customer feel they're helping and part of something. Without that customer, there is less profit, less growth and less recommendation.

That's not right either. According to the Windows Affinity license, it says:

"As a commercial enterprise, you can download, install, use and run one copy of the Serif Software for use either:

(a) by one specific individual on each of the Windows Computer(s) that they use, own or control, or

( B) by multiple individuals on a single shared Windows Computer that you own or control."

I cannot find the Mac license to check what that says but one would assume it's the same.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/10141-licensing-how-many-computers/?p=43647

they can use it on two Macs simultaneously themselves

that is where I got the info but maybe they changed it 

Let me offer a different pricing analogy. I want to take 6 people out for a fine dinner. 2 are strict vegans, and will not sit at the same table as meat eaters. I, an omnivore, don't really care as long as the food is good. Do I demand that the restaurant give me 2 tables at the same price as 1? I am their patron, why should I have to bear the extra expense? Not that I care. I have plenty of money. Its just that Chef "X" is the best in town, and I'd rather have chef's here than anything offered elsewhere. Still, if the restaurant wants my patronage, shouldn't it, erm, accommodate me?

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I'm merely trying to point out how to grab sales and what works and what doesn't.

No, you are just pointing out what does not work for you & speculating about what might not for an unknown number of others. And whether you will admit it or not, for you that centers on what you would have to pay to use both versions of the software vs. what someone would have to pay to use just one version, so for you it clearly is about money.

You say what works is to make customers feel good about their purchase, yet you ignore how many people do not feel good about being roped into Adobe's subscription plans, & all the posts here from people saying how much better they like Affinity's non-subscription sales model, including from many who have paid to use both the Mac & Windows versions.

You say that as a user you don't care about the "limitations and problems" caused by MAS, yet you ignore how successful that has been for generating sales volume, not just for Affinity but also for other companies.

So, with all that you have said in mind, I have to question if you really know much about what does & does not work to generate sales in real world, practical terms.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

..... Do I demand that the restaurant give me 2 tables at the same price as 1?

I'm not sure which way around you're analogy supports and I've never eaten in a restaurant that charges per table? Maybe it's a US surcharge thing or something really expensive restaurants do that charge you a table privilege rather than sitting on the floor?!  :-)  Restaurants I go to just supply our chosen meals at an agreed price per course no matter how many tables we may decide to occupy.

Unlike I'm finding here though, I don't also have to consider the price of what other people in the restaurant are eating or the costs and complications of running the establishment. Apparently here at Affinity Restaurant I do have to think about that and also need to pay twice if I decide to change seat or visit the other table.

@R C-R

It is clear that whatever I've said or observed, you keep telling me what I 'should' think, what I 'don't' know or what I'm evidently 'ignoring', none of which really is to do with what I've said and ultimately doesn't actually answer or solve why I'm not feeling able to be a paying customer.

So all I can say is, for me, your reasoning hasn't added up or justified anything.

Your last sentence is just troubling and I can't work if  I should even respond. Without going into a long list of details, I probably know quiet a bit more than you give me credit for from all sides of the fence (as a buyer, seller and creator) in bricks and mortar retailing, eCommerce, web-design/hosting and education. That said I'm not rich and spend too much on buying and selling costs and do have to watch the pennies. So, for me, and many like me, I do know something about what will make me buy something over what will not. I also know how to sell, supply and keep customers feeling good.

As mentioned before, I've been part of this digital industry's changes for nearly 30 years and we've all witnessed the more recent wonders of cheap Apps and software that abounds these days. Thankfully with more computers and devices in the hands of almost everyone these days, the mass market can withstand those lower prices. However, I don't like MAS or any service (PayPal/eBay/Amazon anyone?) that takes large percentages from the creators/sellers because ultimately it makes me as a buyer poorer due to the creator/seller having to charge more than otherwise and the App store/Marketplace meanwhile just gets even richer. I know it's a double edged sword and we can't always have one without the other but there is an element of injustice in there somewhere and those facilitators do make too much out of the toil of others. But don't let that determine how you think, it's just how I think and I'm entitled to feel that way.      

@MrArtist

Just to be as clear about it as possible, I am not trying to change how you personally feel about this. However, I do not think your views are representative of the intended market for these products or that -- to the extent possible in practical, real world terms -- anything you have suggested would materially change that.

I believe most potential customers understand that of necessity a dual platform license would cost more & are happy that they do not have to pay extra for that if they do not need it. Most that do seem to think it is still reasonably enough priced that this will not affect their decision to purchase one or both licenses, or that there is anything unfair or discriminatory about that. In fact, many site Affinity as a good example of the cheap, capable graphics software they have been hoping for ever since Adobe & others jumped on the subscription bandwagon.

But aside from any of that, I think Serif/Affinity knows better than any of us what will maximize their sales, keep enough profit coming in to keep the doors open & continue development, & compete effectively with the other players in this market. So far, they seem to be doing that very well.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R

Fair enough. A good discussion. A hard one though, you've made me think.

Ultimately it boils down to to the fact that if I want to use Afinity on my two computers it'll cost me twice as much.

If there were a dual-platform deal I would consider using Affinity.

Regards

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, huzai said:

I am changing main machine from windows to mac..is it possible to change key?..since I have windows key.. need someone with mac key.

Except possibly for the version sold via an XRite promo offer, there are no Mac keys. The Mac versions are sold through the Mac App Store & like all other apps sold there are keyed to your Apple ID.

Affinity Photo 

Just stumbled on this topic, interesting to hear other users thoughts, or potential users thoughts anyway.

Me? I was an early adopter of the Affinity apps, I have Designer for Mac, Photo for Mac, and Photo for iPad. When Designer for iPad is available I will quickly buy that. So I am a Mac guy but just last month I bought a Ryzen 7 PC and wanted to install the Affinity apps on it.

Did not even blink when it came to buying the Windows versions from Serif's store. Serif has separate development teams for both platforms, yes? Seems to me that I would have to be a pretty cheap bastard (pardon my language) to expect Serif to just give me Mac and Windows installers for the low price of $50. That is lunacy. Serif has to pay their bills, their employees, etc. I feel guilty enough as is buying Serif's software because I think they should be charging more for their products.

I canceled my Photoshop/Lightroom and Illustrator plans that I had the past 4 years. Over those 4 years I paid $1,525.44. On three occasions I had trouble even starting up the programs and went days not being able to use any of them. I had a Backblaze cloud storage service and the Adobe CC updater was interfering with it and at one point was erasing files. Yeah, when Adobe CC works it can be great but I found it problematic. Anyway, $1,525 for Adobe CC compared to the $200 I have spent for the Mac/Windows/iPad versions of the Affinity apps. 

The way I look at it over a 10 year period I would have spent over $3,800 for the Adobe CC plans, if I had paid for the entire Adobe CC, got all the apps, over a 10 year period that would have been some $6,400. Hypothetically, say I buy all of the Mac/Windows/Ipad versions of Designer, Photo, Publisher, buy them full price. Then say there is a 2.0 version of all of them and I pay full price again. Am I even up to $600 yet?

Someone may pay $6400 to have access to Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign over a 10 year period whereas I pay maybe $600 to have access to Designer, Photo and Publisher, and I get to use them on my Mac, PC and my iPad Pro. Even better the $5,800 savings allows me to buy a new iPad Pro every 3 years and also buy a new desktop computer every 5 years. For me I don't see what there is to complain about in terms of pricing or flexibility. I guess people have different priorities when it comes to things, but in this instance it just reminds me of that saying 'penny wise, pound foolish'.