You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shift or Ctrl + letter key: custom shortcut not working for tools

I'm assigning my own custom keyboard shortcut system (have cleared the default one) and have experienced the following:

(Affinity Photo on Windows 10, non English keyboard)

When I try to assign a shortcut for a tool in the form of Shift or Ctrl or Alt + any letter key, the new shortcut is accepted but does not work. Single letter shortcuts work, Shift or Ctrl or Alt + any letter key shortcuts also work for other functions (like select all or filters ect.) but not for tools. Am I doing something wrong here or is this some limitation I don't know about or is it a bug? :huh:

Example:

- Go to Edit>Preferences>Custom Keyboard Shortcuts, click "clear all shortcuts"

- Open the Tools panel and assign Ctrl+d for the flood fill tool.

the shortcut doesn't work. Nor any other Shift or Ctrl or Alt + any letter key shortcut for any tool.

• 2 weeks later...

The issue I described above still isn't solved and I'm still wondering whether this can be reproduced with other users? Whether it is a known limitation or a bug or if it's just me doing something wrong. I can live without using Shift or Ctrl or Alt + any letter key shortcut for a tool but it would be nice to find out about it so I know how to plan my custom shortcuts chart. Can you help?

In the other thread you stated that all shortcuts behave as expected as long as you make sure the 'Ignore Modifier' checkbox is not checked. Are you now saying that this doesn't seem to be the case? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This is what I wrote in the other thread in my latest update:

I still run into very few exceptions (eg.: trying to assign a shortcut to grow/shrink selection crashes AP or trying to assign a Ctrl or Shift or Alt + letter key shortcut to a tool does not seem to work)

I find that assigning keyboard shortcuts with the 'Ignore Modifier' checkbox unchecked generally work well enough to be useful and reliable but there are still limitations that I don't understand, that are not explained.

I see. Thanks for the clarification! Speaking of which, it would be good to get some clarification about this from Serif.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)