You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Converting Pixel drawing to Vector?

1 hour ago, creator said:

Some weeks ago I was on the way to buy the desktop version of Vector Magic. Since there are no updates since five years, I tried to get in contact with their support. Didn't get any answer, they seem to be out of business.

Sorry to here that, I dislike poor customer service, there really is no excuse for ignoring a customer or potential customer, in so doing they lost another sale and that’s bad business. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Some other forum threads about bitmap tracing/vectorization:

Vectorization and autotracing software for Win + Macs:

Online tracing tools:

Online centerline supporting tracing tools:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 5 months later...
On 3/2/2020 at 3:16 PM, miss_c said:

I absolutely agree. Would be great to have this auto-trace function added to Affinity Designer in the future. 

Is there a link to add that feature request somewhere?

Tracing is as much a standart vector tool like distortion - as Designer does have neither of those, Affinity Designer is not a real Vector Design Application.

• 2 months later...

I just bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer.  I fully expected that one or the other would include the photo to vector conversion feature.  It is very disappointing for me, because I kinda assumed that a successful, modern vector design app would naturally include that feature.  I think that a lot of people have that kind of expectation.  I hope that the creation of that feature is currently under way at Serif, and that it gets the highest priority.  Otherwise, people will look for other products to satisfy that need, and this will tend to sap support for the Affinity products.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:41 AM, Thomahawk said:

Tracing is as much a standart vector tool like distortion - as Designer does have neither of those, Affinity Designer is not a real Vector Design Application.

Matter of opinion. In my books autotrace is not a standard feature.

Of course it's a matter of opinion, but opinions and expectations drive sales and the overall success of an app.  Many of us bought the app because we were impressed with its design and feature set.  Had I known that it lacked this specific feature, there's a good chance that I wouldn't have bought it.  I think a lot of people like the app and want it to succeed, myself included.  Adobe is fabulously successful with its apps.  They have long since figured out how to implement this specific feature, despite it being a significant technical challenge, and given that the Affinity apps compete with Adobe's apps, one would hope and expect that the Affinity apps would actually be competitive by providing the most desirable features found in Adobe's apps.  Otherwise, it's easily seen as not quite measuring up, or lacking in some critical areas.  I really want them to succeed.  Success is often tied to a company's ability to keep up with their competitors.  I hope they can do that.

• 3 weeks later...

2021 and I am still hoping for this feature to be added to Affinity Designer - I used Illustrator before but their prices are insane for someone who does this as a hobby 
I basically need Affinity Designer for exactly this purpose - I will often grab pictures or logos and then convert them to vectors to use with a laser cutter 
Ever since I bought Affinity Designer I kinda regret it - I mean for the price it costs its not that big of a loss - but I was really setting my hope into this software to replace Illustrator for me and it does in most ways, except for the image tracing ... now every time I need this again Affinity Designer feels more like a crutch than a permanent solution as I often spend hours tracing high contrast images by hand :( 

v_kyr Kindly made this list of alternatives...
Some desktop app tools
    •    potrace (Win/Mac/Linux, free)
    •    DragPotrace (a Mac only GUI frontend for potrace, free)
    •    autotrace (Win/Mac/Linux, free)
    •    Inkscape (Win/Mac/Linux, free)
    •    Intaglio Vectorize (Mac, free)
    •    MS Expression Design 4 (Win, free to use since longer times since discontinuous)
    •    Super Vectorizer (Mac, commercial)
    •    Image Vectorizer (Mac, commercial)
    •    Vector Magic (Win/Mac, commercial)
    •    ...and so on...
Some online tracing tools:
    •    www.autotracer.org
    •    www.vectorizer.io
    •    www.vectorization.org
    •    www.photopea.org
    •    online-converting.com/autotrace/
    •    online.rapidresizer.com/tracer.php
    •    ...and so on...

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I recently had this question, with a logo for an organisation I did some work for.

Most people have no idea of the difference between vector and bitmap, and these guys were no different. I tried a number of different solutions, on-line, apps, and so on. None produced any results of any use.

So I used an online freelance service. There are a few, but I used fiverr 

I asked that it was done in layers (the original had been, but none of the apps could work this out) and the result came back in a day. Under a tenner, so I gave a small tip too. Expensive for doing multiple vectorisation, I'm sure, but for a one off - perfect. 

Edited by Affinite
typo

My go-to's are  Intaglio Vectorize and Image Vectorizer which can also generate decent Vector Halftones, both are brilliant for constructing work destined for screen print - I also have Super Vectorizer which is not great and not too acruate, but can handle more colours - there's also image tracing available in VectorStyler but it's not really upto the job - Also tried Inkscape but never got anywhere as seems too laggy and buggy on the Mac but does look as though with some time and effort you could get some usable results 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There's no excuse in my opinion. In a piece of vector software, the ability to trace cuts work time exponentially and is among the most valuable tools to a vector artist and productivity. If I can use the magic selection tool in pixel persona and get a selection shape based on pixels that I'd be happy with as a vector, why can't they just turn that selection into a vector shape? That's all that's needed! I don't need a tool that does the entire image! In fact having a tool that turns a selection into a vector would be JUST as useful if not MORE useful then sliders and settings.

This is a frequently requested feature, so looking for even a partial solution should be a priority. Don't waste your breath talking about all the other crappy or overpriced options that are a available out there. I've used most and paid for some, this is a matter of enabling artists to save time and effort and increase productivity. Every time I have to go to another piece of software to accomplish something, it doubles the time required.

And, as I've stated above, if they already have the ability to select pixels, it's just a matter of adding a vector to the already existing feature.

I can give affinity props and 4 out of 5 stars for everything they've done to date! I love it all! But the last star in their 5 star rating will always be held back until they make an effort to solve this one missing feature. (And yes it is an essential tool for vector artists, anyone who says otherwise is spending a lot more time than they need to to accomplish their work).

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...