You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

border on a image in a composite

I am trying to put a border around an image that has been "place" or copy/pasted into another image but have not been able to add a border because after doing a resize of the canvas, and yes, the layer being affected is selected in the stack.

Rather than developing and then using the Affinity Persona at this stage, I like to do all the basic work on the various individual layers to be used first just in case I totally mess things up. BU BU BU  lol.

So once I have the images done, I can then use the Marquee selection tool which is generally going to be the Elliptical and I have found that while it is not intuitive, someone in one of the videos may have mentioned or someone like Simon etc may have advised me to use the Q key for a quick mask so that the shape of the Marquee can be moved and adjusted to get the image selection desired.

At this point the problem comes to the forefront. I have tried both copy/paste and place but no luck in making a border around the image that now resides as a layer above the base image layer.

Any info on the correct procedure would be great. With DIgital Image Pro 10 it is very simple but I am trying to learn to do all things in Affinity Photo.

I am going to try to review some videos but generally the border is for the base image and not an image within another image. One would think it would be simple but so far not so much.

I am attaching a beginning .jpg but have saved all files also as .afphoto so the idea is visible but there are still one more item to have a border attached and one item what will be blended to the base background. Just wanted to solve one issue regarding the borders at this time and will add the instructions that work to my .rtf for doing composites so I have a workflow that will work for me at all times.

TIA

MW

post-50267-0-72036800-1490479307_thumb.jpg

Hi mur_phy,

Actually I see 2 or 3 methods to add borders to your copy/pasted , placed images.

You can use the FX (effects) panel to add a border to any layer. This border can be placed outside, inside or center

Or you can use any shape and clip your image to this shape, then use the properties of the shape to add a border.

@++

Dwarf

Dwarf  -- maybe I am missing something either in understanding or it is just not there.

I look at Effects (between Layers and Styles) and here is what I see -- Gausian Blur, 2 shadows, 2 Glow, Outline, 3D, Bevel/Emboss, Color Overlay and Gradient Overlay.

Now here is the kicker -- thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I first looked at Bevel/Emboss and I might use that in the future but for now I decided to try Outline and with the color wheel I was able to put the color on the two insets reasonably correctly.

For some reason, I could not get the color picker to do anything but may have to try it again unless there is a trick I have not found.

I guess even when trying to use the help files, when the terminology is not exactly what is needed for the desired effect, one can't find exactly what is needed to be done. Hopefully, if anyone else is reading this thread, he/she will see what to do.

In that vein, I also found that by doing a grouping, I could also darken and blur the background of the inset if desired. 

This program is quite different from others I have used so I am having a more difficult time in just learning how all the techniques actually work.

So thanks again for the pointer to Effects. Now while I did not find Border listed, if there is a section that you had in mind, let me know. 

Once again, I am attaching an image of the technique I used and likely tomorrow I will try to finish the project. Then it will be a matter of adjusting my .rtf to have all the items in one concise place so I have a source to job my memory as I don't do as many images now as I used to.

MW

took a look and saw that I needed to adjust the opacity of the handle border as a bit too much of the background was showing through.

post-50267-0-43596400-1490509557_thumb.jpg

Try outline in the effects panel and apply the desired size and color! - Also you can add/draw any shape you like onto your main image layer, place your inner image portion on top of that shape and group those two. - There are generally several ways to apply inner image borders here!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

hi V -- as mentioned in my earlier response, I did discover the Outline and that does exactly the job I needed done. It just was not something obvious and I was looking for the word "border" in the list which is not there. I have used color picker with another program (DIP 2006) and simply by clicking on the eyedropper, the mouse pointer would change to a dropper and one could select the color from any source but when I tried that with AP, that did not occur so not sure of the technique with this program. Any ideas related to this would also be useful. Thanks for the ideas.

MW

Not sure if you mean something like this ColorPic here or instead the AD/AP color picker? The later (the Affinity one) works usually too for picking colors from outside of the app boundaries, at least on my AD Mac version.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I have used color picker with another program (DIP 2006) and simply by clicking on the eyedropper, the mouse pointer would change to a dropper and one could select the color from any source but when I tried that with AP, that did not occur so not sure of the technique with this program.

There are two different color pickers in Affinity Photo (& Designer). One is the eyedropper that appears in the Color Studio panel & in many other places in the UI. The other is the Color Picker Tool that appears in the Tools Panel. In Photo help, this tool has its own page describing how it works, including its "Apply to Selection" mode that can 'push' the selected color onto the stroke or fill of a vector object, whichever is selected.

Both pickers place the picked color in the small round swatch immediately to the right of the eyedropper icon in the Color or Swatches panel. Clicking on that small swatch will set the currently selected foreground or background color (for brushes & such) or the stroke or fill color (for vector objects) to that color. For more about that, refer to the Color panel (Photo Persona only) help topic in Affinity Photo (it is item G in the picture of the panel).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

V & RCR  -- I will put this info into my files later on but I have a lot of other stuff to do at the moment. One is to check out the Fuji X T20 and drop into a couple places tomorrow/today to see if they have stock. However, I was able to complete the project and will attach the completed photo.

One thing that did happen strangely was that after I attempted to work on an area of the last part which was the knife on the stand and I had used a filter mask to remove the background (oh, this was not an easy one -- wish AP had the device that ON 1 has to prevent the mask from running into an adjacent area) and then I noticed that the butt area of the knife could look better with a bit of the use of the sharpening tool. 

I selected what I thought was correct -- little icon next to the mask and clicked on it and got a message to the effect that the Assistant had rastorized the image and then I could not get anything to do with the mask as even when choosing the paint brush I did not get a circle but just cross hairs. There as also a bit of a mistake in the area that I thought I had cleaned up originally but upon looking at the result in Faststone Image Viewer it was apparent.

What I did discover that I could use the in-painting tool and also the clone stamp tool and accomplished most of what I needed to do. I just don't know exactly what caused this situation nor how to avoid it in the future.

Thanks so much for the replies and I will try to spend some time by creating another set of images as a test to see if I can get the color picker to do what I want. The method I used was not bad but not as easy nor as accurate as I might like on other occasions.

post-50267-0-12334800-1490594771_thumb.jpg