You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Barcode creation--- Publisher, Designer and Photo--- Quark Xpress...

Barcoding can be done through using special barcode fonts.

In the case of Code128 or other fonts of that class you need to calculate the checksum and concatenate the beginning and end characters.

Which barcodes are you talking about? UPC, EAN? If you're doing inventory or personal use you probably don't want to mess with those since they're regulated, not to mention very limited since they're strictly numeric.

Are you talking about 2D barcodes like QR-codes?

This is a pretty complex subject that might require a LOT of programming and may not benefit the major amount of users here.

Also, barcodes and barcode reading is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to implementing a bigger system, it's basically just a fast way to enter either just numerical or alphanumeric characters. Some online services can already provide barcode vectors for you, unless you're talking about batch processing.

I have mainly done QR codes for merged business cards & static advertisements. And at that, only a handful over the years. QR codes never lived up to their hype. For static designs--one off designs--any on-line generator is easy and ubiquitous. For a company's business card design where there are a ton to do at once, having it as part of ID's merge process made sense. For that, one just uses a formula in the spreadsheet that concatenates and fills in the field info.

It's not a request I have had very often. I think there are more important fish to fry. This is certainly true for AD and for several iterations of APub.

Like tcarisland, I use fonts for other codes (for product labels, part bins and the like). Perhaps unlike tcarisland, I use paid for fonts that do not need any intervention but the numbers for the code.

Like tcarisland, I use fonts for other codes (for product labels, part bins and the like). Perhaps unlike tcarisland, I use paid for fonts that do not need any intervention but the numbers for the code.

If you're using Code128 or similar, no amount of font design can make it work just by typing in the letters. Code 93 and Code 128 needs a start and stop character at beginning of the barcode and use a checksum right before the end character. You can use online services to preprocess the text before you use the font, pay for a service or as me, just code the checksum yourself.

I made a very basic java program that covers the alphanumeric parts of Code128B here: https://github.com/tcarisland/utility-functions/blob/master/Java/Code128.java

You can of course pay for a program that does this for you, but it sounds very strange that you can just use the font directly.