You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Affinity products" -Discord chat server

Lauri

I know this isn't exactly right sub forum to share this, but I thought this was the closest one. Hopefully the admins won't mind  :)

Since the Discord is getting really popular among gamers replacing the Skype, TeamSpeak etc. I think it's a great platform for a software talk as well. There's already servers for other softwares, so this isn't the first one. So I created Discord server for "Affinity products" where users can discuss, ask for help, show their work and request feedback.

Just download the app (Don't use the browser version because it's not as good), install, register your account and log in. After that just click the invite below.

Invite link (It's recommended that you have Discord app installed and running when you click this): https://discord.gg/auDUEs5

Here's a simple guide, if someone happens to need it:

post-44924-0-96965600-1490437053_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Lauri. :)

I may be missing something, but I don't see the advantage of signing up to a separate chat service when users can "discuss, ask for help, show their work and request feedback" right here. Are you just trying to ... er ... sow discord? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Lauri. :)

I may be missing something, but I don't see the advantage of signing up to a separate chat service when users can "discuss, ask for help, show their work and request feedback" right here. :unsure:

Thanks!

No, it's not the same thing as forum. Discord chatting happens in real-time, so it's totally different. And there's also a voice chat. I wouldn't hang up on that signing up too much. It just asks your email, nickname, password and you're done. It's even quicker than when you sign-up to forums. If it's still unclear for someone, take a look at this features page: https://discordapp.com/features

No, it's not the same thing as forum.

Understood. I wasn't suggesting that they were the same, and I didn't think you were, either!

Discord chatting happens in real-time, so it's totally different.

Immediacy can have its advantages, but a platform like that will often be unsuitable for users scattered around the globe across a wide range of time zones.

Alfred spacer.png

Understood. I wasn't suggesting that they were the same, and I didn't think you were, either!

Immediacy can have its advantages, but a platform like that will often be unsuitable for users scattered around the globe across a wide range of time zones.

Yes. I get your point. It has flaws and benefits like for instance forums have  :D It's not for every use.

@arechsteiner: Thanks for your input. I understand the concept, but I don't think it's for me.

Alfred spacer.png

Joined in, always open to help fellow users regardless of having a forum or not, Discord has its own benefit of getting to know whom you are working with further, since its more real time, and more practical, than waiting for answer. Of course not everyone has to go join it, and that is okay. You stay true to what you feel is right for you to use. 

• 2 years later...
On 3/25/2017 at 10:22 AM, Lauri said:

I created Discord server for "Affinity products"

I think this is a great idea. The more people talk and share the knowlege about Affinity products the better.

Will subscribe shortly.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

there is also a canal for Dutch speaking users to.   https://discord.gg/xM4XMGcAqy

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

• 4 weeks later...

if affinity wants the program to be used not only by people aged 50+, but also by someone younger, then it would not hurt you to follow the trends. Forums are outdated. people under the age of 30 are not even aware of their existence. And discord is used by all progressive society in the world.

No offense will be said, but sometimes it seems that the affinity program is created by retirees for retirees. Take, for example, your videos on YouTube. What audience are they intended for? Astrophotographers over 80? I'm 30 and I love your program, but even I can't watch your videos because they are incredibly boring and examples of what you show as if from my childhood. But this is no longer relevant and is outdated 20 years ago.

1 hour ago, Julia04 said:

I'm 30

Ooh, when I was 30, I was sooo on the cutting edge laying out brochures, flyers and posters with QuarkXPress 3.32 and Freehand 5 on that top-of-the-line PowerBook 5300 that my buddy bought.

How time flies… :P

(Um… what was your point again? Sorry, forgot already. You know, those old brains just don't work that reliably. You'll understand in a few decades… ;))

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

@loukash funny. But I wasn't talking about age. I love Olivio's videos and learn a lot from him. But he does modern content. Affinity uses an inconvenient and outdated forum format. The procreate also has a forum, but look at how it is done. I was trying to explain that the affinity developers are a little stuck in the past in terms of communication with the community. Perhaps I explained poorly, but English is not my native language either. The discord idea is great. And it would be great if the developers supported this idea. Because now all interaction with the community takes place only through the forum and rare (and uninteresting) videos on YouTube. And I would like more content from our favorite application

• 4 months later...
On 3/25/2017 at 2:19 PM, Alfred said:

Hi folks. If I can chip in here. Adobe have huge numbers of users on Discord to discuss their products and services and there are always lots of people from different time zones on there. It's a really busy community and pulls people together quicker than forum posts so I can understand Lauri's original idea. I think I'll be checking it out :)

• 4 weeks later...

If this was on matrix with discord, telegram, irc bridges I could get behind this idea.

But I'm not on discord and have no desire to join a closed platform. I'm personally tired of another "current best" communication platform, which may become less popular over time like .... um slack.

But I'm sure many will find these type of places useful and think it's a good thing if people can find help fast.

But I just remembered how facebook destroy a vibrate community I enjoyed once, by split up communication over multi-channels. You could see the slow death in real time. And all the young people are on tiktok anyway, so perhaps a affinity tiktok group .... ;)

• 1 year later...

The other day, my Discord account got hijacked and started spamming invite links to all DMs and channels, which got me banned from a few servers including Affinity. If someone can get me unbanned, I would appreciate that. My account name is: Hazdrubal#1145