You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Oh boy!  I am seriously impressed with the fully interractive bevel, and I've only been playing for a few minutes just to see if it was easier to do a bevel in AP than in Corel Photopaint. 

Its waaaaaaaaaaay better in AP :D

Returning to the slow tablet response issue.  I'm beginning to think that there must be some prioritising of interrupts or software tasks somewhere in the system that only happens on some machines and not on others, because I was having the exact same problem with my mouse.

It has been known in Beta trials for other software I've been beta testing that even though the machines are set up exactly the same, with exactly the same software installed in exactly the same order, there were still variations in behaviour overall.

Maybe this isn't a tablet thing, but something to do with the particular and individual way that a person's operating system is set up.

I have Win 10, but I rather liked Win 8, no matter what everyone said about it, so I've messed with the settings quite a bit to make it look like Win 8, even though its Win 10.  Maybe this is to do with persona settings in some way, and not a bug after all. 

If so, then the problem is finding out which of the settings I've altered in Win 10 that's doing this to me.

The thing of having the straight line after a delay with no response in the beginning of a brush stroke happens in a lot of AP users' machines (it also makes very hard to do handwriting at even normal speed and/or an ok size ). Is not anything faulty in their (your) side, IMO. Is a known issue in AP ! :)  IMO, don't loose too much time trying to improve it... 

In a lot of users machines, it happens so while never happens/happened to them with other software. I have used tons of painting apps in Windows, since the elder times. This is an AP bug, the only chance is wait for when they have time to fix it. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Totally unrelated to Affinity but... I actually go out of my way to _ENABLE_ Cortana, both on the PC, Surface Pro 4, and Android phone, even though it's not supported in my country. Mainly for the synced notifications, it's just so great to be on the PC/Surface and get the phone notifications without having to reach it. Plus I can reply to messages straight from the PC using Cortana. Nice. :)

EDIT: I do have a Wacom tablet (regular Intuos) on Windows 10 and Affinity works just fine. Have you tried to enable Windows Ink (at least for the Affinity apps) in the driver settings?

Argh...Cortana is too invasive with privacy, but to each his/her own... I'm not fond of giving all that data away by the more or less anonymous telemetry...I'm fine with the telemetry data that still sends no matter what once ALL privacy options have been properly changed... Anyway, am the same with phones, Facebook, Twitter... I use all the apps, I don't limit myself from that, but to give so much without some checks... But I fully respect that other focus.

Of course, I'm biased - she's a girl.  Now if we could have an alternative male persona I probably wouldn't have such a problem with him making unlooked for suggestions all the time  :P

And yes - I have windows ink installed and enabled... which is I presume why my tablet works with all my other software without any problems at all - even the dinosaur stuff I've got.  It boots with the machine, automatically, and is always active.

From what others have said over at the Guild (Cartographer's Guild), it seems that some intuos tablets work with AP without a problem, and others don't.  Unfortunately mine (called a 'One') is one that doesn't.  This is a new version of the Bamboo, and likely to become very common, being at the cheaper end of the series.

Most, if not all, cartographers use tablets, not mice, and most of the PS users seem to show quite an intense interest in anything that can rival PS.  I guess the way that the threads that mention AP over at the Guild get such high viewing counts is an indication of just how many of them are totally fed up with the 'rent by the month' fashion they are being forced to pay through the nose for the software they use. 

Hmmm...my Intuos 4 works with EVERYTHING on earth that can make a cursor move and paint... Still, has the delay issue. I'm 100% sure is not on my side... And a bamboo is probably the most purchased digital tablet ever. It should work...

IMO, you are better off just waiting  the next version, 1.6, was said that could come in Easter, but a product announce with any company can be delayed months, some times years, just consider that.

Meanwhile, if I were you, I'd consider using a combination of Krita (mostly) , Inkscape and Gimp. I know by long experience, even with work at the jobs, that that combo can get totally professional if you get really deep into its handling , UI philosophy, and well, just doing a serious complete project for it. Worths it as is open source, it rarely will go anywhere, as Gimp is very solidly linked to the community -devs come and go, but the project will remain, just like Blender 3D. Their code is free ! -  is not a suspect of mine... I do maps, too, I'm a full time freelance illustrator, and I pretty well know you can do any map, even with each of them alone ! Just would be longer than it could be.

That said, my advice is even doing so, keeping in mind that Affinity's tools aim very high, and are already not just a very easy to learn UI and applications, is also capable of doing things very in the professional edge, some stuff never added in hobbyist software.  So... IMO, these are tools that are a must to purchase. BUT...My take is using several, as not every app, or combo of apps is the best for every project.  Yet though, if Affinity tools keep evolving, I believe at some point you willl be able to use only AP and AD for all your graphic needs. Which is of course ideal for working comfortably. But as I'm saying, using the others as helpers, or even alternatives for certain projects or workflows, will be always an extra super power.  :) 

Even if the brush issues (is not the only one, is just one that you have enconutered :) ) don't get solved for a long time, the apps are already extremely usefu for graphic production, it is IMO silly not to purchase them at this cheap price..one never knows when things could get pricier, and this is not the logical price for applications of this value, in several senses.

They're still making and selling the one I've got - a best seller on Amazon.  My model is called 'One', not 'Bamboo One', so I think we may be talking about slightly different tablets here?

Don't worry. you have a very nice and standard tablet. If even a Trust and a Genius work with everything, and, almost all the Wacom gamma, as I have had  : Wacom Volito, Graphires, Bamboos, Intuos1, Intuos 4, Intuos 5, and older times, a Kurta tablet, Summagraphics large one, even a cheapo BestBuy model, a Trust and a Genius.  Worked GREAT without these issues. Of course, Gimp in the old times, it was a nightmare to get the tablet working for it, but not anymore. And sometimes Wacom has issues in general with the driver, or gets suddenly the config messed up, etc. But that's just Wacom's driver fault. The typical Wacom issues, I know them so well I could list them in detail. And are never, in my experience, what happens when painting in AP and AD. but these issues have been identified and are, I believe, known by the devs, surely to be addressed when other bunch of fixes and features are done. If I remember well, the developers I believe have recognized in several threads that these detected problems are actually issues.

Windows INK setting tends to be problematic to be activated, not the other way around. Not only for AP and AD, for other software it create conflicts and problems.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Thank you so much - for all the information and advice, SrPX :)

I already use everything I've got in combination, though at times I can forget where I am and try doing things the Corel way in GIMP, or even the Blender way in Vue, which can get a bit frustrating if you're really 'into' a graphic!  LOL!  Too many reorientation interruptions and not enough workflow.  That's why I dream of finding a one-app solution - one that I can then learn inside out and use for 90 % of the time without interruption.

GIMP is my main app atm because Krita freezes up on the size and complexity of graphic I usually produce (on average about 30 layers at 8000 x 4-6000 pi), and until the tablet thing is sorted out its likely to stay that way, even though I find it hard to use because most of the techniques are alien to all the things I already know about how graphics software in general behaves.  GIMP is also very clunky in comparison to AP - a bit like comparing a Stegosaur to an F1 racing car, but since most of what I do depends on fluidity of stroke and using a tablet... :shrug:....

I intend to purchase AP, despite the tablet/mouse problems I'm having with it (the mouse suffers a similar delay - on my machine at least), because I've never seen anything quite like it where interactive layer effects are concerned.  Just taking one example of many, the bevel effect leaves GIMP in the dark - GIMP being practically incapable of producing a static effect that gets anywhere near AP.  One suggestion, though, is to change the default setting from 'pillow' to 'inner', since that is what most people expect to see when they ask for a bevel.  I did find the outer shadow a bit disconcerting when I first switched it on and got a pillow effect.  Being able to see the bevel as I continued to draw on that layer was totally amazing, though - top marks for that one! :D

Having no idea about how you work, some suggestions could be a shot in the dark, but here they go, from illustrator to cartographer ;)

A) - Using Krita : if you are having probs in your machine, maybe then, If possible, do all the line art in one single layer, a file just with that. Configure a good ink brush, with some line stabilization -Krita excels in this, if well configured- , then export in any format and import into AP. Then for coloring/painting is not such issue the brush delay at start of stroke, (there are other problems, though). So, in AP you would be doing all the heavy layers work, effects, etc, over a nicely inked b/w page, carefully inked in Krita. Or on paper.

B )  - Other way, just.. zoom in!  I dislike working so a lot (btu seems to solve a lot of the issues), as even in my traditional art formation years, I was taught to always see the global picture as all bad can happen if not...BUT...for a map... provided that you base on a sketch (and sketches are not a prob in AP, as you can go lousy, etc) done in a global view, you then zoom in, as once you are in larger zoom than 1:1, specially more zoomed in, like in a 2:1 orr more, the performance issues drastically improve. I don't know why is this, but I did almost a thesis here about it and other of the brushes issues, also with different ones in AD. I just don't seem to be able to find my own threads, as I have written too much, lol... But were actual careful tests trying to hunt the issues and showing them in a repeatable way. So : Sketch base, and do -all inside AP, this ( B) option- and then ink in zoomed in. I would never do so for my illustrations, I prefer to do it even with MS paint rather than that... But I totally believe that for maps is even totally fine. At least in the meantime that we get 1.6. Which can be a very long while, yet.

C) Third option, again, depends on your workflow and style: Some sepia/medieval maps would allow this... Hand drawn  ink the map, scan, and do all the layers work in AP. If you are not referring to line art, but just oiil/acrylics like digital painting, I'd say for that is just fine, although the delay is certainly not comfortable, like other issues for painting.

D) 4th: As a kind of an experiment, try to minimize the number of layers so that you could use Krita (or GIMP, etc) in the meantime that AP gets the brush engine rewritten or something. One way to do this is realizing all you need is empty transparent space and selections, and so use as much 5 layers....: You can maybe reduce all to 5 layers, each having just elements that don't overlap- like vaults of objects each, but with always enough transparent pixel around to be able to select easily one of those elements, 

E) Keep your workflow and apps for now, and wait until there's released a version with the brush system largely improved.

Wow, Thanks :D

That's a lot to think about.  I guess I do it differently with every map I make.  They're all different.

Here's my Cartographer's Guild album - it might give you some idea of just how mixed up and mongrel my 'style' (if I even have a style) really is.  I get a bit bored of churning out maps that are all the same, so I go out of my way to make them all completely different to one another ;)

If you have problem with Wacom tablet you can try restart Wacom Service - as explained here. Other solution is looking for older driver, but it some case it make things worse too.

I use two Wacom tablet - older Bamboo and new Intuos (home and work). Older Intuos driver work fine with Bamboo, but new driver block pen keys.

If you like you can change driver from Wacom page.

I have two Wacom tablets, Intuos Art (works flawlessly) and old Graphire (ET-0405-U).

With the latter I have some issues while working in both Affinity Photo and Designer.

Cursor should have selected brush shape and size, right?

Well, it does, unless (while stylus still in detection range) you don't:

- touch CTRL/ALT keys (cursor changes to standard arrow and stays that way)

- change your brush size (cursor size doesn't change)

It seems there is a problem with cursor image/size refreshing, as the brush itself works as intended.

There is a workaround though - if I need to change my brush size, undo/redo/whatever, I have to move stylus out of detection range first.

Windows 10 Home x64

Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54

Affinity Designer 1.5.2.58

Wacom drivers 6.05-7, as I've had some serious issues with the latest (6.15-3a) drivers

I have two Wacom tablets, Intuos Art (works flawlessly) and old Graphire (ET-0405-U).

With the latter I have some issues while working in both Affinity Photo and Designer.

Cursor should have selected brush shape and size, right?

Well, it does, unless (while stylus still in detection range) you don't:

- touch CTRL/ALT keys (cursor changes to standard arrow and stays that way)

- change your brush size (cursor size doesn't change)

It seems there is a problem with cursor image/size refreshing, as the brush itself works as intended.

There is a workaround though - if I need to change my brush size, undo/redo/whatever, I have to move stylus out of detection range first.

Windows 10 Home x64

Affinity Photo 1.5.1.54

Affinity Designer 1.5.2.58

Wacom drivers 6.05-7, as I've had some serious issues with the latest (6.15-3a) drivers

Thanks for the added information :)

nice work, mouse :)  I specially like the Merelan city :)

IMO; that sort of work is not so critical with the brush delay issue as would be inking/ line art (but some of your maps are line art based). But I'd agree is quite unpleasant. 

can the Graphires go with more modern drivers ? As in my tests, one can install recent drivers with really old devices...That might help.

Thanks for the compliment SrPx :)

Tablet drivers - This is just a thought, but... if all of this delayed response thing is purely down to which drivers we all have installed, then maybe we should be taking this to Wacom, rather than putting these poor chaps and chappesses at Affinity through the hoops trying to get everything to work smoothly together from the wrong end?

if all of this delayed response thing is purely down to which drivers we all have installed

Well, it's only a suspicion, but I'm 99.99999 % is not a Wacom's issue.   :)  (other painting tools would have the same issues... )  (plus, the delay is not the only prob with brushes in AP/AD)

I'm still scratching my head about all of this really.

If its not a Wacom driver thing, then why is it that some Wacom tablets work ok, and some have this weird delay?

Could it be as simple as a processing priority instruction - a processor problem, or a bus problem - speed?

I have an Intel Pentium i3-32172 at 1.8 GHz.  That's very low really compared to some machines.  Maybe that's what's causing the problem.  I mean... if all the Affinity coders are using wiz kid machines that make mine look like a pocket calculator, no wonder its impossible to see that there might be a problem with a lesser machine + tablet combination.

Maybe we should be comparing processors and speed, rather than make of tablet?

If its not a Wacom driver thing, then why is it that some Wacom tablets work ok, and some have this weird delay?

I quite believe it occurs in mostly working on Windows platform. Those in Windows saying they don't have it, imo : a) They have not made the pertinent fine tests to really notice it, and/or their way of painting allows them not to detect it     B) As said, they are in Windows, but their hardware is really good, and "maybe" (wild guess here) really good cpu/card/RAM makes it less noticeable.   Trust me, is not the tablet or the machine, majorly.... :). Probably the nature of this more sophisticated graphic brush system is what makes it more hardware dependent. But i suspect there's... sth else, some problems there, not the tablet or type of of PC being the cause. Indeed, I'm convinced of it. The several brush related bugs are in the app... :) . So, don't start thinking on changing/upgrading your machine just for that... it ain't her fault...

"Could it be as simple as a processing priority instruction - a processor problem, or a bus problem - speed?"

Strongly doubt it. More of sth that happens in the code / engine or just the graphic libraries that the app have to call, in Windows platform. For the looks of it all.

Your cpu is not the last thing in power, I see. Neither is mine. But imo, not the point. This i7 can deal with huge print files, super complex 3D scenes, very large video editing files, illustrations of any kinds,  etc, etc, etc. And even play some of the latest games in low settings ! .

I have an Intel Pentium i3-32172 at 1.8 GHz.  That's very low really compared to some machines.  Maybe that's what's causing the problem.  I mean... if all the Affinity coders are using wiz kid machines that make mine look like a pocket calculator, no wonder its impossible to see that there might be a problem with a lesser machine + tablet combination.

All that might have sense, but IMO, not the case.  If anything, that with super great hardware AND mac OS, it is less noticeable. But if some code is doing something not in the best way possible (some loop with a problem whatever), it's happening always, even if less noticeable. IMO, much better to make it behave properly (which will come when possible for the company, not before). Also, as it seems to me than the majority of people not wanting to pay subscription or more expensive suites, is not usually having the best of the best machines, neither a habit to upgrade it/replace it often.. Just average-low, decent machines as much.

You have come recently, but I have seen threads with users complaining, when even having a dream come true machine, others with a more modest machine, by far, reporting they see no problem (which, btw, may or may not be the case. Each people needs the tool differently. Some might not be making the actual determinant tests...)

I reached even a conclusion, that it was the card -I have poor arcane graphic card-  but then, have read from them that the card makes not much  in terms of performance. of course, they probably were speaking about 2D editing performance, and the brush issues / performance bei ng an independent, different batch of problems, apart from that.

Again, I'd wait to see if the next to come 1.6 has this and other brush issues solved. Maybe keep temporarily working with Krita, Gimp etc till 1.6. If in this version this neither comes fixed, maybe then do a more permanent decision for your painting tool (open source krita + Gimp, or other options)  . But IMO, if your actual tools at least do the job, even if slow, doesn't look a bad idea to use a little patience, see what happens in 1.6 or even earlier betas to that. AP is already more feature set complete than any of those, for sure, and attends to the pro needs with more attention to what the market requires. (while Krita focus mostly in being a great tool for painting...and Gimp, even attends less certain printing/color management/cmyk features than Krita. (that and other reasons why I prefer by far krita to the other. But for pure editing, and leaving out all the printing world (sigh) GIMP does all needed, almost. ))

Both work great with Wacom pens. Inkscape, also, has an ink pen tool which is amazing. You can do perfectly all your art with both, if are fine to be swapping often -psd format works great in both- (of course, nothing fancy like layer effects, need to flatten that often)

IMO, one way or the other, these are the 2 tools (AP/AD) to have always in the scope as key ones for the future.  But no, I don't believe is your system fault. It could be there's some  incompatibility with the app with devices (or drivers) in Windows PC though, who knows (well, not me), as there I think I've read there has not been much time/chances to test many very different Windows machines I believe, to test it in many windows different hardware, being the Macs what it seems the app's original machine, and much more uniform in the hardware in their different models. So this all might have caused several brush system issues not being detected in its day. (they are aware now, btw, I, for example, reported a lot of stuff some time ago)

I'm still scratching my head about all of this really.

Could it be as simple as a processing priority instruction - a processor problem, or a bus problem - speed?

Nah a graphics tablet and it's driver usually doesn't need so much system resources, it's no CPU power hungry device and thus much more similar to like using a mouse instead as everything else here. So even a pocket calculator usually can drive that easily ... ;) .

As I told you before, look how your other drawing software under Win behaves with it. If other software works just fine and flowly with it here, it's no tablet driver or computer problem, then it's probably an AP software problem!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks guys :)

I was fully intending to continue using GIMP/Campaign Cartographer 3/Corel suite 11 for fine drawing details while I wait for AP to evolve.  I just thought it would be helpful of me to make a few suggestions as to what might be causing the delay.  There is after all no solid proof that its 100% an Affinity problem ;)

My graphics card is an Intel® HD Graphics 4000.  I guess that since this is an HP Pavilion laptop (lower end of the range) its designed to be able to play DVDs quite nicely, but other than that I wouldn't know about any particular qualities/disadvantages.

You can test your tablet with old windows Paint. If you ask me, I'm more inclined to think there is some issue in .net or visual c++ as this issues seem to love apps that use those things. :)

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

All my graphics apps use Visual C++.

The tablet works perfectly with GIMP, and Krita, though Krita's usefulness to me is limited because its a memory glutton.  Because of the size I like to work at (anything up to 8000 x 8000 pixels) Krita has a tendency to freeze up altogether, and then I have to use the Task Manager to force a shut down without saving my work.  (digital maps have at least 20 layers, which doesn't help with Krita).

I've only 4 GB RAM to play with ;)

If you frequently work with 8000 x 8000 image sizes you mentioned, you really need more RAM (lots of it) for a smooth experience; also, Krita doesn't work very well with integrated Intel graphics. 

System specs: Win 8.1 Pro 64bit | AMD PhenomII X6 1055T @ 3.0Ghz | 16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz | WD10EZEX | GTX 960 4GB | Wacom CTL-672

Ah well the problem must be the Intel, because I've done the same with AP just now (not a map, just a scribble with a load of effects and 20 layers), and it slows down a bit (to be expected), but it doesn't freeze up like Krita does.

As a side note/observation AP does far better with limited RAM than most other graphics packages, but I expect that's because its not already carrying around a whole load of legacy code from the last 25 years ;)

I usually use vector apps for the larger maps, which have potential for unlimited scale and can be exported as a series of 10000 x 10000 grid squares if necessary.

One in particular that I use is a dedicated piece of mapping software, and the file size on that is rarely more than 1MB, because the bitmap fills and symbols are only ever referenced, rather than included in the file.

I'll be trying AD when I have the time ;)

Look... you reaaaaally have low memory.   :) No offense intended.   :)

I'm in 8GB, and hit the limits like every 2 minutes...

For the quality of work, layers and resolution in your every day thing, you really really should consider 16gb. My new machine, there's no way it wont have that... at least !

If AP does not crash on you with that resolution , 30 layer and layer effects, IMO, is more of a huge compliment to AP, which then is getting similar good deal with it like PS. But if you had a proper machine, Krita would work great. I have a better situation than you, despite my machine being a tad older (2008/2009)

I have an i7 first generation, 8gb, terribly old graphic card, underpowered as heck , there. Krita works great, here. Of course, I don't do 30 layers with it, but yep 15 -20...and no effects, usually. The type of illustration I'd be using 30 layers (I have a map with 200+ ! ) would be done with Gimp... PS is a great tool for that, too.  And wil be AP in my case once the brush engine is re-written (have not purchased that one yet, but know it quite as tested it with a passion in the free beta period...)

Thanks guys :)

I was fully intending to continue using GIMP/Campaign Cartographer 3/Corel suite 11 for fine drawing details while I wait for AP to evolve.  I just thought it would be helpful of me to make a few suggestions as to what might be causing the delay.  There is after all no solid proof that its 100% an Affinity problem ;)

Well, ... I tested... veeery deeply this matter. if like absolutely any thing that paints on earth hasn't got the issue, and AP does... heck, do your math... but you can keep thinking is your hardware ;) ;)... It will be a positive thing, even if wrong, as can lead you to : A) purchase a desktop machine, as in laptops, no matter what, there's always less performance in equal pieces, equal settings in comparison. I believe as they have less chances to good refrigeration and the chips are less geared to get the highest performance...  It might lead you as well to purchase more ram, and  a better cpu. While I am not a super fanboy of multi cores, I do believe total clock speed AND cpu features with current applications do matter more, the fact is that an i3 is just a dual core... I have 4 cores in this old thing (so, when usual system resident processes are in the background, 2 or so are much more very free...)... Also, i3 tends to have everything reduced... cpu cache, etc, etc, etc... features stripped, a very long etc. basically i3 cores are thought for office use, browsing, email not much more, they are very capable in good hands, as ntel make powerful chips, but hey, you can't do any magic with that.

Main point is: Yes, it struggles in krita, but yep is expected. You are crunching the limits with that, which has a ton of merit -I'm of the "optimize better than over waste" group of people, but all has a limit. My take : For anything graphic, there should be almost two golden rules (with exceptions as there's  a wild variety of type of activities) an i5 to work comfortably for middle range type of projects, usual in hobbyists' work, and i7 for serious pro work. I dunno if you do it for hobby or are a full time freelancer like me, but if the former, you are doing work which has totally pro requirements... with an -ouch- i3, 4gb laptop !  You are a hero, but I'd follow here the rule of "work smarter, not harder". With an i7 and 16gb, even leaving the today's kabylake card integrated (they can handle 4k video !!! that's not underpowered at all) and wait for more cash get in for a future card,  you'd pull a lot more work. 

Our work requires an investment. I know I'm the worst example, with a machine being 9 years old, but I purchased a very carefully thought medium-high range machine in its day, and pick every single piece in a shop were I could make that with the person there, even having to oppose to any of their "recommended" pieces (they gotta get ride of certain hard to sell stock ! ) . I'm all for savings (heh, Affinity is a great one) , but imo, every 8 years is a very generous limit to replace a machine (most of my colleagues do so every 5 years, more sensible if you have the cash) and of course, there's this very curious rule : If you buy the usual low range one, you'll be replacing much sooner or loosing montains of income instead, as what it slows you down is a lot of less work at the end of the month. Going cheap is expensive in certain ways. if you buy like me, not the very latest beast (right now would be a 64 GB 6800k, that is not even going for a 6950x, or a xeon 22 cores, that's crazy level) but a reasonable thing. Right now IMO there are two sweet spots : the new kabylake i5 7600k, or the other famous kabylake model, i7 7700k (this is the one that I am heading for. If my type of work would suddenly requires tons of video or rendering work I'd go for a 5820k or 6800k, tho. )

I understand now better why you have a tendency to think is your laptop's fault. But trust many, many other users... is not. You'd better update your machine when time and money allows, but that machine is capable of painting without a brushing delay (or the other issues) with any other software on earth.  Handling well 30 layers with effects... well, praise AP for being able to do so with that machine, but IMO is not to blame Krita if it crashes... krita comes from a much more crash-friendly nature in its Windows port. I notice a lot less crashes in latest versions, so I get that they are progressively polishing the situation, there.

As a side note/observation AP does far better with limited RAM than most other graphics packages, but I expect that's because its not already carrying around a whole load of legacy code from the last 25 years

As much critical as I am with the brush, I'd say you could go farther here with the compliment. The legacy code is surely a fact in those other apps, but give back to Caesar what is Caesar's, Affinity here has clearly a technological edge, a serious advantage over the competitors, and I suppose is for having much better internals.

LOL!  None taken.  Truth is I blew up my desktop, which really was a mean machine with several HD and a RAID system, but when the main cooling fan breaks down in the middle of an 18 hour animation render from Blender, and you happen to be asleep, it soon fries everything before the fuse blows.  Fills the room with a fair amount of smoke as well, till you throw it out of the window because its actually on fire!

I was lucky I didn't loose the house as well as the PC.

Still, never mind.  I guess I'll be able to afford  a new one, one day :)

As for being a pro?  No.  I'm no pro.  I'm a writer turned cartographer, because a fantasy novel just isn't the same without at least one decent quality map, and I can't afford to pay for someone else to draw it for me.

Make no mistake - I'm seriously impressed by AP, and when I get around to AD I'll probably be just as impressed by that as well, but I do wish I could work out what to do about this brush delay problem, since it strikes at the very heart of my process, which is all about drawing, rather than enhancing something that's already there.

No worries, though - I'll shut up now and just get on with it - keeping a beady eye on the updates to see when its fixed ;)